1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bat or baton home defense

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by bubbaj, Aug 11, 2013.

1. maverickmonk

maverickmonk Loaded Pockets

I did Tae Kwon Do for about 5 years total in middleschool/highschool. Only seriously for about 3 years of it though. Part of it was a weekly weapons class. Not all of it was useful stuff, but our instructor mixed in a lot of Muay Thai and Hapkido into the regular class for unarmed defense, and the one instructor was really into self defense from/with weapons. That was about 4 years ago though and a lot is gone, unfortunately. I especially miss the reflexes. I hope my graduate school has a decent martial arts club to participate in (lessons aren't cheap, lol)

What I like is that escrima stick moves can be improvised with prettymuch anything long and heavy. chair leg, pool stick, 2x4, muffler, etc. etc.

No matter the discipline, this is my favorite drill ever. Granted when we did it we weren't as cool so the poor soul in the middle could at least see.

2. clemency

clemency Loaded Pockets

I did have fun, but I'll tell ya, out of all the forms I've studied through the years Krav always left me the most bruised and battered lol.

3. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Yes, they are expensive. Sounds cool though. I may get a set and watch some YouTube for basic movements. 15 bucks is not much. Even I can afford that. What length do you have? 24 inch length and 1 inch diameter good? Or is 3/4 better?

4. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Lol I bet. But I suppose the more battered you get, the faster you will want to learn.

5. maverickmonk

3/4 are a little thin, even for me and I have small hands. The 3/4 ones also tend to be regular wood instead of Rattan. Regular wood grain is prone to snapping in half on contact, but rattan doesn't ever "break", it just frays. I have an old one held together by tape that's nearly fluid in the center because each and every fiber separated, but it's still in one piece.

As for length, it's up to you. Mine are 26" or 28", 24 felt a little short for me, but I am a hair over 6', the length is really personal choice. I think 26" was my most preferred.

6. clemency

clemency Loaded Pockets

That's my favorite thing about Escrima/Kali, the improvisation. ANYTHING can be turned into a weapon which is why I always find it funny going through a TSA screening. I always think, "If they only knew." Pens, lamps, books, magazines, towels, shoot, even the shirt off your back, anything (which kind of brings us back to this thread's original topic). I wish there were a better Kali class near me, but alas there isn't. Lately I've been finding the Kali and Muay Thai classes are filled with wannabe mma types. Not that there's anything wrong with these folks cause there's not. But for the most part, I get the impression that it's more about posturing and brawn than wanting to actually learn something.

7. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

+1 for Krav. Once you get used to being hit, the fun doesn't stop.

8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Coffee mugs, big skillet, towels, knives, lamps, hardcover books, liftable/swingable furnishings... Whatever will put a big dent in someone's head or hole in their neck/belly

9. maverickmonk

It's ok, Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido classes are filled with awkwardly shaped nerds...or was that just me.... ;)

Shirt/belt/jacket is awesome against knives. Honestly there is nothing better if you know even basic joint locks (and basic is about all I'm good for)

As for practicing at home, it helps if you have a heavy bag. That's the only way I've managed to keep some semblance of form with my strikes. You need a willing volunteer for jointlocks though, and as such I don't remember much

10. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

We called that "Bull in the Pen" back in my Karate days. It was pretty fun.

11. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Bumping this thread for reasons of my own giving serious thought to having a baseball bat in the house. Just not sure if it really matters which kind. Playing is one thing, but for home defense a bat is a bat IMHO. Granted for nostalgic reasons I might consider a Louisville slugger assuming it's within the price range for no way I am spending a lot on this idea of mine.