1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

DMT Diafold Sharpeners?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by dawgfan76, Nov 2, 2013.

• +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Anyone use them? I saw a video about a knife I was interested in and the guy used one of the DMT Diafolds. Looks simple, but wonder if any of you have experience with them. Also not sure which grit combo would be best. I am mainly interested in sharpening kitchen knives at this time.
    swany66675 likes this.

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I think they would be a bit small for kitchen knives. I carry a pair of two sided Diafolds in my back pocket. One is black (Extra coarse) and blue (Coarse), the other is red (fine) and green (Extra fine). The pair can handle pretty much anything from cutting a whole new bevel for repairing chips to touching up the edge on one of my whittlers when it dulls down to hair popping. For general use, the red/blue works well, at least for blades 4" or less. Anything longer ends up going across the stone rather than along the stone unless you use the small circles method which I've never cared for.

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have a blue one that I use for quick touch-ups in the kitchen. It's great for the purpose and within it's limits. Not a substitute for "real" sharpening implements but it will quickly get any knife sharp enough to slice the most overripe tomato.
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. Do you have a suggestion for kitchen knives?
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. Would you suggest a 'real' sharpening implement for the kitchen please?

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Well, that depends on you, your comfort and skill level, and what you're willing to invest. Could be anything from a simple stone to an angle grinder or some machine designed specifically for sharpening. As I said, I like the diafold for a quick touchup but I do the heavy duty sharpening out in the garage where I have a belt sander, a smorgasbord of stones and a "scary sharp" system (which is really just a piece of glass and series of ever finer sandpaper), as well as files and grinders for lawnmower, hatchet, saws and just about anything around here with an edge.

Since you are asking, I presume you are a relative beginner at sharpening. Might I suggest a Spyderco Sharpmaker? It's inexpensive, compact, easy to use and very effective. Unless you really get into the quest for the perfect edge, it may well be the last sharpener you ever purchase.
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

If there is a level less than beginner, that's me. I just want to touch up some kitchen knives. I have no need for scary sharp and don't plan on shaving my arm in a video :). I'll research the Sharpmaker. Sounds like a good option, thanks.

Look into the diamond rods for the SharpMaker while you're at it. Most of the kitchen knives I've run across have needed far more than a touch up to convert them from a vaguely knife shaped object into a cutting utensil, and the standard brown rods that come with the SharpMaker don't remove steel fast enough to do the job in a reasonable amount of time.
    dawgfan76 likes this.

shmook Loaded Pockets

Not for kitchen, but I carry a blue in my EDC bag. Great for touching up my work knife which gets lots of abuse!

Light and easy to use :)

Edit, saying that, maybe not the best for longer kitchen blades. I use a 2-sided whetstone for kitchen knives, around 9 inches long I think :)
    dawgfan76 likes this.

Derek Bergstrom Loaded Pockets

Ive been using them for ten years. good customer service, good wear life, light, cuts fast, not too expensive, goot grit option. i have one of each
    dawgfan76 likes this.
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

FWIW, I ran across this recently in a drawer. Tried it on some cheap kitchen knives and it worked pretty well.

[IMG]

You hit the application right on that one. Cheap kitchen knives are just its' speed. The ones where it's a coin toss between sharpening with that device or throwing them away.
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love their Pads. I sharpen everything on them quickly and efficiently. I'd say they are worth the very modest investment.
    Xiii likes this.
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Which one(s) would you recommend?
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a 6" red fine table model, a folding dual blue, medium and red fine model, a yellow coarse and green medium model and several red compacts for field work. I personally like the dual sided ones for the utility purposes and unless you have a real mess on your hands those work for every thing. I even do my Tactical Hawke on it when I have to.

If you do have a total mess of an edge there is the super coarse Black but I have only had to use mine once.
    dawgfan76 likes this.
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

dawgfan76 Loaded Pockets

Thanks!
    warchild likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild EDC Junkie!!!!!

You are most welcome brother. If you need anything yell..

Derek Bergstrom Loaded Pockets

wow i start every knife i sharpen on black... unless it can be stropped back to hair whittling

tom frost Loaded Pockets

I love my diafolds, they are almost all I use for sharpening. I have the Blue/Red and the Beige/Green, however the Blue/Red can really take care of 99% of my sharpening needs. I do take blades up to the xx-fine level, then to a strop occasionally, for an edc blade, the red stone will get a blade plenty sharp.
    warchild likes this.