1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Backpack for trip to Disney World

Discussion in 'Travel' started by mcwaltz, May 10, 2011.

mcwaltz Empty Pockets

Going on a trip to Disney world for two weeks and I'll need a good back pack that is relatively small, comfortable, and easy to access. Any good ideas?

Kjott21 Loaded Pockets

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Depending on how much you're going to carry, I find hydration packs without a bladder work great for amusement parks. The small form factor makes them easy to stow on rides and if you carry the right gear, you can fit a TON of stuff in there.

parallax Loaded Pockets

I'm heading to WDW in a few weeks and will bring my Maxped Kodiak along. The cross-chest straps allows me to swing the bag from my back to my front making it quick and easy to access my stuff without having to take it off. Adding a cocoon pack to the side of the bag makes this all the easier. Stick your sunglasses / some extra sunblock in there and you're good to go.

Also - stick one of these puppies on the chest strap: http://www.countycomm.com/acusoled.htm - real handy for all those low lit areas you'll find yourself in, like Biergarten, Le Cellier etc. :)

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

I air use a bladder especially if visiting during the summer. Camelbaks are compact, lightweight, and fit a lot.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

No disrespect to Parallax, but I think a one strap bag like the Kodiak would be the worst kind of bag to take to Disney. Lack of comfort with extended carry is a known issue with the Kodiak that has been well documented on this board and I've experienced it first hand being a former Kodiak owner. I couldn't imagine having to spend a 8-10 hour day at an amusement park like WDW where you stand for long periods waiting to get on rides with that single strap pulling on my neck and shoulders. No way, no how.

I'm actually going to WDL in July and I will taking my 5.11 COVRT 18. It's a mid sized day pack with lots of pockets that I think will be perfect for walking around and carrying onto rides while still providing plenty of storage for essentials. It also has a hydration pocket like the Camelbaks.

But really, any small to mid sized backpack with plenty of external pockets would do fine. A lot of options out there.

adimag Loaded Pockets

I would say that unless you absolutely had to have a backpack, I wouldn't take one at all. My family of 3 has been to Dinsney World twice so far. Once for Thanksgiving in 2008 (daughter was 7) and for Mardi Gras this year (daughter was 9). Both times, I have gone with nothing more than what would fit in my pockets and my wife carried a very small passport-travel type bag. We had everything we needed and were a lot more comfortable than most of the people we saw walking around with backpacks or bags. The only other thing I had, which is only part of my Disney EDC, was a lanyard and badge holder for our key to the world cards and fastpasses. Also there were days that the bag check line to get into the parks were long enough that a 30 min wait was not out of the question. While my wife waited in line, my daughter and I would walk right in the no bag entrance and meet my wife later after we went on a ride she did not want to do or after we got fastpasses. We also did not have to worry about where to put the backpack or bag when getting on the rides. So, I found that no bag worked very well for me and my family.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

It's a good point. Carrying a bag is really all about saving $$$. Food and drink is expensive in the park and you can save quite a bit over a week by taking some snacks and bottled water. Rain jackets, especially in WDW, is highly recommended. You can buy ponchos in the park and I've done that, but they are hot and expensive for what they are. Sunscreen is a REALLY good idea. Hats are too but my boys constantly want to take them on and off. And they tend to come off on rides so sometimes you want to stow them anyway.

Carrying bags are no problem in Disney. Unlike other parks, they encourage you to carry them on rides or provide free lockers when you can't. Yes, the bag check line can be long but we usually get to the park right when it opens so the lines aren't quite as bad. With that said, if it was just my wife and I or I was just going for a day then I might not take a bag. Younger children change the equation and the longer you are there, the savings really adds up.

mcwaltz Empty Pockets

I really like the 511 Covrt 18 and it looks like it will make a good bag for college in the fall as well, so I can justify spending that much knowing it will get more use.

Thanks

ShadowBritt Loaded Pockets

Well, at the risk of sounding like a dork (I know, it is who I am, but bear with me) I prefer a fanny pack. I carry a small one with a water bottle holder on each side, big enough for two water bottles (One for me, one for the galpal), a camera, hat, sunscreen, snacks, and pair of cheap wally world ponchos... though when in WDW I really don't mind a small rainstorm in the summer too much.

fatnewt Loaded Pockets

Recently went with the family to Disneyland and wore an LL Bean Blaze hunting backpack. We were part of a large group and EVERYONE could always find me and whomever I was with. Even with just a small portion of strap visible on my shoulder my wife and relatives could spot me from several hundred yards away. My suggestion : get something in blaze orange. Can't seem to find it on their website any more, picked it up in December as a Christmas present to myself. If I can locate it, or something similar I'll post a link to it later. I was able to fit extra water, an extra layer for a family of three, DSLR, etc..
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Well, I'm at Disneyland right now and spent the last four days here. I was originally going to take my Covert 18 but in the end took my Maxpedition Jumbo EDC. While I missed the additional space that the backpack would have provided me, the Jumbo ended up being the right choice because of its portability - particularly when it comes to getting on and off rides. For some reason, Disney decided to build some of their new rides with really small cars (particularly in CA Adventure). I'm 6'4 and couldn't have crammed myself into some of the rides without crossing my legs. Even a mid sized backpack would have been an issue.

The Jumbo was also comfortable to carry. Overall a very good bag choice to EDC here.

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I now use a M40 series gas mask carrier as a Disneyland bag. It works kinda like a gearslinger. I recently purchased a Maxped Noatak too. Maybe I'll try that out.
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

In big crowds, I always keep my rain cover on. Keeps pick pockets out of my stuff.

jtice Loaded Pockets

If you are really wanting a backpack type, then I would also suggest looking into the Camelbaks or similar hydration packs, they are a nice slim design.
    For me, If I am going to a zoo, park, etc, I use my Maxpedition Jumbo. I find that it holds enough, and is alot easier to access as I am walking.
    Also easy to swing around to different positions, so you dont always have to actually take it off to sit down, etc.

mcwaltz Empty Pockets

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just got home from a two week vaca in Disney World, and I am happy to say that the 5.11 covrt18 bag that I purchased a couple weeks be for my trip, held up great and I am more then happy with it. Fortunately I could fit and hold the bag on every ride we went on in Disney world (even the bigger coasters like rockin roller coaster and space mountain). We also went to universal studios in Orlando for 2 day as well but didn't get as lucky with the bag. Almost every ride we went on there I had to stow the bag away in a locker which was a bit of a pain considering how crowded it was. Other then that I had a great trip, I love my new pack, and I am confident that it will hold up perfectly as a edc/school bag when I go back to college in the fall.