1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

anyone use a 1x30 grinder for making knives?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by toddtheknifegeek, May 16, 2012.

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

See one is on sale at Harbour Freight. It's cheap enough for me to afford to junk if I don't like it, but will let me play a bit. Never messed with making knives or anything, but want to play. Can you profile a knife blade on something like this, put in finger grooves etc? Thoughts, advice, and general pocking fun encouraged.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Several of us 'amateurs' use that very one.
    The key is lotsa practice,making a jig to put it on, so it's 'laying down', with belt running away from you.
    Cheap belts= cheap results.
    In talking to Bill Aker (BackwoodsKnives), Chris Bowden @ KnivesforUsers,and Daniel Fairly @ DFK, they use either Gator or Blazer belts.
    Naturally, they have graduated to much bigger sander/grinders, but those belts can be found for our 1 x 30's also.
    In my limited experience: they are worth the extra $....will outlast 5 el cheapos.

toddtheknifegeek Loaded Pockets

ok, so how do you do a jig? Can you just bolt the bottom to a vertical surface or do you need some kind of cradle or something to support the grinder? Why is it better to lay down instead of stand up? Don't grasp the concept.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON Loaded Pockets

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Great site there, thanks!

I don't have a belt sander like this but have thought much about getting one. For general household/shop use plus sharpening and maybe start making some blades of my own. I want a ten inch Santoku for general kitchen duty but can't find anything bigger than a 7" that's remotely affordable. Thinking I may just have to make one.

I've also thought about putting a grinding wheel on my radial arm saw. Combined with a cross-slide vise, it would be almost as good as the real thing.

Just what I need, another hobby!:help:
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Thanx,IMW!
    That's precisely where I was gonna send him.
    There is a great picture there, of a jig & a grinder/sander laying down....note the hole in the jig, for belt adjustments.
    The advantage is: it's just easier to gauge the angle if the belt is horizontal,IMO, instead of gazing downward onto an (almost) vertical belt..
    But,more importantly: if your 'work' gets away from you,it follows the direction of the belt (away) instead of upward (under your chin.) (typed in blood red,on purpose!)
    Last edited by Gnarly, May 16, 2012
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON Loaded Pockets

No problem Gnarly, I have that site address in the small notebook I almost always carry in my shirt pocket.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Great tool for sharpening and profiling edges, but for shaping blades it is not strong enough. Some folks use the HF 4x36 for shaping blades as a starter then work up from there.

320 Loaded Pockets

if you are patient and use the platen behind the belt you can rough out blades, however you'll go through lots of (even good) belts.

after the belt stretches (if you don't use the platen, just sand between it and the idler wheel at the top) you'll get a convex blade profile whether you wanted it or not.

you don't need to discard your worn belts. a belt that feels as though most of the grit is gone is capable of providing a matte finish on a blade. just work slowly.

AK Adventurer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used a delta 1x30 for 5 years, 4 years professionally, making knives. a 1x30 is fine, even upright as intended to sit. Worked great, I passed up on bigger sanders, because the 1x30 worked fine. Have to order good belts though, not hardware store stuff.--Just like you have to with bigger sanders. Good belts will literally last 10X longer than others. G.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Huge difference between the Delta and the Harbor Freight...well the old Delta anyway. New Delta equipment is no where near as good as the stuff of several years ago.

AK Adventurer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Huh. Had no idea the HF was that much lower on the scale... Yeah, my Delta was bought in '90 or '91.... Yup, have looked at new ones, might take it if ya gave it to me, but not worth anywhere near what they ask for 'em.

G.