1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Cold weather dog walking pants

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by bltkmt, Nov 4, 2010.

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

We have a new Vizsla puppy that needs lots of walks...my shift is the 5:30am walk. Here in CT, that can mean sub-freezing temps and maybe some wind/rain. I am looking for some sort of warm but lightweight athletic pant that can be used in many conditions. Ideally some sort of heavyweight fleece, like Polartec 200 or even 300. However, I have looked at quite a few likely spots (Cabelas, REI, EMS, SierraTrading, etc) and have not found anything that fits the bill. Any suggestions?

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Cabela's Polartec® Classic 300 E.C.W.C.S. Specification Pants – Regular

Cabela's WindShear™ Fleece Pants - Regular (Because some mornings it's the wind that will suck all the warmth out of your body).

Duluth Trading Company 3 Dog Long Johns (meant to be worn as a under layer).

FWIW: If I am lounging or sleeping in a pair of fleece "sweats" and the dog wakes me up at 4:30 in the morning with an expectant look, tossing on a loose pair of jeans gets the job done. The jeans cut most of the wind and the fleece has enough dead air to retain warmth. Not waterproof by any means, but take a while for soak through. If I am out that long, the little troll lied to me and is looking for squirrels to play with. Mild soaks dry quick enough by hanging them in front of a radiator.

ATB,
    Sam

P35 Loaded Pockets

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I want something athletic and/or light so I can get some exercise during the walk (we go at a pretty good clip). The two Cabelas ones are interesting, but the reviews indicate the waist belts are useless. I would like a drawstring if possible.

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

EMS Men's Microfleece Pants (doesn't list fleece weight, does have elastic waist with drawstring)

EMS Men's Atlas Fleece Pants (heavier weight at least from the two descriptions given... say elastic drawstring, but you might want to call. I have never seen an elastic drawstring on a pair of fleece pants that didn't also have a drawstring)

ATB,
    Sam

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Its not the cold, it's the wind. I get by in temps down to -30F with just a pair of fleece sleep pants from Wal Mart, and goretex rainpants, and my UGG's. Of course I wear a parka and gloves, too