1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

emergency mini stove for home use in power outage?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by al66pine, Dec 6, 2013.

al66pine Loaded Pockets

The icestorm-prep thread led me to think about a mini-stove for home use in a power outage.
    We have all electric home; large BBQ grill w 20# canisters; Mr Buddy propane heater.

Any suggestions?

Use
    We imagine these uses for the two of us, for one to several days:
    -heating water for coffee, hydrating freeze dried foods and warming them, and warming canned foods, perhaps pulling homemade items from freezer for warming,
    but not actually "cooking" in the traditional sense.

Size
    We thought about Coleman single burner stove,
    but wonder about something more compact than that, but not as compact as backpacking size & weight.
    Ran across this for $80 US:

Multi-Fuel Survival Stove.
    "...up to 20,000 BTU/hr of sheer heat and can support a load of 50 lb! Two AA alkaline batteries (not included) power a small fan that constantly stokes the flame, resulting in compact fires that produce an enormous amount of heat.
    • Aluminum base with fold-down stainless steel thermal shield
    • Four support rods pivot to accommodate different pot sizes
    • Instructions included
    • 4-1/2"H when open, folds down to 8-1/2"L x 2"H"
    Cobra 6 Actual and thekapow like this.
    • +1 Supporter

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why not just build a camp fire in the back yard , cowboy style ?

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got only wood stove in my dotation.
    No gas in my emergency concept/idea.
    If interested i can post pics of them.
    Nick
    al66pine and Xiii like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Couple of days, two people, boiling/heating indoors (presumably). Small stoves are great for camping and backpacking, but don't plan to use your kitchen pots/pans with them. The right small burner paired with the correct pot will get water boiling quick, especially indoors.

My vote would be a burner that runs on isobutene/propane. Can pick them up on line for less than $10 (get two if needed) and fuel is available local pretty cheap. No issues with fumes indoors, shelf stable forever, and dependable. Plus, take the gear with you hiking, on a picnic or the like.

Something like this GSI kettle is lightweight, durable, inexpensive, and conducts heat like hell. It holds just about four cups of water and the wide open top works great at heating canned foods.
    [IMG]

Large fuel canisters for home and basecamp, and the smaller ones plus the burner fit into the kettle for transport. Dual purpose - emergency and fun outdoors.
    [IMG]

This type of gear can set the tone during an emergency IMO. You've used it on that camping vacation or day hike, so the skill is current. You know it works and what to expect. When the lights are out and the suck is outside the door, it's more like being on that fun excursion than surviving.

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Ditto what Eagle Scout wrote: for well less than ten bucks you can buy a stove like this:

[IMG]

Then buy some gas canisters and you're good to go. That little stove will put heat out like a blowtorch. I use mine for backpacking, but it is a great alternative heating system for home emergency use.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

I had a look at those Biolite stoves they also charge your phone. I saw it working a couple months ago you can buy them with a kettle as well, it takes only a small amount of wood to boil the water.
    Xiii
    al66pine and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

sorry for got to add they also have a small BBQ grill that you can Buy as well For the Biolite stove its great.
    Xiii

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have a Jetboil Sumo (great for boiling water quickly) a SnowPeak gigapower burner (will simmer, runs on the same gas cans as the jetboil) with a TI cup, and a cheap aluminium non stick backpacking pot set (40 bucks on sale at the local outdoor shop)

I also have a bigger burner, that runs on bigger cans, that are sold really cheaply in Asian food stores - this beast is like running the gas stove at home, except I can run it nearly anywhere.
    Something like this
    [IMG]
    Gas cans are $10 for a 4 pack, and it runs on a can for quite a while (I have a blowtorch that uses the same canisters too)

Probaly the cheapest way to carry on cooking like nothing happened. I think I paid $50 for mine, including 4 cans of gas, and a stand to support it at a normal cooking height - it works well for Sausages and Onions in the middle of nowhere*

*Middle of nowhere it typically parked on the side of a gravel track, in a forest, during a car rally (watching cars go past on the track)

The Jetboil is great for warming a baby's bottle on the side of the road too ! Put water in jetboil, put bottle in water, turn jetboil on, check bottle frequently)
    Last edited by echo63, Dec 6, 2013

Hunter Don Loaded Pockets

Hey cobra, I've seeen this one posted couple times, whats a link or name for it, pm if necessary.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

T.H.Cone EDC Junkie!!!!!

Besides the Weber grills (one propane, one charcoal), we have a two burner Coalman white gas stove and two MSR Wisperlites (one white gas, one multi-fuel). All have their place, though I caution you to be careful with any type of open flame stove in the house. I'm not saying this is safe, but when I've had to fire up a backpacking stove in the house, I usually put it in a large cookie tray that has sides.

Someday soon I plan on getting a cartridge stove like the ones suggested by our friends Eagle and Cobra just to make things easier on my kids when they hike.

