1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Alternative to Tritium?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Mr. kydex, Aug 7, 2008.

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone, first time posting (been lurking awhile), and I was wondering if anyone knows of anything like/as good as tritium but, A. legal to buy in the U.S. and B. non-radioactive

Thanks.

P.S. Awesome Forum, good to be a part of it.

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome aboard, Mr. kydex.

carrot Loaded Pockets

Welcome!

You can try glow paint, obviously, but it will lose its charge after several hours. My Seiko Orange Monster's lume (glow paint) is quite good and stays readable for quite a while after being exposed to light.

Just so you know, tritium is so hardly radioactive it is not going to be very dangerous, and in fact dissipates very quickly into the air harmlessly should a glass vial break. I'm also told that the glass stops radioactive waves from coming through the glass but I don't seem to always recall things properly.

bruner Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF Mr. kydex!

GID powder mixed with epoxy and put into any sort of semi-transparent container works great.

Hey, when you find some free time, please consider introduce yourself HERE.

:)

:db: - bruner

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for your input and the welcome :).

Could anyone tell me where I might buy some glow glue/powder :help:.

Thanks.

bruner Loaded Pockets

GlowInc.com is a favorite among CPF and EDCF members.

A while back I purchased a small amount of green glow powder from him. I mix it with 2 hour epoxy (available at any hardware store/walmart/kmart/etc...) until it's almost "clumpy" then fill or apply it to what ever you like.

Check out the Project Photo Gallery at GlowInc for ideas. I did the knife on page two of the gallery.

Also check out the More Fun With GID Powder thread.

Dan

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Thanks bruner! :).

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

Note: Tritium is popular because of its self-sustaining glow. Any other GITD products will have to be charged by exposure to light.

If you want something easy, AndyGold on CPF offers several types of GITD fobs that can be attached via split rings.

I've done business with him before and he's a great guy to deal with. He made me a couple of semi-custom pieces for the same price as a normal piece and still threw in some freebies!

greenLED Empty Pockets

Absolutely, glowinc sells the best stuff.

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Jag, Thanks for the link (very cool fobs) but i think I'd like to make my own (also not a member at CPF), however I can't find a container. I need something like a Clear pill fob (like AndyGold uses).

if anyone could help me find something that would work it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

jojobos Loaded Pockets

Try this
    At the bottom of the first post, the price for DIY clear tubes is mentioned.

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Thank you jojobos :ty:, but since i am not a member over at CPF I cannot buy from him :doh:.

however, I did just ask a big plastics company for some free ( :highfive:) samples so hopefully it'll be what I'm looking for and I'm going to make an order from Glow inc. as soon as I get some more $$$.

-- Mr. kydex

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

Did you have something against registering at CPF? It is a great forum and what does it hurt.

jojobos Loaded Pockets

Yeh, CPF is a great forum. May be you send Merkava an email?? His paypal/email address is listed in the post and I am sure he checks it. Good luck with your project!

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

No, i don't have anything against registering at CPF, i guess i just never really considered it (registering) because I'm never on CPF. but i suppose your right, what does it hurt. :)

jojobos: good point about emailing him. :thumbsup:

-- Mr. kydex

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

The reason I said this is because I registered there to order a couple of heatsinks for a mod, now I check it almost daily.

bruner Loaded Pockets

CPF is a great forum and a friend of EDC forums. We have helped each other out in the past...

I just posted a DIY about how I made mine, if anyone is interested.

Mr. Kydex,

Perhaps this will be of help to you.

Dan

:)

russtang Loaded Pockets

He's just protecting his wallet from further abuse. :laugh:

IMHO, there is no substitute for Tritium. I tried glow rings, and glow tape and powder. When your light rides around in a dark pocket all day, when it gets dark it is not "charged", and they usually on glow for a couple of hours when properly charged.

BUT, if the light or watch or whatever, is exposed to light most of the time, then glow products can be an alternative.

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, just giving my $.02 :)

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

Great post bruner, very helpful. :thumbsup:

how much glow powder did you need to use? I'm going to buy some from Glow Inc. and i was wondering how far 1/4 ounce would go.

Thanks.