1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Does a employer sending you for a drug test mean you're hired?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by epicelite, Apr 26, 2011.

epicelite Loaded Pockets

P35 Loaded Pockets

perhaps...... if you pass
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

Seems like a good sign, because they have to pay to have that processed.

AZDean Loaded Pockets

That's usually the last step before making you an offer.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

No ironclad guarantee,but usually that means an employer is serious.....enough to invest the $60-$100 it costs for a drug test.

Good luck! and keep yer chin up.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Lets hope so, it may be a condition of employment. Good luck!

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Most places have a 90 day probationary period.
    Pass the test and stay focused. Don't be late, and call if you're going to be. If anything happens, call, be honest, and simply keep them informed.

Good luck.

SilenzZzz Loaded Pockets

depends on the company ... the one i work for ... would do a drug test before the 3rd interview .. and then an intensive background check ... and then you are hired if it all passes ... each company is different ... if it is a smaller locally owned company then i would say it is a sure thing .. if it is a larger corp then there still are likely a few more steps.
    • +4 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I work at a Federal Government site for a contractor, four different ones in over 25 years. The last time the contract changed, we took a drug test. It didn't mean we were picked up, but I'm fairly certain, if someone flunked, we wouldn't have been picked up.

A few months ago, I was picked for a "random" drug test. Guess what, a RIF is coming up.

acemics Loaded Pockets

Jeez I didn't know they still did drug tests on perspective employees due to the cost...so I would say it is a good sign and I have just had my job for too long. Good luck!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

If you tested positive it won't be a RIF it will be a fired.

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

It seems like most companies now do drug tests as well as background checks. I know Lowes has a sign posted on their doors that says if you use drugs do not apply, I think I have seen something similar at Home Depot. I think it is to cover themselves if something goes wrong after they hire you and prevent problems before they hire anyone. The store I worked at hired people with drug issues then had problems getting rid of them after the probationary period as it was a union store, they would have to send the person for rehab first then go through it a second time before firing someone. When they were hired these people were the perfect employee the once the probation was over the problems started, multiple callouts and coming to work late constantly. Finally got rid of one guy after I pointed out it could be a lawsuit if a customer got hurt because of this guy having a fight in the store with his roommate.

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Usaly yes, But i was once called as i was about to walk out the door on my way to my first day and got a call saying the district managers son wanted a job and got mine.
    • +4 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Yeah, unless it's something while not illegal, they rather not have their employees have or be around.

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It is not a certainty that will be hired, it is a certainty though that if you fail you won't be getting the job...

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

It is a good sign since it shows that the company is willing to spend money on you. Drug tests, physicals, background checks all cost the employer some money. There is no guarantee until you receive a written offer letter.

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

I’m so glad I live in Canada.

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

If you do get hired, random testing may also be part of continued employment. So, if your wizz is clean (street drugs, alcohol), keep it clean ! Also, you may want to inform them of any prescription meds (i.e. pain killers), or OTC stuff, if you're taking any especially if anything can affect your ability to safely operate machinery or a vehicle. I have been tested through my employer and have nothing to hide and therefore, clean results !

If you get hired, you may want to start doing the same tests with your family doctor on a regular basis. Why ? For back-up. Though unlikely, but if the employer's lab makes a mistake any they point the finger at you for excessive amounts of xxx in your system, your doc can help straighten things out, hopefully. My employer had authourization to collect the sample and gave us some notice by calling and saying "Can you come in tommorow morning". DON'T make excuses and be honest. If ya had 2 or 3 beers last night cuz a couple of buddies came over, tell them there may be some alcohol in ya still.

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

it more or less means your hired

putting "random" makes it sound fishy. did everyone have to take the test? they can't pick you "randomly" it has to be demonstrably random, otherwise it's harassment

yah, but a lot of companies test everyone so they can fire someone, and then if someone tests positive they can fire them before RIF

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

don't know about the second one. i mean, you might blow positive if you've had like 20 beers, or used certain kinds of mouthwash, but I've had ten beers, and blew .00 the next day
    also, i'm not sure if alcohol shows up in urine. isn't that the reason you can get drunk (because it just jumps around your blood until your liver catches up)