1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Any smart watch users?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by dml24, Nov 10, 2016.

1. NewKidontheGlock

NewKidontheGlock Loaded Pockets

The F3HR was a bit of an impulse purchase--REI I believe while on travel to a big city and bored after hours. I liked the all black look. For me the sapphire glass, all black, week or more long battery life and wrist HR I wanted to give a try. The wrist based HR is good for resting or light exercise, but struggles at high cardio unless worn very tight. The HR though and Garmin in general integrates well with Apple's Health app and ecosystem. Check out DC Rainmaker's in depth review of any of these devices you are considering but be prepared to read 40 pages or more. Thinking about selling the regular Fenix 3 actually. iPhone notifications are simply flawless on all 3 devices and GPS (only smart recording on the Vivoactive) is very good though some perfectionists will say it isn't particularly near heavy tree cover. The absolutely perfect combo IMO for running--indoors or out is the Garmin device (any) along with the Scosche Rythym + worn on the forearm (again, check out DC Rainmaker who is a well know triathlete and the Scosche is his regular user).

Apple watch is simply a nonstarter for me due to battery life, cost, the relatively light construction and the not always on feature since the screen sucks battery. The transflective displays of the Garmins are far superior for actual use to me. Below are a couple pics of the F3 and F3HR showing off some of the watch faces etc. you can play with using ConnectIQ. Silver bezel is the F3 and black is the F3HR. 7.25" wrist size.

Good luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NewKidontheGlock

NewKidontheGlock Loaded Pockets

Think I read too quickly. F3 vs. Vivoactive HR. F3 is a more complete device with outdoor functions and 1 second GPS recording. Vivoactive HR has touch screen, smart GPS recording. I would say the VAHR is more than enough device for the average runner/swimmer/bicyclist and also has a barometer. Step and flights of stairs tracking with the VAHR I find very accurate. The limitations of wrist based HR is the same for all such devices but is good for resting and light exercise. Good for cardio too if you don't mind wearing very tight. Throw in an $80 Scosche Rythym Plus for heavy cardio and you have all you need. Same long battery life as F3, same Connect IQ watch faces, widgets and apps, smaller screen. Check out dcrainmaker.com. Forums.garmin.com is also a wealth of information for a buying decision.

3. kapolani

kapolani Loaded Pockets

I've had a series 2 apple watch (sport) for a few months now.

I like it so much that I haven't worn any of my other watches since.

I love not missing messages, calls, or any other function that I would have missed because I carry my phone in my pack or pocket.

I used to have a problem that I would have to stop every once and a while when riding my motorcycle to see if I missed any messages or calls from wife. Now I get all notifications straight to my wrist.

Having maps (turn by turn) on my wrist is also very useful for riders.

TKC and T Shrapnel-Carruthers like this.
  4. Powrstroke6.0

Powrstroke6.0 Loaded Pockets

I have a gear s2 that pretty much replaced my g shock. Love it so far, especially the notifications when I don't readily have my phone on me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

5. Sao
    • The Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

Got a gear s3 being delivered tomorrow. Never wanted a smart watch before but having seen a friends s2 I was sold on the idea

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Apple Watch!
    [​IMG]

I am so used to it now that when I wore a different watch the other day I jerked my wrist up to look every time my phone rang or vibrated on my belt?
    I don't love it but there is little arguing that it is a good tool to have.

I did buy 2 new watches Today and they are not Smart except looking.