1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Actual experiences with self defense devices or bright lights?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by IThinkTooMuch, Mar 2, 2016.

1. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

With all the talk about tactical pens and kubatons, keychain flails, quasi-legal knucks, and blinding lights, etc.. I'm wondering if anybody has actually used those in a confrontation. And if so, what happened and how did it turn out?

I'll go first: My one experience was on the receiving end of a fist load (i.e. roll of quarters). It was effective, and very unpleasant, to say the least.

2. twoisone
    • The Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Those things would just fall out of my pocket as I'm running away hell-bent for leather! ;)

adnj and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  3. IThinkTooMuch

Oookkkaaayyy. 155 views and the only response resembles the French Army. I'm getting an epiphany, and it's not a good one.

twoisone likes this.
  4. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

I was gifted with a Fox tac pen a week ago. And yesterday I had to use it in a short but real confrontation. It works. This kind of device are meant to provoke the greater pain possible with the lesser efforts possible. I'm 55 kilograms and despite of a martial and combat training (In the past) I will not be able to ko a person that is really bigger than me. It's the reality. But with the pen just a hit on the chest was resolutive. It doesn't leave anything than intense pain if used correctly . And allow me to ruin away safe. Remember that self defense are about staying safe, not about defeat an aggresson. With this point in mind this devices are really effective

Inviato dal mio SM-G360F utilizzando Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. adam766

adam766 Empty Pockets

I defended myself with a torch at work a few months ago. Was attacked while dealing with a drunk patient in a dark alley. Was carrying a reasonable size light from the ambulance which I used to blind attacker before hitting him in face with it.

Was pretty effective as it was unexpected for him and gave me a few seconds to plan while he was blinded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  6. IThinkTooMuch

Reasonable size =2 D cells or 2 CR123 cells? I'm not sure how "reasonable size" translates from British English to American English.

7. adam766

adam766 Empty Pockets

More along the lines of 2 D Cells, a horrible square thing that docks in the vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

I wonder about this too. Single 'Nuks' (also known as pocket chachkies), have virtually zero real-world usability as a means of self-defense. I've never heard of someone actually defending themselves with one. I can't fathom as scenario where I'd be wishing I had one of those. I'd rather be empty handed, than use one of those trinkets in an attack. But hey, to each their own.

GhostMeat likes this.
  9. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Here's how I used one once:

(From this thread, a few yrs ago http://edcforums.com/threads/kubotan-real-life-stories.72703/ )

Water-Rat likes this.
  10. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

Sometime ago I had to defend my family and me against a horrible attacker on the front door of our appartment.
    He knocked and rung the bell at three o clock at night.My beloved women stood up from bed and went to the door, if it was quite normal, to have such visitors at night.
    For my instincts being lot better than hers, mercifully I was first at door and got directly hit by a full bottle at my head.Now it got ugly!Always having a baton at hand , this evening I grabbed into emptiness:
    wife had cleaned up! Thankfully that I had grabbed my Extreme Duty from the nightdesk.
    Fighting back , it had not the effect expected: possibly he stood under influence of something.
    Could drive him back in a hard infight,several hits placed at head and face made him running after a time!
    Had to go to hospital to take care of two bad wounds at the head ( everyone fixed with seven stitches).
    There I heard, that the attacker was meanwhile there, too, suffering from a hole in the head and a comminuted fracture of the jaw.
    From the police it was rated legal self defense.
    Now the Extreme Duty is always with me,completed with a good tactical light with 1000 lumens for the left hand ( thought about the situation, and what could have preserve me from the hit with the bottle).
    So in my opinion a tactical pen or kubotan is a good non-lethal option for personal defense.
    Stay safe!
    Regards,
    Chris

groovster likes this.
  11. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

As a LEO I have used a "bright light" (i.e. my Surefire or my MagCharger with a TerraLux LED head (800 lumens)) to persuade a person or defuse situation several times. However, I credit using a "bright light" at least once for keeping me from shooting someone.

Granted Surefire is trying to sell flashlights but, they have a whole section on their website of "true stories" of when their lights saved the day.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  12. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

When I was a LEO I had a partner that had sort of a wild streak. Once we were on midnights and had 'tucked in' to a nice spot to observe the back of some stores in a strip mall -- about a block away -- that had recently had a number of burglaries. Sure enough, a dude came creeping out of the shadows -- carrying what looked like a crowbar, no less -- and started rattling door knobs as well as checking to see if windows were secured.

My partner, who was also an Academy instructor, took his laser pointer out and said "Watch this!" When the little red dot appeared on the wall next to the suspicious guy he turned around. When it appeared on his chest he took off running like his pants were on fire.

By the time we stopped laughing he was long gone. (I'm just glad it wasn't a security guard!)

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Aug 18, 2016
    Goob469 likes this.
  13. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

That's a great story - I think we all know that one guy!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  14. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Exactly, Goob469. He was also the practical joker that crazy glued the Chief's office door shut one night! (I strived to not get caught in the 'crossfire')