1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

DURABLE Luggage Tag DIY tips

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Prodigal_Son_84, Mar 7, 2011.

Prodigal_Son_84 Empty Pockets

I need some tips / instruction for making some durable, easily visible luggage tags. What suggestions do you guys have to offer? THANKS! (Any ideas using paracord)

soli Loaded Pockets

Do you mean tags in the traditional sense so you can write contact details on or just something to make the bag more recognisable?

ChopperCFI Loaded Pockets

Print whatever you want on blank business card stock found at any office supply store. The sheets are standard 8.5x11 size so any printer will do. Then take them to Kinkos and have the individual cards heat laminated. There are laminate sleeves made just for turning business cards into luggage tags. They are nearly indestructible and even come with the attachment loop.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Duct tape plus Fedex Tyvek mailer equal cheap near indestructible tag.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

Luggage tags should outwardly display only your name. All other information should be covered.

I got a nice pair of florescent orange tags made from some sort of rubbery plastic. They are a little thick and have a window for my name. I picked them up at a dollar store.

You should also have a tag that goes inside your bag, in case your bag is mishandled and the external tag gets ripped off.

brix Loaded Pockets

Hi Viz duct tape to make it even more visible.

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

If you also mean tags for packs and field gear then US Cav -- amongst several other stores -- has some decent embroidered ones at two for $6.99: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=20879&tabid=548

Of course if you have a sewing machine and someone that can actually use it you could make these things really cheap.

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Stainless steel dog tags
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

How about some vegetable tanned leather and you can burn your info in with a soldering/woodburning iron? Use the paracord to attach it. Would look very cool, and only get better with age.

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

robbyy Loaded Pockets

DURABLE Luggage Tag DIY tips

+1 on the stainless steel dog tags. Get a set or two and some airline mechanics braided steel key chains and you will be set. Most places offer plastic "silencers" in different colors as well.