1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Benchmade Osborne 940

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Swedish169, Dec 22, 2011.

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

Hello All,

just got through with some Christmas purchasing, and after ordering my Toshiba thrive, i have about $200 left in amazon gift cards. I'm thinking this is the time for my first benchmade. I'm typically a SOG guy, and love my trident tanto. I've been eyeing up their whole lineup, and my 2 favorites are the osborne 940, and the triage knife, (griptillion is a close 3rd).

i'd like to hear some opinions from people who own the osborne 940, specifically i'm interested in:
    • how it feels in the pocket
    • ease of opening
    • blade retention
    • ease of sharpening
    to me it seems the perfect knife, but i'd love to hear your thoughts. my current EDC is either a delica4 or a trident tanto.

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

It's a unique knife with a blade shape you either love or hate. I hardly notice in my pocket, opens easily with the thumb stud and can be flicked open with a little practice. I assume you mean edge retention. Mine is 154cm, holds an edge very well but for be it's a little harder to shapen than my s30v or vg10 blades but others I have talked to have no complaints. Another plus is the axis lock.

Everyone should have one.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Go for it! I've got to confess I've never carried it much or sharpened it but I do love the feel of it!

00ChevyScott Loaded Pockets

Benchmade will be a huge upgrade for you. I'd consider SOG on the low end of knives, along the lines of CRKT and Gerber. I say go for it.

Dasein420 Empty Pockets

I have had my 940 for five years now and I still carry it. I have the s30v version and I must say that it has served me well. And let me just say that it is a very fast opener. It is one of the designs that utilizes the thumb studs very well. It is also a very light knife. And I have always loved the look of the titanium back spacer. The edge retention on my s30v blade is good enough for anything I have ever used it for and it is also easy to sharpen. I think it is a great knife and I am not a huge Benchmade fan. But it is a big step up for you.

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

I don't own one, but I have handled it before at my local knife shop. Worth every penny and there will be one in my collection soon. The feel is outstanding, the open is fast/easy & lockup is tight, slim & light in the pocket. I have the 470 Emissary in S30V steel, and if thats any indication, the steel holds up extremely well. Have not had to sharpen yet, so can't answer about sharpening. I too had a few SOGs, I never will again now that I have the 470 Emissary. I've handled various Griptilians and even those were above SOG in my opinion. 940 looks like another winner, I am a Benchmade fan for life.

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Please also check out the BM 930. Its more of a gentleman's knife (tho still same in size as the 940) but its just way smoother. It will not rip your pockets like the aluminium handles will and in my opinion its a better looking knife. Another great point about the G10 handles is that if you nick it or get a nice deep scratch you'll barely notice where as with any anodized aluminium things will get ugly fast.

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

Actually, the aluminum holds up great..the coating they use is a very high quality one. Mine never came off, and it was my EDC for six months. Buy it! It is one of the smoothest knives you'll own.

MWDP Banned

I really like this knife, I just don't think it's worth the money it's selling for.

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

As with anything, if you're not willing to spend the price-tag than its not worth it for you. To be totally honest, if i compare for example my BM 930 to my SRM 763 then (ofc apart from being two quite different knives) i can see what you're getting at, if aliens came to earth i would have the hardest time trying to explain the enormous price difference!

But back on topic, you really cant go wrong with the BM s30v blades imho! The axis lock is ergonomically a brilliant design and does the job fairly well and BM knives overall are assembled nice and tight whilst still smooth as butter.

MWDP Banned

I'm just saying that it is 20+ dollars more expensive than Spyderco knives of the same size and with the same materials. Made in USA as well...

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

My experience is that Benchmade edges Spyderco out where fit and finish is concerned in most cases.

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

You can definitely feel the craftsmanship & quality in a Benchmade, especially in the Osborne designs.

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The 940 is a great knife. It's small in the pocket, comfortable in the hand, and has a very useful length blade. Personally, I prefer the clip point of the 941/943 to the 940's reverse tanto, but either should serve you well. Whether it's worth the money, or a better fit for you than some other knife, is a personal choice and there's no one best knife for everyone. But the 94x knives are very good ones that should keep you happy for a long time. I think I've had my 941D2CF for about 7 years and it's still one of my favorite knives.

Swedish169 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the advice everyone. I got the BM 940 a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I never saw the justification for buying a benchmade before, but :censored:. this knife is worth every penny. i've since put the spyderco's, SOG's, CRKT's, and Kershaw's in a box in the basement and haven't touched them (with the exception of the SOG trident tanto, which rocks the role of beater knife).

it's not just a great knife, it's a toy too. I sit around just opening and closing it because i love the feel. i barely notice it in my pocket, open & closes smoother than i previously thought possible, love the blade shape, came shaving sharp, just all around the best knife ever.

thanks again for the advice everyone.

experimentjon Loaded Pockets

Enjoy that 940! I love mine and would never sell it. I've used mine a lot. It was my favorite EDC back when I liked to carry smaller thinner blades. Now I prefer blades with the same blade length, but a bit more heft: Para2, Emerson Horseman, etc.
    • Administrator

Kripto Evil Sid

meh.. I like my 940 (as well as many of my other benchmades) I do they they edge spyderco out in fit/finish but they lose the battle for sharp out of the box. The Spyderco's all come razor sharp.

The only thing I wish Id done was get a satin blade and not the black coated blade. I just don't like the coated blades as much as I'd hoped to... So this one stays in its box.

ATF Loaded Pockets

I'll take her off your hands, Kripto. Send her on over.
    • Administrator

Kripto Evil Sid

LoL.. Yur SO funny! :)

ATF Loaded Pockets

Great, I'll send ya my info. I'm looking forward to it!