1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Best Hydration Bladder for 5.11 Rush 12?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by MedusaOblongata, May 11, 2013.

• +4 Supporter

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I've outgrown my MaxP Typhoon Backpack and just picked up a 5.11 Rush 12. Now I'll need a compatible hydration bladder. 5.11 says the Rush 12 will hold a 60 oz bladder, and it has a velcro loop at the top of the bladder compartment to hold it up. What bladder would work the best? And where is a good place from which to purchase? I've been researching Camelbak, Source, and Platypus bladders, are there any others I should be looking into?
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have a Camelback 0.75l for my MOAB 10. It should fit well. I like the size, quick connects, and tube valve.

Bryson Empty Pockets

I have used Camelback and Source bladders in extremely harsh environments over the last 6 years. Camelback bladders are junk compared to the Source bladders. A few of my buddies have picked up Hydrapak bladders, and I haven't heard a single thing negative about them.

Some of the problems I've had with Camelback: leaking bladder seams, leaking hose attachment port, leaking bite-valve attachment port, rubber bite-valve being lost (look at any military unit, you will see about 90% of the Camelbacks missing the rubber portion of the bite valve), burst bladders, funk (smell), funk (taste). All of these have been non-issues with my Source bladders, and on top of that there are cool features like the hose attachment/detachment system, non-leaking ports (I can take the hose off, and the water stays in the freaking bladder; Camelback bladders just shoot water out of the port) the slide-top closure that makes rapid filling, adding ice, and cleaning about 1,000,000× easier.

nightowl Loaded Pockets

There are some comparisons on YouTube & elsewhere online that would agree with Bryson on this, especially in the military realm.

Invictus Loaded Pockets

I've had a Platypus 2 liter for about a year now, and I'm really pleased with it. I always make sure not to fill it all the way, to minimize the pressure inside the bladder. Usually I fill my 2 liter up to 1.8 liter or so. For the price I think it's a pretty good deal!

Cheers!

ppfd Loaded Pockets

The rush 12 will easily hold a 70 (2L)

Bladder, Source and Platypus all the way.
    • +1 Supporter

uzmati Loaded Pockets

What Bryson said and then some. Camelbak bladders really are cheaply made anymore. I'd agree with the Source recommendation.

ejonesie22 Loaded Pockets

I second ore third the Source bladder over Camelbak. I have yet to have leak one and cleaning is a dream. After years of issues with the Camelbak bladders and a recommend for the Source from a military friend I will never go back.

PatriotAR15 Loaded Pockets

Will it hold a 100oz?
    • +4 Supporter

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

camelbak/geigerigg/source-tactical - cant go wrong with any of them..
    72OZ or 50 oz..

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I've used my military issue 3-liter, and it fit fine.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I haven't had the issues that the others here have had with the Camelbaks, but feature-wise you can't go wrong with the Source products. Go with their low profile reservoir and you won't be disappointed.

Bryson Empty Pockets

Camelbacks are generally fine for light or casual use. I still have a few I use as backups or reserves or for the old lady. They :censored: the bed when you stop going easy on them. For the same price as a Source bladder there's no reason in my eyes to choose a casual product over a hard use product. Especially when you get all the bonus features like the slide top.
    • +4 Supporter

Sounds like Source has the best recommendations and the 70 oz should fit. I won't need the insulation properties of the wraptank, but otherwise, any suggestions on which model to get - http://sourceoutdoor.com/10-hydration-solutions ?

Bryson Empty Pockets

I only have experience with this model and its 2L equivalent. Great.
    rongallant likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Norse Scots Loaded Pockets

Awesome info folks thanks
    Been looking for a solid bag but read to many bad reviews on the so called best bladders
    Looks like source will be getting some sales :)
    • +4 Supporter

ejonesie22 Loaded Pockets

Well I see you got one already but I was going to recommend going with the military version for a very few bucks more. I have the 3L. think they a little tougher. http://source-military.com/10-stand-alone
    • +4 Supporter

I couldn't figure out what the difference was between the blue ones and the green ones.