1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Best Cheap Bulk .22LR ammo? (picture included)

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by 2506sniper, Feb 3, 2010.

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

I know the answers will vary with experience, but who is making the best cheap bulk ammo? Nothing fancy, just out of the Wally World selection. I used to be a Serious Plinker, but I have had no time for it in the last 5 years since I got married and moved to the city....

I used to have great performance with the Remington "Golden bullet" Bulk packs. Accuracy on par with many higher end ammo and I would get maybe 5 misfires out of the 550rd box. I hear many people complaining about lots of misfires and poor quality now though, anyone experience this?

Also, I KNOW that CCI Mini Mags are good, but I'm going for cheap bulk. I used to have trouble with the Federal ammo and any other manufacturer who applied that waxy coating to their bullets. The coating would clog up my chamber and jam my rifle a lot (Pictured below). Anyways, Any new info would be useful!
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/2506sniper/1022a.jpg[/img]

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

remington golden bullet
    :D
    seriously, .22 is so cheap, that even that top quality stuff is 1/10 the price of bulk 9mm. unless you're spraying rounds down the range, in which case, who cares about accuracy?
    work on improving your performance, and if you're that concerned with accuracy, get a bigger rifle, and start reloading.

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I believe Remington golden bullet is some of the worst 10/22 ammo out there. I have never had any success with that junk.

I have about 7500 rounds of Federal bulk. 1000 rounds of Winchester Bulk, 300 rounds of Federal AutoMatch, and 200 rounds of good quality CCI ammo.

Thanks for the "nice" Reply...
    As for a bigger rifle, does this one qualify?
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv94/2506sniper/M77a.jpg[/img]

Maybe the quality has gone down. It used to be my "Go to" ammo for general shooting. For serious target shooting, it was Eley Match or Aguila Super Extra Sub-sonic.

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I've found that different .22 weapons do better with particular brands/loadings. One Ruger 22 Mk1 likes CCI minimags, the other likes Federal....go figure.

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I have a lot of .22lr guns and none of them have had problems with Federal Bulk. That's my go to ammo for sure.

I have a box of Golden Bullets(If I remember correctly they are still sealed if anyone is interested in them(not going to give them away). I purchased a couple of boxes late 2009, gave the open box to my cousin. The other box is in the safe.

I will post some pictures of my .22lr collection in the next day or two.

I love guns but I love to shoot more, the cheaper the ammo the more fun it is to shoot. :lolhammer:

Sorry, one more thing: RimfireCentral Easily the best Rimfire forum on the internet. You pick your gun and post away! Have fun! I'm usually over at the CZ, 10/22 Ruger, Smith & Wesson M&P15-22, or Ruger Charger boards under the same name here.

Take care
    -Matt

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I've found that either the Federal bulk pack or the Rem Golden bullets work fine in my 10/22 with no noticeable difference in accuracy out to around 50yds.

My AA LE conversion for my Glock 22 only functions well with the Golden bullets or better ammo. Its a jam-o-matic with the Federal. Of course AA also recommends the Golden bullets or CCI Minimags in the instruction manual so go figure.

Try several kinds and see what your gun likes, then buy mass quantities of it.

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Nice. :spank:

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

hmm, well, you certainly have pretty guns.

the reply was nice, I didn't insult you, or anything. the golden bullet comment was obviously a joke.
    as far as my philosophy on shooting- get good quality ammo, and take time to make each shot count.

if cost is really a concern, why not reload the .22 for superior accuracy? :D
    (i once actually heard someone ask for tools to reload .22; the poor clerk at the gun shop had no idea what to tell him)

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I've had a "bulk" order of the federal in my cart at Cabela's checkout for a couple weeks...$85 for 2100 rounds with a dry storage box...

I haven't bought it as it's sold out/not in stock - keeps sayinng it will be a couple weeks, but I've got plenty for now - just thought I'd try it. Seems most of my usual places like Midway USA, Local shops, Cheaper than dirt, etc...they are getting low on .22 good stuff. Especially CCI stuff.

Hopefully .22 shooters won't have the same rediculous problems the .380 shooters are going thru!

therealdc Loaded Pockets

I use the cheap Federal "milk carton" pack all the time. No problems...
    therealdc 10/22

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Some combos of gun and bullet regardless of price or "quality" just go together better than other combos. I've gotten away from semi-auto pistol 22's. Some have a tendency to loosen up (read "almost fall apart") during shooting. Browning Buckmark and Walther P22 had that problem regardless of bullet. Ruger 22/45 was much better at keeping "tight". However all 3 just wouldn't function past 50-100 shots without needing a thorough cleaning in order to continue. Marlin and Ruger semi-auto rifles were much better. They kept going past the 150 round mark regardless of bullet. I guess I was lucky because none of my 22 guns were finicky in the least. As long as the pistols were clean, they fired. Rifles even better. Accuracy across the board was better than my abilities. (Several others wrung way better results out of my guns than any of my best groups). Traded all pistols and the Marlin (20yrs I had that) away and am happy with the Ruger 10/22. Only thing is to get a scope now (maybe the Shepherd) since my fast aging eyes can barely "see" the front sight anymore.

antman157 Loaded Pockets

That is a SEXY .22 ... I like the bull barrel ... Did you build this kit?

I use Remington gold dot or Thunderbolt .. I had several jams using Federal in my Walther P22 ...

P35 Loaded Pockets

IMO the best 22 ammo is what shoots most accurately in your firearm, with function being very important with a semi-auto as well.

Yes, I built this one, it is the third 10/22 I built. I started with a Stock 10/22 10 years ago, then I Upgraded my long range rifle and used the replaced parts on my stock 10/22( Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44 scope, Harris Bipod, Sling). I took it to my friends house, and they laughed at me for putting all that stuff on a .22LR. Their laughing promptly stopped when I repeatedly struck a +/- 100 yd Plinker target. Then they started building 22LRs. I ended up building a Ultralight target rifle for one of them. The one I have pictured doesn't have that much work done to it. back in my prime, I could consistantly hit 9mm and .45 casings from 100yds. Even with bulk ammo, it leaves 1/4" or less Groups at 25yds
    SPECS:
    Ruger 10/22T 20" Hammer forged .920 Bull barrel
    Accurised Trigger Group, Stripped and polished Factory Trigger (Picture is Pre trigger job)
    Chrome Bolt and Recoil spring
    Boyds Pepper Laminate "Blaster" stock
    BSA "Catseye" scope 3-10X44MM scope w/h German Post reticle
    Leupold scope base and High 1" rings
    Uncle Mikes sling and QD swivels.
    Harris Ultralight High Bipod
    Uncle Mikes sling

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I haven't liked the Rem. Golden Bullet and have had much more success with Federal bulk in my .22 pistol. CCI Mini Mags are very good, but not bulk ammo.

Every .22 is a law unto itself, so YMMV.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

bwperdue Loaded Pockets

I use Federal bulk pack from Walmart for plinking, but if you go to Dick's, you can find CCI Standard Velocity at $25/500, which isn't super expensive, and is a lot better quality, in both consistency and accuracy, for me. Plus, it's in the sweet spot of price/quality for subsonic ammo, so if you have a suppressor, it's a much better buy than the dirty and inconsistent Remington Subsonic, the only other cheap subsonic I can find locally.

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah! That reminds me. Bulk or "cheap" 22lr ammo has been consistently "dirtier" than higher priced ammo in my experience. Less time cleaning the better!