1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

EDC Doorstop

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Jason Jamieson, Nov 3, 2013.

Jason Jamieson Loaded Pockets

So with all the active shooter situations and just mayhem that seems to happen lately I've been thinking a serious door stop might be a good item to EDC. I like 10 mins from the Clackamas Town Center where the mass shooting took place last Dec. in fact at the time it was happening we were around the corner from the mall at Kaiser Hospital.

In that situation people were hiding in all kinds of places and I'd like to know the door is secure if hiding was the best option. At least the action of having to ram the door would give me the upper hand and be able to put the shooter down. I'm sure there are a million other places or ways I can come up with about how this could help. Issue is finding a good one or something that would be able to EDC but function.

Any ideals??? Just don't think the standard rubber ones will make the cut. Thanks for the help everyone!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber Meowderator

TheForceGuard.com
    mud80, Nick4305, Diecastfreak and 3 others like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Loaded Pockets

At least it's reuseable. I was going to suggest the Tacwedge.
    Water-Rat, CSM-101 and SAKplumber like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ohh, I like... only $35 ? :frantic:
    I gotta get a couple of those.
    SAKplumber likes this.

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

This is something I've been thinking about as well, I didn't envision a doorstop, though. There are many different products available for this. County Comm sells something called Hydra-Lock for securing a hydraulic arm door. You could also just wrap a belt or paracord around a hydraulic arm for a similar effect. I started a thread about this a while ago. Kilted1 told me about a bunch of portable door locks (including ForceGuard) that are designed mainly for use in a hotel. They look like a good option for an inside opening door, but wouldn't really work if the door opened outward. I haven't made a decision on whether or not to add a door lock to my edc bag, but I always have a belt and paracord that could be used on a hydraulic arm door in an emergency.

As far as doorstops go, there are plenty of smallish rubber doorstops that would easily fit in a pocket or bag. For that matter, a small wood one would easily fit in a bag too. I found a rubber one designed for industrial sized doors on google... don't know how good it'd work though.
    xtrajack likes this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

A hardwood wedge and something to hit it with(for inward opening doors) and a nylon trailer tie down(for outward opening doors-hopefully you have an anchor point of some kind) would be your commonly available choices.

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

there's this thing: "corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/portable-door-lock-p-1151.html"

or this: "countycomm.com/hydralock.html" ...although, you could probably come up with something less single-purpose to tote around

" "s added because the urls aren't on the approved list
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

VeritasĀ® Traveller's Doorstop
    leevalley.com/us/gifts/page.aspx?p=40812
    docer likes this.

Does anyone have any of these? I'm leaning towards the Wedge-It. Seems most practical for all applications.

[IMG]

Can hold a door closed or open, can be reused, and won't destroy a floor if it does get pushed.

usmchawk Loaded Pockets

+1 on the wedge-it. I use this for travel and I give one to my child's new teacher each year.
    SAKplumber likes this.

And it holds a door closed? The YouTube videos I saw were pretty vague.

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

I think the wedge and the one from corporate travel are the way to go. I could easily see myself adding both to my travel carry bag.

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

If you have a home and haven't already done this I highly recommend doing it regardless if its an apartment or house.

usmchawk Loaded Pockets

They do hold the door shut. I alway take one with me on travel and put it under the door. Granted, someone could pop if from underneath if they knew to do so, but the typical crook is trying to get in quickly and as quietly as possible. Even if this only gives me an extra second to get my wits about me, that is better than not having the time and relying on the hotel door chain to help.

D552 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Wedge-It is attached to the outside of my pack. Great item to have for those that have the potential to be in an active shooter scenario or who regularly need to clear buildings or force entry into a location. It's lightweight and one of those items that you don't realize how much you need it until you actually need it.

Jean Loaded Pockets

I've carried a simple wedge for years when travelling. While I carry it because of the sketchier places I go, it came in useful once - in Belgium. The desk clerk gave a list of single male travellers and a house key to a trio of agressive hookers - who went door to door offering an expensive turn down service. It took another guy in my group 30min to get them out of his room, and another guy woke up late.
    Water-Rat likes this.

D552 Loaded Pockets

I'm so glad somebody finally mentioned this. If there's one thing I can't stand it's aggressive hookers!
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Yes, the passive kind are much better.
    Water-Rat and OreoGaborio like this.

D552 Loaded Pockets

[IMG]

Here is my Wedge-It attached to the mother ship.
    Water-Rat likes this.