1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

D2 or S30V for a hard use EDC knife??

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SpacemanSpiff23, Jun 6, 2009.

SpacemanSpiff23 Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about getting a larger, hard use edc knife. I really like the Spyderco Para-military, but I don't know if the d2 steel that is availible now is better than the standard s30v steel that is always available.

Which steel would you choose for a knife that will be used heavily on a regular basis?

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

S30V falls into what we commonly call "Stainless" steels due to the content, D2 is classified as a tool steel. So its not quite as resistant to the elements. A little care and a tuff-cloth and any tool steel will stay free of corrosion easily though.

However, D2 is generally easier to sharpen and work but does not take quite the razor sharp edge than an s30v blade would.

The good part of D2 is that its tough stuff, it has excellent edge retention over the long haul, and isnt quite as brittle as s30v. The larger the blade, the worse S30v is for it.

That being said, both are great steels. I don't truly think you will have an issue with either one. (I think you should get one of those D2 Para's though because for 100 bucks its a heck of a deal atm!)

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I don't know much about D2, but I have always heard from others that it is difficult to sharpen. Is this a myth?

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

I find sharpening D2 to vary somewhat based on who's made and heat treated the knife. If it's done right, which it will be by Spyderco, than sharpening shouldn't really be a problem. D2 is a great steel and will hold a working edge for a loooooong time. Sharpest factory knife I ever got was a Ka-Bar Dozier folding hunter in D2, sharper than ZDP189 Spydercos, IMO. I'd give the D2 Para a try 'cuz even if you decide you didn't care for it you probably wouldn't have any trouble selling or trading it.

2506sniper Loaded Pockets

I'm a machinist/welder/fabricator and I will tell you, I know metallurgy. I would say thateither makes a great blade. I would choose on the basis of the climate you live in and that you will be using the knife in. If you're in a dry environment, go for the DS, if itis gonna be in a humid or wet climate, go for the s30V. And D2 is NOThard to sharpen if you have the right tools. On my D2 blades, I start with a diamond carbide if the edge is really dull, then go to a croc stick, then to a long length fine chef steel. I prefer D2 Because of the edge retention, and rugged propertied of the steel. I feel that S30V, though a really tough steel, just isn't as tough due to the powdered nature of the material.

SpacemanSpiff23 Loaded Pockets

I got the D2. I really love the shape of the knife, but I don't know if I like the green handles.

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco Stretch in ZDP 189 is one of the toughest users I've owned, it won't scratch. It does develop a sort of patina over time, but it is not rust.

Bucky Loaded Pockets

I am certainly not an expert on knife steels, but judging from the fact that even high-end and custom makers like Chris Reeve, Strider, RJ Martin, etc. usually go with S30V as their main steel, I would have to think that it's the best overall knife steel available.

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

S30V is a very popular choice and deservedly so because it's good in a lot of areas. Some of my favorite knives from certain makers are S30V but the fact that makers A, B and C use it doesn't automatically mean it trumps everything else. Bob Dozier pretty much uses D2 exclusively, Bob Terzuola is using a lot of CPM154CM these days, Ernie Emerson sticks with 154CM on his custom pieces...and they're making tactical/working folders that are the equal of any other. Everyone's got their own preference on steel, and even that can change depending on what style of knife you're talking about and what you're going to use it for.