1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

! FrankenTenacious !

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by GRIFFINHAWKS, Jul 13, 2010.

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Finally put some of the inspiration I get from this forum into action ..
    I used a small triangle file, a small oval file, some 220 an 600 sandpaper and a little 3 in 1 to blend the finish ..
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Now I'm ready to get myself a rotary tool and do some crazy GITD/Tritium inlays etc. ,)

BE WELL .. GH
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Looks nice, how does it feel? Grippy or what, we want to know!!!! :) What kind of files did you use regular or diamond?

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Nice work Griff, but might I inquire as why you did two different patterns? The pattern on the non-clip side reminds of the Spyderco Centofante (FYI I like yours is better). My Delica blade file work didn't come out nearly as nice, & I think some proper files like yours might be in my future... Are you planning any file work for the blade?

lazybusinessman Loaded Pockets

i like it! looking forward to see what your going to do with some GITD or tritium inserts!

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

The grip is better, more so perhaps because it now feels like Mine ,) and the files are just a cheap-O set I picked up, Regular ,)
    I went with the Asymmetrical approach because for me it's an Art as much as it is a Craft ..
    A Knife Maker is an Artisan as much as a Craftsman in all due respect, so I thought I'd follow Suit ;)
    The files are/were 'Virgin' and I intend to use them for plastic only so new files are in order for metal work ..
    And yes, I will soon embark on some blade/spacer embellishment work as I am inspired by cardoso5fr (Ben ,) on this forum ,)
    In my experience, It's not as much having the 'Right' or most expensive tools, It's using them properly to get the best results ,)
    Thanks for your your feedback guys ,)

BE WELL .. GH

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Thanks Man ,) The GITD Powder is just a mail order away and here in Las Vegas I'm sure to get a few deals on Tritium with all the gun shops and gun shows here ,)
    I'm well versed with Epox. so hopefully the mistakes will be minimal ...

BE WELL .. GH

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

Nice mod! I feel inspired to do the same to my Sog Flash II (but i couldn't make the grooves as deep)....

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

[IMG]
    [IMG]

BE WELL .. GH

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

How did you prevent G10 powder from getting into the pivot? or are you planning to clean the pivot after you finish?

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I was careful when doing the Mod. and rinsed the knife throughly with water periodicity, then the knife was fully rubbed with 3 in 1 ..
    The action is much better than it was, the blade flies out of the handle !

BE WELL .. GH

creAtive Empty Pockets

very nice customization, I own a Persistence, great knife but even better when you can mod something to call it your own. Cant wait to see more.

warren55 Empty Pockets

I use shoe polish to blend the sanding and file marks. It also renews the color of faded scales.
    There's a real cobbler in town that stocks all kinds of colors.
    It was fun, when I brought a sample, to see him match coyote brown.....

For some file-work insperation, check out Mr. Maan's folders
    http://shop.ebay.com/mr.maan/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

I bought a few to see how they're made. (looks like India/Pakistan)
    They are a lot bigger than they look, which I was disappointed with.
    But the file-work is still impressive.

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Thanks for the great tips and let me know if you want to part with one of them, I'd like to see one first hand for the same reasons ,)
    They look amazing and BIG is good for me ,)
    Thanks ! I did not realize the scales on the SOG are so thin ?? These are not so thick and the cuts are real close to the metal ,)
    And thank you, I hear the Persistence is also a nice knife for the $$ ,) I must get one for good measure ..

BE WELL .. GH

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

Grff well done, Now I'm going to have a go at my Tenacious. Have you ever heard of a product called "Inlacy" it's a two part resin that was developed by a Dentist in Hopkninsville KY not to far from my home. It is great stuff. Dry's hard as a rock but can still be sanded, drilled, whatever. I use it to inlay some small wood cross's I make for Xmass ornaments. Just Googel Inlacy & you should get some hits.
    Take Care
    Mike

GH, I miss spelled Inlacy it should be INLACE. There's a company called Turtle Feathers that carries it & can be found on the net under that name.
    Sorry for the screw up!
    Take Care
    Mike

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Thanks Mike ! I look forward to seeing how your scales come out ( post it here if you like ,) I'm going to search for the Inlacy right now ..
    Thanks for the tip !

BE WELL .. GH

ClusterFlux Loaded Pockets

Well there are two versions of the flash II, one in Aluminium and one in G10 (i've got the G10 version). I wasn't thinking of doing the grooves that deep, just a little deeper then the pattern surface (2 to 3 mm deep). Now that i think of it it may not be such a great idea there are no scales just the handle (for lack of a better term), if i mes up, then it would probably be expensive to get replacements...
    • +1 Supporter

Rawls Loaded Pockets

You did a great job on the mod. It looks sweet. Budding knife maker? If you ever get a hold of a Buck Strider this would make an interesting mod (not sure if you'd be willing to sacrifice a full price Strider).

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Thanks Rawls , I'll stick to Polymers and Resins for now, the tools are more affordable ..
    Some G10 slabs are on the list and I'm sure to gouge up a Strider or two as soon as I get my hands on one ;)

BE WELL .. GH

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

Hey I like that. I have a Tenacious as well and maybe, just maybe, I’ll do something fun with mine also. Just never considered it before. No intention of doing exactly what you did, but you’ve given me the inspiration to think of something that can be carved into the scales.

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Nice ,) Here's some words to the Wise..
    The scale is a bit thin so mind that a sharp file or high speed rotary tool will 'hit' the liner very easily ..
    Take care to leave where the clip is attached is left 'flat' so you have no issues reattaching it and that it functions properly ,)
    I also tried not to hit the screws because it might create sharp edges that would tear your pocket or sheath ..

You might try this too..
    Originally Posted by warren55 I use shoe polish to blend the sanding and file marks. It also renews the color of faded scales.
    I'm going to give it a try and use a shoe brush to 'polish' it and remove the excess

BE WELL .. GH