1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Forum Downtime Sun/Mon, Dec. 25/26

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by scríbhneoir, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

UPDATE: We are indeed experiencing some down time. We are working on it. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Season's Greetings to all!

The forum will experience some downtime evening into early morning on 12/25.

WHAT? you say. On Christmas? What the...?

Yes, but hopefully for just a short time as the forum gets a long overdue and very welcome software upgrade and a new look. Yes, we've all gotten comfortable with the digs, but the furniture and drapes won't fit with the new upgrade. And though change can sometimes be uncomfortable, it is the only thing that is constant. We hope you will like the new look and layout. Please bear with us as we get everything in place. With any big change, there may be some hiccups. If you find something that doesn't work or works oddly, please let us know. Naturally, we expect we may have to tweak some things, so don't panic! We appreciate your patience and understanding.

In the meantime, enjoy your holidays, and get ready for the giveaway that begins tomorrow and goes through to January 6.

scríbhneoir

Last edited by scríbhneoir, Dec 24, 2016
    #1 scríbhneoir, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    Water-Rat, Rusty412 and Mumbojumboo like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

On second thought change is good. Merry Christmas!

4. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Sorry! They scheduled it for their Monday am, which is our Sunday evening. :(
    But...12 days of EDC Christmas fun should take the sting of a little down time away!

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. Hi-up Lineman
    • The Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

Merry Christmas !

6. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

7. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

UPDATE #2:
    After locating an issue, the forum is up and running, but not all things function as the theme isn't completely compatible with the upgrade. Stay tuned for a change in theme.

AND GO CHECK OUT THE GIVEAWAY!

8. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Hi @scríbhneoir
    Is it helpful to inform you / your team about things that might by not correct yet? If yes ... here or at another place?
    Or do you know and you just need time to fix it? Thank you!

9. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

10. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Yes, please feel free to pm me any problems/glitches you might be having. If we don't yet know about them, we will forward them to where they need to go. Thanks!

11. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Still tweaking details on the new upgrade and theme. Stay tuned. Report any issues. Thanks!

12. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

New layout is terrible.

dischu likes this.
  13. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

Unfortunately, the old forum theme would not work with the upgrade, and the upgrade was absolutely necessary. We know that no matter what theme we picked, not everyone will be pleased (again, change is hard), but we are pleased with some of the features the upgrade offers, and we are still tweaking things to optimize use for everyone. Thank you for your patience.

14. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

It´s not my favorite design also. Loved the old one. But as you wrote: You can´t please everybody. Maybe I´m satisfied when this layout is optimized.

Feedback welcome? I think the fonts in this layout are too big and bold. And the background is pale.
    The old colors were classy with this wooden background. And certainly a bigger header graphic is needed.
    Maybe it´s possible to adopt some colors and sizes of the old theme?

[​IMG]

But maybe it´s like new trousers only. Now it pinchs but in a few weeks I don´t like to undress them anymore :D

#14 dischu, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  15. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

It is going to take some time to work through all the little details. I have already mentioned to the team that the logo is too small. The old theme colors are not available to us, though we may be able to do some tweaking with what we have. Again, I would encourage anyone with suggestions to send me a message with your thoughts and ideas. I can forward them where they need to go. Change was absolutely inevitable, and we've been working on fixing things and upgrading since the spring. It may still take us a little bit to get everything where it needs to be.

dischu likes this.
  16. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

It maybe just me but I can't find a "new posts" button anymore, the button I use most lol

17. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

It is just me found it halfway down on the right

18. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

As longer as I use the new design as more I like it :)

In this design both headers are fixed ... the grey header (is it grey?) with the facebook and twitter logos on etc. and the green header with the EDC logo. Meaning when you scroll down these headers stay visible on top. This was not in the old design and I like it a lot because you have always quick access to the buttons there. But because it´s always visible we should not waste the space with a large EDC logo. So please forget what I mentioned before ;)

I like the new posts button down at the center and the appearing bottom arrow at the right side (wish there would be a top button appearing also). Also the small photos in quotes are great.

Keep going! Happy New Year 2017!

scríbhneoir likes this.
  19. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

Wow. l'm struggling with this. The old look and feel (I'm not speaking to functionality) was the best on the web and going there felt like stepping into my own little comfortable den. Unfortunately, this change was like being wakened with a cold bucket of water in the face. At first, I felt like the site had been hacked.

Thanks for letting me vent on this. Now for the constructive feedback, because I know change has to happen sometimes.

1. Coloration - I really miss the warm browns, and of course, the wooden look. The tone of the green against the bluish background conflicts. A warm background color and a less pea soup-looking green would really help calm the nerves. Can we at least change the colors? Pretty pleeeaaase?

2. Increase the use of space (too much empty, unused space on the borders). If this is possible, it would allow us to see more threads listed at a time and would facilitate quick scans of what's up. It would also allow more posts within a thread to be seen in the screen.

3. I'm hoping there will be a print view available which would remove all the avatar info and colors (more appropriate for viewing at work - sorry, but this is a reality for some of us).

You have my support in working through the changes and I hope you can get this looking more comfortable on the eyes again. I think many of us will experience at least a few of the 5 steps of the grief process here. I know it's hitting me.

Thanks.

20. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

Just to be sure. Have you seen the toggle width button on the bottom left side?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.