1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Anyone still carry a journal?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by themadplumbarian, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Totally agree with you. Heck, my investment in fp and other writing instruments totally dwarfs my edc investment!

Only thing I was saying was that the bullet journal format was one I had not totally adapted to. I keep a couple of personal journals for myself as it is. One is simply a daily journal of reflection on all and sundry events. The other is a journal of my Torah and other religious studies.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

DRPoolio likes this.
  2. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber Empty Pockets

I carry a Mead Five Star 5X7 plastic cover mini composition book in my cargo pants pocket.
    Been toying with a custom leather cover for it. It would look cool but would just add bulk and weight.
    I tried to go digital years ago by ditching the notebook and using an ipad mini, but then I started carrying both.
    I finally ditched the ipad.

DRPoolio and twin63 like this.
  3. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

LOL, quite the opposite for me ... I've been trying to carry a calendar for about a year but I'm so used to having all my calendar entries and tasks synchronized (read: backed up) I guess I can't go paper anymore. I want to have my appointments and tasks at me all the time (in case of friends planning a trip or a change in school schedules or a work call for example) and carrying a journal on me to a pub can be a burden plus it can be stolen when in a bag - that would be a disaster when not synced ... So, I'm carrying just a small noname journal with a pen in case I need to write something down really quickly or during a phonecall.

I find having a paper calendar SO COOL though ... :)

DRPoolio and Moshe ben David like this.
  4. Jars

Jars Loaded Pockets

I made a midori style bullet journal for my own purposes. Inside it's the typical midori stuff...

[​IMG]

kkay, DRPoolio and twin63 like this.
  5. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber Empty Pockets

I was a Daytimer person for probably 15 or 20 years using them for calendar entries and notes, but then I started using Oultook calendar with my laptop, iphone and ipad so I stopped Daytimers. My notebook is now just for notes.

I had boxes and boxes of those darn little one and two page per day Daytimers and I recently had a bonfire with them.

The main issue with outlook is that there is not much historical data saved.

I don't know what was worse...knowing I don't have the historical data (outlook) or knowing I have the historical data but just cant find it when I need it (Daytimer)!

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've written before about an approach with Daytimer (although it would work with any paper based system) to have an extensive index system for data retrieval. At its heart, it required the user to set up a system of (get ready.....) index cards. Any subject or event that the user recognized as important would have a card. On said cards, user was to record date(s) on which incidents took place that were noted in his organizer. And then to save all the old dated materials...

Yes, a lot of work. This was written before we all went digital... I remember way back trying it briefly. Too much of a :censored: to pursue. But it could work. These days, rather than use index cards I suspect setting up a digital index might be better; but ultimately the best would be to have all the handwritten stuff digitally archived and searchable.

If you think about it, in recent years, there have been specialized scanning systems consisting of a sheet scanner (feed through) coupled with software; available in versions for Windows or Mac; tax season is usually the peak time when the sales push takes place! Usually available at the usual suspect locations (Staples, Office Depot, Amazon, etc.) The one I am thinking of is Neat Desk; here is the website: http://www.neat.com

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David