1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

emergency-vehicle-escape-keychain

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by muskrat72, Jul 14, 2009.

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I should start off by saying this is strictly hypothetical; an estimation of its function, but I would think the seatbelt cutter would work and I would venture the glass breaker to not work. Any blade can cut a seat belt. Seat belt cutters simply have a frame around them to render them only to cut a belt and not a person. This person's design should work for that.

I have seen videos of "ninja rocks" or broken spark plugs or porcelain thrown at glass to shatter it. I am just not sure there is enough to swing or impact in what the Instructable listed. Could you maybe place the porcelain to the glass and then strike the back of the device to shatter the glass? It does not seem like it would work, but I would have to test it out to determine if my conjecture is true. Does some body have a spare car? It's for science.

It is interesting none the less and I love seeing what people create on Instructables. It is a very handy site.

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I agree, it seem to simplistic for the glass breaking. I also dont see how it could stand up to the strain of cutting a seatbelt. Maybe if it was made of a metal. That is where this design may prosper.

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Check out the ResQMeResQMe. A few foalks on here use them. As for breaking glass, mithbusters did a episode and yes its freaking hard. UNLESS you have a tool built espically for it. A few on here have seen the resqme in use and it works fine. Its a matter of how it used. baseball bat or rocks at a wihdshield won't work well because they are low force and blunt, the key the the resqme is the pinpoint that will puncture it. It won't shatter the entire windshield, but give you what you need to star getting out.

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

i dont like it.

its untested by the user.

in an emergency situation, i want to have gear that is tested, and definitely works. imagine in a real emergency situation the razor blade slipping out of place, and forget that ceramic window breaker.

i like a small keychain knife like the ladybuy, and a window breaker hammer in the glovebox.

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

That is where you are wrong. It is tested, and as a matter of fact, a few of the guys on here that use these test them regularly on equivalent objects to make sure they do work. If you think keychain tools are pointless though, than checkout the lifehammer.

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have and have used a ResQMe and I highly recommend it if you are looking for such a device. I believe I purchased mine at a hardware store for 6 or 7 dollars. The glass breaker works well on the side windows of a vehicle and the seat belt cutter easily slides through seat belts without risking injury to the wearer.
    • +1 Supporter

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

I wouldn't say keychain tools are pointless, but if you've just been in a wreck, especially one bad enough to that you have to cut and break your way out of the vehicle, your coordination and motor skills may not be 100%. you may also only have one hand available to use the device.

My wife and I carry a Lifehammer in both of our vehicles. If you see merit to the keychain tool, get it too, but definitely get a Lifehammer or similar tool.

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I believe Angry Scientist was talking about the DIY version the OP linked to, not about the ResQMe. The latter sure has been tested enough to be relied on, but I agree with him concerning the homemade one.
    I'll keep my ResQMe on my car keychain, and hope I will never need it.

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I think angry was referring to the instructable variety that I originally posted about.

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

i was, the resqme looks like a great tool. i certainly dont think keychain tools are useless either, but i am a firm believer in rugged, indestructable tools, and a broken spark plug glued to a scrap of metal isnt what i want to rely on in an emergency.

i'm all for home made keychain tools too. way before i found this site or talked to any other keychain "stuff" aficionados i had been carrying a small craftsman wrench modified into a prybar screwdriver, which i think will outlive me.

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

My car key ring (as opposed to my EDC key ring) contains my car key, Bison tube whistle, samll but very bright Streamlight flashlight and a ResQme tool. Just enough to help my get free of the car after a crash or to signal for help if I'm off the road and trapped inside. Also, this set-up is not so heavy as to stress the ignition key mechanism or so "dangly" as to bang against my leg while driving.

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

so, while my car is flipped upside down, or slowly filling with water, i'm supposed to be calm enough to 1) remember i have a tool on my keys, 2) depress the break, put my car in park, shut it off, and remove the keychain and 3) use a tiny little tool to break through my window?

better off keeping a small hammer near the center console

phill Loaded Pockets

The Res Q Me has a quick release so it just pulls off. Hard to explain, their official site has a vid of someone using it, its impressive, esp as the device is literally right there and not going anywhere. If i drove id own one.

deKatt Empty Pockets

Here's a link to some more interesting information on the subject. Personally, I have a spring-loaded center punch in the console (secured in a space meant to hold a pen).

Bowman1911 Loaded Pockets

I definitely wouldn't take the time to make my own seatbelt cutter with epoxy yadda, yadda, yadda, however I can attest to the effectiveness of breaking glass with a sparkplug. I don't think the one posted about is a big enough chunk to work with, I've seen quite a few side windows broken in cars with a sparkplug. Breaking off the tip with a pair of pliers makes a very effective glass break. On the other hand, it took a dump truck picking one up in it's tire & slinging it on the interstate to break the windshield of my Jeep.

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi,

while the stated observations that an emergency exit tool needs to be in a place that is reliably accessible after a crash, and that the ignition keys are such a place, are both true and important, I see major design issues here.

How easily a tool breaks glass does not so much dependon whether it's steel or ceramic, but mainly on how small the area is on which you apply pressure - meaning, the pointier the tip, the easier the window will break. Ceramic is harder than steel and doesn't wear as quickly, but how many windows are you going to smash? I have seen 4 kilogram bricks thrown at car windows that didn't break them. If you don't have a very heavy tool, you need a very pointy tip, or you don't stand a chance even if you're not injured and scared out of your mind.

Also the cutter is likely not to work very well because of the angle of the blade. Blades cut best when drawn across the material that you want to cut while applying pressure. This design mainly pushes the blade through the material almost at a right angle. If you look at any other belt- or cardboard cutting tool, they all have pretty narrow angles, which generates pressure while the blade is sliding over the material.

Sorry, but I would not trust this design.

If you design something like this, my advice would be:

- use a narrow blade angle
    - use a very pointy glass breaking tip made from hardened steel
    - find a way to allow for a very firm grip of the tool

In any case, self designed, made based on someone elses's design, or bought - test what you intend to use, especially if it's emergency equipment!

Cheers,

Matt

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know how corrosion resistant the ResQMe is, especially the blade?

How securely does the ResQMe stay on its key chain clip; can it come off unintentionally?

Cheers,

Matt

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, what he said! O0

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I have mine since a bit more than 6 months, I just looked at the blade. It was quite dirty, full of pocket lint. After a bit of cleaning, there were some very slight spots of rust, the kind that are removed with a few passes on cardboard. I put a bit of tuf-glide on it, that should do the trick for the next years.

I don't think it will come off unintentionally. It's not very hard to pull out of the keychain intentionally, but it doesn't snag much.