1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else have some incoming pens / pencils?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by bjornkeizers, Jan 12, 2012.

1. ghbrumbaugh

ghbrumbaugh Loaded Pockets

So I'm not super great on reviewing things but I'll put out my thoughts here. The manufacturing on these is great; clean threads, no wiggle in any of the parts, mechanizes all work smoothly. They are both tail heavy, doesn't effect writing but wont balance on your finger. Some specifics on each of the pens. The ED-01 is pretty slick, the action is a internal bolt, slide the sleeve down and twist. The grip section checkering is not at all abrasive and feels good in your hand. Couple of issues I've noticed. The sleeve for the bolt action scratches the main body, not deep but the pen looks worn after two days. The stylus is basically useless, I don't know if it's the low conductivity of the Titanium or the Tungsten breaker, but it doesn't work 99% of the time. They should have just used Brass and made the breaker an option you could change out. It just looks odd with the breaker exposed and with just an open hole in the end. The ED-02 is also pretty cool, a little more polished than the ED-01. The screw action is simple and easy, can't ever break. The hex grip section isn't to my liking, nothing really wrong with it, but I find myself stopping to check that I'm holding it correct before writing anything down. That's just a personal preference so can't really say that's an issue. Only one real problem with the pen. The cap on the screw mechanism, the clean cut threads on this part are a little to sharp. If you don't stop exactly when the screw is all they way down or up, they will cut your skin, not deep enough to bleed, but you get little slices in your finger tips. Would be better to have a flush and breaker tip you could swap, in stead of reversible. Hope that's some helpful incite. If there's anything specific just ask.

2. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Well, it's more that I'm hoping to get this writing instrument at the moment, however, I'm a backer of the "If... Pen" by Dave Colliver over at ze ks site. If the project meets its initial funding goal, then I'll be anxiously awaiting an incoming pen.

:cool:

3. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Buying pens on the internet is hard.. I can't tell you how many I returned or sold because of some issue I didn't like. The stories I could tell.
    So when Micheal of michaels fatboy pens was coming to my local paradise pens store I jumped at the chance to try and feel his latest model-s. I've been writing with it for months now..only negative us the vertical grooves that give it the New York pattern are a tad sharp on the edges. Buy one does not grip it there..and it being his first batch I'll mention it to him. Otherwise I've given up buying pens without trying them...at.least for now. One never knows about any annoyances until writing with a pen for weeks.
    Love the honest reviews here to help us.

TV09 likes this.
  4. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

It looks interesting, but too quirky for me. I was more interested in the Riind pen that launched on Kickstarter this morning, but it's $125 to back it and get a pen, and I can't justify spending that. There are a couple of features of the Riind that I'm not sure of, but I was willing to give it a go if the price was right, but $125 for an aluminum pen is too much to me.

5. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

/\ What he said. I might not love the Aluminum Retrakt if I had paid for it.....

6. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Even still, the Retrakt only runs $55 - less than half the price of the Riind. I wouldn't feel as bad buying a Retrakt at $55 and not liking it as I would buying a Riind at $125 and not liking it. And, while I didn't know for sure whether I would like the Retrakt or not when I bought it, there wasn't anything that stood out to me as question marks. With the Riind, I have questions about 1.) the knurled grip and whether or not it will be comfortable, and 2.) that strange clip design and how much of the pen will stick out of my shirt pocket when clipped there.

As much as I like the look of the Riind and would like to take a chance, I think it may be overpriced for an aluminum pen. I backed the Tactile Turn Mover, another anodized aluminum pen, when it was on Kickstarter in 2014, and it was only $45. I was expecting somewhere between $50-$75 as a range. I can get a Maxmadco in titanium for $125.

7. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

For me, I like that the "if... pen" project creator wanted to do things differently and still have the writing instrument accomplish what you want it to do. It's sorta like performance-based specs - it's as if a person gave the project creator the challenge to design a unique writing instrument (the what), and wasn't told the specifics in order to get it done (the how). So that gives the freedom to innovate how the functions will be met.

