1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Cleaningman old rusty S&W

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by normshapiro, Aug 19, 2013.

normshapiro Loaded Pockets

I've been given an old S&W 38 medium frame. Almost all of the metal has a light layer of rust on it. It seems to work OK. I'd like to try and clean it up myself. What should I use on it?
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Take it to a gun smith, have them make sure it is safe to operate and get an appraisal. The quickest way to devalue an antique firearm is to try to refinish it. I would then go to 1911 forums and ask the question under the gunsmithing topic they have a number of very talented smiths there that are great about answering questions. Here's a link to where they they sell everything you need. http://www.brownells.com/

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ross Thompson Loaded Pockets

Gun oil, frog lube, soft bristle brush, pactients, nothing too aggressive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

lentuk Loaded Pockets

I like to use 0000 steel wool, it does not scratch and takes off most rust with a lot of elbow grease.

gdogs Loaded Pockets

Stop. First find out exactly what Smith & Wesson it is. They can be worth a lot of money. If it is just a standard old Model 10 or the like, then gently clean with oil and steel wool. Steel wool will remove finish if you scrub hard.

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

What they said! First make sure you're not destroying a potentially valuable collectable. Have it safety and function checked by a knowledgeable gunsmith. Then many many hours of work with good oil and a toothbrush and 4-0 steel wool.

Would love to see some before and after pics! :D
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

+1 for the before and after pics.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

lentuk Loaded Pockets

Yes, what is it? Should have asked that first.

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

As others have said you might want to check the value of it before doing anything yourself. What I am sharing with you now is what I have done and you may proceed at YOUR OWN RISK. In my own experience with my own firearms though, some Rem Oil and an old t-shirt does wonders by itself. It may need something more aggressive but to me that is the best start. If I don't have to do any wire brush scrubbing then I prefer not to.

Goose