1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

dry film rust inhibitor vs dry film lubricant vs what you use to oil your knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jehan60188, Jan 26, 2010.

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

• Administrator

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Any oil on the blade will be removed by usage, so it's mostly a storage precaution, I think. If you plan to use it frequently, just keep it dry and it should be fine.

I've never needed or used any rust-inhibitors, but I've read of mineral oils and even food oils (olive oils etc.) being used. The latter is not good for long term storage, as it will go rancid. I think some have also used mustard or such to quickly develop a patina on the blade that will also help prevent corrosion. And, of course, there are products for this sort of thing as well.

p moore Loaded Pockets

I have found that Renaissance Wax works very well. I have heard that pure carnauba car wax works well also.

Paul

solocanoe Empty Pockets

P35 Loaded Pockets

Re: dry film rust inhibitor vs dry film lubricant vs what you use to oil your kn

:iagree: Sentry Solutions products really work well, you can buy direct
    Sentry Solutions

chavez Loaded Pockets

Cutting greasy sausage, fajitas, t-bone steaks, beef ribs all help add to protecting the blade naturally and putting on a nice patina. Plus it sure is way tastier than rubbing it with oil. ;)

freedoom Loaded Pockets

You taste your knives?

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

somber Banned

I'll use anything from Tri-Flow to olive oil (if I'm at work, in a pinch) to store my high carbon blade. The other day I cut an apple and I thought I would be fine with just wiping the blade off, instead of applying some oil, few hours later the blade had a bit of oxidization. Regrettable, but not the end of the world, either. Murray Carter a food-safe oil as well. cartercutlery.com

cutter17 Empty Pockets

Renaissance Wax is what I use also. It has done a great job of protecting some carbon steel blades I have.

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

picked up some hoppes 9 wipes (not the oil, but like lubricating/protecting wipes), since Academy didn't carry the Tuff cloth

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I use Tri-Flow to lube the pivot point on my folders. Never owned a knife that would rust, except my grandfather's old WWII machete, but I use Tri-Flow to oil the blade on that too.

I use Tri-Flow to oil just about everything except my pots & pans, actually.

somber Banned

Tri-Flow is where it's at. It's all I'll use for my bike as well, it silences up every little squeek! Simply the best.