I thought it was neat how the refill was held in place by being clipped in, and how changing the refill didn't require separating parts of the pen barrel to do so. For pen clips, in general, I like when they're securely holding onto the pocket fabric material (usually by some springy or tensioned deal), and yet, this one will hold on in part because of the bend the material needs to make between the clip and pen barrel. And the action to reveal the pen point looks pretty slick (though not sure if that can get accidentally triggered). Also, it's a titanium-barreled pen - can anyone here describe what metal injection molding is like? It sounds like neat tech to me (though, it's not like I'm familiar with all metal forming processes). And last, to pledge for one, it may seem like a lot, yet when you realize the amount's in AUD, then it's not as much. :)

About the RIIND - I saw a preview of it I think at the Clicky Post first, and thought it was a nice, clean design. And I want to learn how the offset holes for the clip help it provide tension or a good grip throughout the clip's range of motion. However, the price is a deal-breaker at the moment since I don't have a bunch of expendable income which isn't already spoken for. I think the first ks pen I really looked forward to and might've talked about it here (a little) was Brian Fellhoelter's TiBolt, and it had a few new-to-me things going for it. I thought it was worth figuring out from where the funds would come in order to back that project, however, for the RIIND, I think it's one that's pretty neat, but one at the current cost which I'll just have to think is kinda cool from afar... Kinda like the D Rocket by Darriel Gaston - I thought it was a pretty creative take on the bolt-action, and it also came in zirconium, however just ended up window shopping for that one. Someday...

For wishful thinking, if lamy, for its 50 years of the iconic lamy 2000, puts out a special edition 2000 this year, I'd probably see what I could do to get one, and then it'd be on this list for incoming pens, however, at the moment, they only have a special edition 50 Years logo M+ set with a notebook, so I may have to wait. What's also fun is that the patent for the Fisher pressurized refill turns 50 this year, and after I asked at the beginning of May if they were going to do anything to recognize this milestone, Fisher's also putting out some commemorative 50 Years writing instruments, so maybe the bullet spacepen'll be on this list soon.

:cool:

8. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

My current carry. Gentlemen's Pen and Pencil in Stainless Steel.

I also carry my Parker Vector Stainless Steel Fountain Pen with them as well.

Great combinations! :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my Lenovo A6000-l using Tapatalk

ghbrumbaugh likes this.
  9. ghbrumbaugh

That looks slick, What kind of ink does the pen take and what's the size of the lead?

DeKrypt likes this.
  10. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

Not sure on the ink refills. I haven't found one locally yet. The pencil takes 0.5 size lead.

11. Gotitonme

Gotitonme Loaded Pockets

I have a copper Render K inbound from KarasKustoms.

ghbrumbaugh likes this.
  12. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

Any chance we can get a picture of the refill? I'm intrigued by this pen. I've never seen or heard of it until you posted it.

ghbrumbaugh likes this.
  13. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

[​IMG]

Here ya go! :)

14. ghbrumbaugh

Looks like a standard Parker style refill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Medium Parker Gel writes pretty good....

16. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

I asked at the local book store here and they said it wouldn't fit. :(

17. Nusm

Nusm Loaded Pockets

It sure looks like a standard Parker-style (the back end definitely is). There's a possibility that it's a different length(?). I compared a picture of the two, and I can maybe see the front being a little longer than a Parker-style, but why would Gentlemen's Hardware do that? Create a proprietary ink refill that's almost a Parker-style, but not exactly? My guess is the person at the bookstore is mistaken.

DeKrypt likes this.
  18. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

I'll check again later at the bookstore. The spring seems a little different though from most Parker's I've seen.

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Take the pen to the bookstore and ask to just test fit a refill from a Parker out of the display case...

Moshe ben David

DeKrypt likes this.
  20. ghbrumbaugh

Today's arrivals, went a little Tombow crazy. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replete and TV09 like this.