1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Difference between Leatherman Squirt series?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by greymethod, Jun 16, 2010.

greymethod Loaded Pockets

So I'm looking for a new, lightweight multitool. It has come down between the SOG Powerplier and the Leatherman Juice. However, the Juice has about 10 different variations.

Which one do you guys like best? Which is best suited for outdoor use?

Any help/opinions/pictures are appreciated.

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I have the Squirt P4. I would posit that the P4 version is better suited for outdoor use than the PS4. The P4 has an awl, tiny flathead driver, and cap lifter which the PS4 does not. The file on both is a wood/metal file.

How many versions of the Squirt are there? P4, S4, E4, PS4, ES4; I think that's it. I would think that either the P4 or E4 would be best for outdoor use (depending on if you need the wirestripping capability).
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Wow. Those two choices aren't anywhere near comparable. Are you sure you don't mean the Juice line instead of the Squirt? They're built similarly, but the Squirts are keychain-sized, whereas the Juice are compact pocket-sized.

I meant Juice! Whoops!

And there are more than that, Poly. I do believe I was handling an S2 (?) today... Could be totally wrong. Those are still some extremely varied models.

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Oh, that makes more sense. I was wondering why you were considering a 2 oz MT for outdoor use.

S2 is the name of a Juice model. That's different than the Squirt altogether. The model designations I listed are for the Squirt line.

A quick internet search found me this possibly helpful writeup. It was written in 2003 at which time five models of the Juice line were in production. Leatherman has since retired the Kf4, but I'm sure it could still be found somewhere. The other four mentioned on the linked webpage are still on Leatherman's website. If you want the biggest, baddest Juice, go with the Xe6 (unless you desperately need a ruler).

P.S. I was wondering how long it was going to take for this forum to abbreviate my screen name down to its first syllable. You are the first as far as I know, Greymethod.

Thanks brother. That link helps.

I wish they made one that was custom. I don't want a corkscrew, files or any of that. Looks like the CS4 is what I'll be after.

"Poly" has an easy ring to it... and it's five letters less than the rest haha
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

While we're clearing things up, which specific SOG are you looking at? The original PowerPlier has been discontinued for years now; the remaining models are the Pocket PowerPlier and Pocket PowerPlier Deluxe (which adds a 1/4" bit adapter). As luck would have it, I've been packing a PPPDeluxe for the last week, instead of my usual Leatherman PST-II; it's a very good tool, and pretty comparable to the PST-II except for the lack of scissors, and the non-diamond file.

The Juice tools are good, definitely more pocketable but definitely lighter-duty than the SOG. They have a very different "feel": the SOG flies open with one hand like a butterfly knife, while the Juice models open stiffly but with a very positive "snap". And while the Xe6 has all the implements, it's very thick and about as heavy as the SOG; definitely NOT lightweight anymore! As Poly pointed out, the KF4 isn't made anymore, but is probably your best bet for outdoorsy stuff, with the serrated blade, wood saw and awl; FleaBay is your friend!

I need to stop posting late at night. haha

I was talking about the pocket Powerplier. The PPP is 5.5 ounces which is a little on the heavy side, but the Juice that has the implements that I want is around that weight as well. I'm stuck!
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Why? The answer is clear: buy 'em both!

I might just do that and return the one that I don't like... They are both on amazon...