Speaking of which, the nice thing about a tiny backpacking stove is that they are easy to toss in a pack if you are out x-country skiing, day hiking, or whatever. Not many things are better at lifting your spirits than some hot cocoa on a cold day in the woods.

And, if you want to get creative and use some natural resources in your yard, you could always build something out of some bricks.

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Hunter Don, OK, check your inbox on the Forum.
    SAKplumber and T.H.Cone like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Funny this should be mentioned as the NWS is forecasting the chance of freezing rain and knowing my luck it will bring down a power line. We have the Esbit solid fuel cookset. for heating water for drinks and the Mountain House meals.

For more involved cooking we have the Folding Firebox. This one is great if you're tired on FD or MRE meals and want something else like burgers, bacon, eggs etc. Couple this with the Stanley cookset and you can boil 24oz of water at a time

We also have a couple of alcohol stoves which fit nicely into the Firebox should you not want to use natural fuels from the yard.

netcat Loaded Pockets

I think this heavily depends on what resources you have available. If you have wood, I'd strongly suggest either a Biolite CampStove or a Powerpot on a Bushbox XL, as with those two setups you kill three birds with one stone: you heated your food/beverages, you can load your phone or radio(!) and as long as you do not run out of wood, you can boil water and load electronics.

If you do not have wood accessible, I'd stick to the PowerPot, but would add a multifuel burner to the setup. An alternative to the often mentioned MSr Whisperlite International could be the Optimus MultiFuel. As fuel I would choose kerosine as for the reasons that were mentioned in the other thread. I would propably add a trimix gas cartridge for backup.

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

"Inveniam viam aut faciam!" - I will find a way or make one!
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Google JOGR piezoelectric stove. They make a few different models.

In the US company name is JOGRUSA.

Available directly, eBay, Amazon marketplace.

There are a fair number of knock-offs floating around, so be careful <* insert leaky o-ring/explosions commentary here *>

ATB,
    Sam
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have one of these in black that I keep in the truck with me when I was over the road. They work great although in the U.S. the fuel canisters can be a little hard to find. TA truckstops carry them and a few sporting good store's.
    [IMG]
    I used this stove twice a week for six or seven years and it always worked well as long is I was under 10,000 ft and the temp was above 15f.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I have two Colman table top stoves one the traditional two burner propane. The other a propane table top grill with a griddle plate also.

The small one on top though is great works just like a burner on a gas range.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    al66pine, Nick4305 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.

thePlumbah Meowderator

The one you've found there would definitely NOT be good for in home use. Its for burning wood. Whatever you get for inside needs to not put off smoke. Off gases(fumes) are bad enough b ut at least in a larger open space of a home they can disapate into the fresh surrounding air. Not so with wood smoke.

I also edited your post to remove the Pseudo-link as linking is against the Member Rules (Rule 12), as is mentioning the vendor by name.
    al66pine, Nick4305 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.

thePlumbah Meowderator

That folding firebox is pretty awesome! Really versatile, lightweight, and looks very well thought out:) I didn't know I needed one until I saw that:D Um...thanks?:p

thePlumbah Meowderator

Do you have a fireplace? Last big icestorm we had knocked our power out for 8 days, IIRC. I put our 2 burner Dual Fuel Coleman stove on the floor, in front of the fireplace, and let the fumes go right out the chimney. You could do the same with a wood/charcoal burning stove if you absolutely need to use it indoors.

We had a fire going to heat the house, so I couldn't put it directly in the fireplace but, the draw the heat created sucked our smoke/steam from cooking right into the chimney:)

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Thank you for adding this. There were a couple of posts that mentions that some stoves were fume free/safe.... which seemed kind of strange. Went to the respective manufacturer sites, and without exception all were listed as outdoor use only. A bit more emphatically due to liability issue. I generally use the guideline, if it burns, it's generating CO. If you have an open floor plan, it may not be as readily noticeably, but still not good for you. Better on the deck, patio, etc. If the weather is that horrendous outside, I am fine with PB&J.

12.Deal spotting, defined as mentioning a source or retailer from which to purchase an item, and prices, or an external link to such information, is prohibited.

Could you double check my post? The way I read it, a link isn't required and my post inadvertently runs afoul of the rules by mentioning two sources. Not linked, but mentioned.... which would seem to be a no-no. My only excuse is that when the rule change occurred the focus was so heavily placed on linking rather than mentioning vendor names.

If a manufacturer sells directly, are we restricted from explicitly saying that they do?

Not arguing the rules. Just asking for a point of order (RONR)/clarification.

ATB,
    Sam

T.H.Cone EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm not suggesting anything in particular is safe, but there are lots of things that are routinely used indoors by people that "burn and generate CO"- furnaces and boilers, kerosene heaters, gas stoves in the kitchen, wood stoves, fireplaces, lanterns, candles, etc.

Like everything else, if your are reckless and unwise, Darwinism will come into play.