1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

.357 magnum or .44 magnum for protection??

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by chico13, Apr 20, 2011.

?

.357 magnum or .44 magnum for protection??

.357 magnum 37 vote(s) 88.1%
.44 magnum 5 vote(s) 11.9%

chico13 Loaded Pockets

so witch one .357 or .44 magnum
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

I think the .357 would be easier to control!

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

This would be a bit harder and a more interesting discussion if it were ".357 Magnum VS. .44 Special."

A .44 Magnum? Only in the great American wilderness, in parts where bears are common. Even then, ONLY as a back-up to a shotgun loaded with sabot slugs or a rifle in a much different magnum caliber. Such as the .300 Remington Ultra Mag. (That'll handle the biggest and baddest bears you'll find.)

Against the two-legged variety of predator, a properly loaded .357 is the way to go out of those two choices. Not only will the recoil be more controllable, but with the right loading you can reduce penetration. The latter being a major issue since if you fire a shot with plenty of buildings all around you, and that round goes through more than just your attacker; into a building and the body of a resident . . . You're going to be going away for awhile. Possibly longer. A .44 Magnum is definitely more likely to overpenetrate compared to a .357.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

A .44 mag frame is going to limit you to a fairly large gun.

oronocova Loaded Pockets

I keep a .357 magnum by the bed. But I keep it loaded with .38+P's Recoil more manageable then the .357 and muzzle flash is somewhat less. I have a Ruger SBH in .44magnum and even with a 10.5" barrel the recoil is impressive. I wouldn't consider it a practical round for self defense simply because of the recoil. Shooting the .38+P's is like shooing a .22 by comparison to the Ruger. From what I have seen .44magnum ammo is nearly double the price of .357. Especially considering you can shoot .38s for practice out of a .357. I haven't been able to find much .44spl ammo, but I haven't had the Ruger that long either.

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Protection from what?

mrshish Empty Pockets

You also need to consider noise. If you touch off a .44 Magnum inside without hearing protection you can kiss your hearing good bye, and I mean forever.

I have a friend who shot a .44 to scare off a bear, he was partially under a large overhang on the cabin porch. Even with 3 sides open he lost over half his hearing and now has to wear hearing aids. Something he now regrets.

I would stick with a .357

jda Loaded Pockets

Depends what is causing you to need protection, 2 or 4 leg?

2 legs - .357 magnum
    4 legs - .44 magnum, or preferably larger (Hot loaded .45-70, for example garrett makes some good bear droppers- http://www.garrettcartridges.com/4570540tech.html )
    (2880 ft/lbs of dead bear.)

ovaltine Loaded Pockets

do you keep your hearing with a .45? .38? 9mm?

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I can t answer the poll.

This is the correct answer as listed above: 2 legs - .357 magnum 4 legs - .44 magnum!
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

If I was living and carrying in a part of the country where I might want to be prepared (at different times) for both 2 legged and 4 legged predators I'd consider a .44 mag. I'd load it with good .44 specials for daily carry, and switch to magnums when in the territories of 4 legged predators. If I could only afford a single pistol and needed protection form anything that walks in the US I'd seriously consider the 44 mag. Of course, now that I'm thinking about it I'd also considers a Glock 20 10mm, or maybe even a .41 mag.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Not trying to get of topic but considering 4 legged predators I would want something better like a 12 guage shotgun with appropriate loads!

Except that 12 GA, is not one of the choices.

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

A 3" Taurus Raging Bull in .44 magnum is my wilderness carry, but I still consider the .357 magnum more practical for most purposes.

--Bob Q

.357 magnum or .44 magnum for protection

If I could only have ONE (1) handgun PERIOD... for the rest of my life, and I could be confronted by a bear in a given location and a man in an other. This is a serious delema and a no win situation.

This post does state the choice is for PROTECTION!!!!!

I would have to pick a 6" .44 magnum that I could always down load with .44 specials.

For those of you that have never fired a .44, the recoil is severe and for some small lightweight folks, actually punishing. Recovery for follow up shots is slow and not a rapid fire deal.

If you need to stop something that requires a .44, .454 casoule or .500 S&W magnum for protection, a .357 is a sub caliber.

For a 2 legged individual you might never get off a second shot.

The .44 special loads are quite controlable and not far from a .45 auto. But for bear, boar or other large game this is a real choice.

Cliff
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just trying to say a pistol is not the best for 4 legged predators, now back to topic!
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

There are going to be some exceptions on predators. Mt Lion while athletic and well armed have shown not to be resilient to lower power gunfire. .38 special has been shown to be a proven American cat stopper so .357 loaded with a rapidly expanding bullet sounds ideal, one with a lot of penetration is not needed.

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

.357 is a much more practical cartridge than the .44 magnum, but i would love to just go all out Harry Callahan style one of these days![IMG]
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Have to hit it first though and they're pretty fast!

jda Loaded Pockets

The op never said it had to be a handgun. They have leverguns in both.(btw pistol= semiauto, and I don't think that is what you ment)

A .44mag levergun is a real nice deer rifle.