1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Folding Knives with Lanyards

Discussion in 'Knives' started by neutrontech, Mar 1, 2011.

• In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Is there any practical application for a lanyard / fob on a folder? It seems like it would totally get in the way of normal use and get in the way of clipping to my pocket.

koolranch Loaded Pockets

It depends on what end of the knife the lanyard hole is. You can use a lanyard to pull the knife out of your pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's what I use mine for. They are only about 1 1/2". Just enough to give a tug out of my pocket. Any longer than that and they just get in my way when using the knife.

akacoach Loaded Pockets

Especially when I've got gloves on!

Sealegs Loaded Pockets

Also depends on where you use it. If you do work in high places you don't want to drop it on someone below. At sea you don't want to loose it to the ocean, and all the other classic reasons. (Deep snow can also be a hoot.)

I use colourful lanyards so the knife is easier found if dropped in snow or in the dark. Pulling it out of the pocket as previously stated is also a good use. For very small folders you can tie a substantial fob like lanyard and use it for an extended grip enhancer thingy.

Bard Loaded Pockets

i got GITD beads on mine, they are doubled over for a wrist strap, and i can get help pulling them out of my pocket, and lastly, i wouldnt want to be hit by either the beads or a knife (folded or unfolded) at the outside of a good swing.
    just sayin

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

On tiny knives it adds a bit of grip space. My main use ( in bright pink cord ) was to remind me to take the darn thing out of my bag before i fly; as I did not want to give my cool toys to the airport guys.
    Given the showing a clip in some places in a crime, I am thinking that it may be useful to get it out of your pockets. Until they call that a crime as well.
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I guess all the knives I have owned have the lanyard hole at the bottom end of the knife, the same way the clip faces.

mrpink Banned

I usually take mine off as they are :censored: near useless in an urban environment and pretty much always get in the way. and also they suck for taking it out of your pocket cus you have to re-adjust your hand on the handle, id rather just pull the :censored: handle....I may have like a 2" loop with a GITD cord end but no lanyard configs. i think one of the benefits of certain lanyards is that it looks, imo, better to a LEO officer who may be less inclined to pester you about your knife if it looks like its rigged for use as a tool.

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

robbyy Loaded Pockets

A short lanyard really helps my clumsy hands open my smaller spyderco knives (Delica and Salt).

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Tried them, found no use. But I do prefer 3"+ blade knives and low visibility, so YMMV.

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

VERY good points :)

Some I do and some I don't, It depends on where it's kept and how it's used etc. etc. ..
    I don't worry about 'attracting attention' because I have so much going on when I go out it ether looks like too much paperwork or very interesting ..
    I have actually been asked "What's in the bag" by interested LEO's and busted it open right there BIG knives and all ..
    It really depends on usefulness/preparedness and how much it doesn't matter why you carry it, but how you do ,)

BE WELL .. GH

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I have never been too keen on lanyards for a folder, but I think I might have to give it a shot. I like the idea of being able to grab at it a little bit easier. Maybe I'll finish it with a button knot or monkeys fist...