1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Double edged Knives and State Laws, Regulations, so on.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JonSidneyB, Feb 25, 2009.

• Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

Double edged knives.

I would like to know the various restrictions? How many states you cannot have them in, cannot carry them in?

I would also like to know when is a double edge not a double edge? Is the secondary edge not being sharpened enough? No secondary bevel?

I am thinking of a knife not as a weapon but as a utility tool but it would have two edges. How many place would people not be able to have such a knife?

Thanks
    Jon
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

oh no...not getting enough sleep as it is. Ok...I will read it.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

oops, have to pay for that information.

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

It's free. You only have to pay $10 if you want someone to explain what the legal mumbo jumbo says. Scroll down the page to see the list of links to the knife laws for all the US states.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

When I clicked on some states where I did know that double edge was illegal it was not mentioned. The legal part was not hard to read, it just didn't cover the question. It seemed more focused on automatic knives.

I will need to find out how many states would be excluded. From myself personally right now 10.00 is a lot of money.

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Double edge is a no no in Michigan. A folder over 3 inches can be considered a dangerous weapon too (although they have to prove intent). Simple rule for MI folk, carry a folder with a 3 inch blade or less to avoid any hassle.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

found that one. Odd but I found somewhere that there is no mention of them in the California Penal code.

Looks like I will have to go state by state. I would have thought there was a map of this like there is on gun carry laws.

IANAL, but from what I've read so far is that in most states it is legal to own BUT NOT CARRY double-edged knives. Reading up on it now ;D
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

That states i lived is is legal. Hmmm

I find references that the law is vague in many places.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

The thing I am really looking for is the bevel. Some knives have what could be a second edge not complete or sharpened and call it single edge. What defines an edge, is it the secondary bevel?

Sometimes there are called false edges but not sure what defines a false edge legally.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

I put the question out on knife forums to see if they have a list someplace.

Ta Da!

"Dagger" in this case would likely refer to a pointy double-edged weapon.

While common sense dictates that "double-edges" means both edges are sharpened, LEOs might not see it that way.

double-edged adj.
    1. Having two cutting edges: a double-edged blade.
    2. Describing a blade, such as a sword or knife, that is sharp on both edges.
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

Many knife companies use the term false edge to define an edge that is not an edge. I am guessing there is no legal definition of this.

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

No double edge in Arkansas that I know of. :shrug:

Demolition Dan Empty Pockets

So would this mean a double edge folder would be ok??

I looked through the New York state law and didn't see anything about balisong's except for this at the bottom:

Butterfly or "Balisong" knife, a folding knife with a split
    handle, did not have blade released by force of gravity or
    application of centrifugal force, and did not constitute a
    "gravity knife"... (1987).

So does this mean I can legally carry on in NY, I always thought they were illegal.

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Regarding knives (and a lot of other things, actually), Oregon law does not further restrict what you can own or carry from Federal laws. However, if it's a weapon, or suitably weapon like (specifically, a "dirk" or "dagger"), or associated with gang activity (eg, switch blades and balisongs), concealed carry is a no-no.
    (Oh, or if you've committed homicide, or more than one non-violent felony, you can't carry them at all.)
    The exact definition of a dagger is not in the Oregon Revised Statutes, but I remember reading that case law would generally be on your side for a folding knife with a false edge (or even a fixed blade with same). However, if you've got something like that on you, and are brought in on other charges (drunk and disorderly, nuisance, whatever), expect "Carrying Concealed Weapon" to get added to the indictment, even if it'd later be overturned.

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Sadly, Texas is a state with a bunch of archaic and now ill-considered knife laws. Then add the local regulations (San Antonio is the worst of the lot I hear) and Double Edged knives are a no-no...

bouncer Loaded Pockets

In Massachusetts,

autos and double edges less than 1.25 inches are legal any more are not

in New Hampshire they are not unless LEO