1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy? (defending pets)

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by moostapha, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Excellent point. I have too. I meant that in general, the vast majority of dog owners are not idiots.

I'm going to leave my previous post "as is," since editing it would only serve to make me look good. Not the important thing in this discussion.

vegassprky, jag-engr and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo! Staff Member

I knew what you meant. My post was a little tongue-in-cheek.

In all fairness, I should have quoted it in context...
    This is logical and straight-forward, but too many people project humanity onto their pets and delegate their fellow man to the position of animals. They are more concerned about how their dog might 'feel about being isolated' than how their guests might feel about getting bit.

Of course, some owners (who probably fall into the are idiots category) may naively believe that since they have warm, fuzzy feelings about their dog, their dog is a giant teddy bear. If it aggressively bites someone, they must have been "acting wrong" around the dog or done something to make the dog bite.

Monocrom, T.H.Cone and vegassprky like this.
  3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I believe you treat all dogs with discretion until proven otherwise.

Monocrom and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

If someone tries to kill or actually kill my pet, inside my propriety, it's sure that I will respond with many force as I can, however I will not using lethal means. In another hand if my pet attack someone outside of the propriety, I can't do nothing. If someone kill or arm a clearly playful or non threatening animals, here the law allow me (and any other private) to actually arrest that person, using as many force as necessary.

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI SCL-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

5. Lollolo

Lollolo Loaded Pockets

Right, you may shoot the dog, but then you become an armed person inside my propriety. So... Can I defend myself from you, or not?

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI SCL-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

6. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Nobody enters my home without being invited. Heck, most delivery people don't even go as far as the porch. They just leave packages in the driveway, which ticks me off. Anyway, if you're in my home, you've been invited. My 80 pound golden retriever will be on a leash or in another room so all is well. If someone draws a gun in my home, regardless of who or what they point at, they won't be walking out. That person is clearly the aggressor.

malraux72 and Lollolo like this.
  7. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I have a large "handle with care" breed of dog in my home that can be very aggressive towards strangers. I make every effort to keep strangers exposure level to a minimum and keep me out of trouble. I see what you are saying but a lot of the responsibility is yours, especially if you are present. There is an element of communication missing from your hypothetical situation so it's hard to imagine you being present while your dog approaches someone in a friendly, excited way, and them pulling a gun. That said, if someone stupidly pulls a gun on your friendly dog, then they might have just stepped outside the boundary of friendship with you and could be a bit of a loose cannon. I wouldn't let someone shoot my dog if it was unwarranted. On the other hand, I've been approached by someone's (someone I knew) German Shepherds that came at me aggressively when I was 12 years old walking back to my dad's truck from a deer hunt, carrying my 25-06. I piled both of those dogs up before they were even within 50 yards of me and would do the same thing again in a heartbeat. It all depends on the situation and circumstances but owning a dog, especially dogs that are predisposed to aggression, comes with a lot of responsibility.
    I've communicated with some of my neighboring ranchers, and told them that if I fail to restrain my dog and it gets on their property, possibly going after their livestock or them, smoke him....but give me a call so that I don't have to wonder where he is or if he got hit on the highway. Now if I'm present and there is no malicious intent and my dog isn't attacking someone but they are just nervous, and pull a gun, that would be a bit ridiculous and I'm not sure what I would do but we would definitely have words before I drew on them.

jag-engr likes this.
  8. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I don't think I would ever really consider using a firearm to protect property.. a pet is property. Emotions must be kept in check and any deliberate force should be lawfully and responsibly measured. I would go full ON grizzly-bear mode to protect my dog but a gun would not be part of that.

Shike likes this.
  9. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

I am with you but some folks see pets as family.

malraux72 likes this.
  10. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I consider my pets as part of my family but they are a less important/valuable part of my family than my kids or wife. I love my dogs, but I value them differently. I might use a gun to protect them depending on the circumstances but that's dangerous territory. I think the law would get you.

Shike likes this.
  11. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

OP, keep your dog on a leash or in your control at all times regardless of leash laws and you won't have to worry about it.

I believe a lot of people can read the demeanor of the dog. If however they feel it is a serious threat and shoot your dog and you draw you may be next. It will be hard to prove at that point that your intent all along wasn't to attack that person whether by dog or buy gun.

I live in the county and there is no "leash law" however dog owners are required to be in control of their animals at all times, yet many let their dogs roam around, chase cars, antagonize and fight/kill other dogs as well as antagonize and chase people. They see nothing wrong with it if you say something. How am I supposed to know for sure the dogs intentions? I can't even walk my own dogs on leash nor would I let my nieces ride their bikes down the road because of this. Your dog might be a sweetheart but can still be set off by the right circumstances. Out of all the dogs I have come across I have only had my hand on my gun once and drawn down on another, luckily it decided to go on.

I shouldn't have to do that if the owner was in control of their dog, people are attacked, bitten, maimed and hospitalized and even killed by dogs all of the time, it's ridiculous. People have the right to defend themselves.

I am a dog lover, I have two sweet boxers that love people. I am ALWAYS in control of both of them and take steps to assure their safety as well as others just in case. Every dog owner should take the same responsibility or not have a dog. Now if you come in my yard or my house you are fair game.

If an agressive dog tries to attack me I will shoot it, if the owner draws down on me the I will assume there is still a threat and he is next. Keep your dog under your control and you have nothing to worry about, ever, period.

Shike and jag-engr like this.