1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Buck CrossLock 180

Discussion in 'Knives' started by N1XIO, Apr 18, 2011.

N1XIO Loaded Pockets

I bought this knife in 1995 for abt $65. It has always been my main EDC knife. Many times I've tried other knives but always go back to this one. I love the style, the smoothness in opening, and the simpleness in design.

[IMG]

Has anybody else ever used one of these? What are your opinions?

Jerry
    ------------------------------------------
    Be part of the solution, not part
    of the problem.

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I tried one out years ago. Honestly, the thumbstud took skin off of my thumb.

N1XIO Loaded Pockets

Ouch! Sorry, I never had that problem with this knife. Was there a burr on the thumbstud?

Jerry
    of the problem.

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I checked for that, but couldn't find one. Even after feeling for it. I do recall trying it out very shortly after Buck released it. Perhaps they improved the thumbstud on later models.

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

The ones I handled seemed to have quite a bit of blade play when open, and I wasn't a fan of how the pocket clip was set up.

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I have a single bladed buck crosslock. I got it right when they first came out and I was real excited about it. After a couple days the thumbstud fell out. A little super glue and I was back in business. After carrying it a couple weeks it closed on my fingers. I only got a minor cut, and I never bothered to figure out exactly why the lock failed but is was immediately thrown into a toolbox and relegated to beater status. I still use it occassionally to do things like scrape tape or gaskets off. I never trust a knife once the lock fails, no matter the reason.

Grizz

phillipsted Empty Pockets

I have a Crosslock identical to yours. Great knife - tough and smooth to open. It has been sitting in my knife bin for years and years. I used it as a yard and camping knife for a few years.

So I took it out last weekend, gave it a nice 30 degree bevel and sharpened it up to a mirror sheen. I then gifted it to my youngest son, who is going to Cub Scout camp this summer.

TedP

N1XIO Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I still love my Crosslock, however I need to replace it because the blade is over 3 in. I now use my Spyderco Persistance for my ESC. Now my Crosslock remains with by BOB.

Jerry
    of the problem.

Prybry Loaded Pockets

I carry my Crosslock 180DB everyday... I love the dual functionality of a plain drop point on one side and a fully searated wharnclif on the other.
    I managed to pick up 8 of them for $16 a piece when Buck discontinued it for their newest alpha version... they are just not the same.

I modified mine, took the clip off and used a dremel tool to open up the thumb stud slots so it's easier to open.
    Prybry

gaijin Loaded Pockets

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

It makes me sad that you put your Crosslock out to beater duty. I had one I purchased around 15 years ago along with a Spyderco Dragonfly, a Cold Steel Voyager with the old handle style, a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker, and my first Zippo. All of which were stolen by one of my sisters' d-bag bf while I was in basic and AIT. Life got in the way and I only ever managed to replace the Tinker, Dragonfly, and Zippo. Breaks my heart that you have yours working beater duty. I hope you show it some love every now and again.
    Adahn likes this.

Adahn Loaded Pockets

@Gollum24601 Check the fleabay, you can find some of them for 40-50 bucks...