1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Gerber Shard - TSA or non-TSA Compliant?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by CT_Underdog, Oct 1, 2011.

CT_Underdog Empty Pockets

Hi there - newbie here.

I'm ditching my leatherman C33T, SAK, Spyderco Tenacious and everything else even mildly sharp, (even my pocket screwdriver set) out of my maxpedition micro for a plane journey in a week or so.

I dont want to travel entirely tool-less so was thinking of throwing my Gerber Shard on my keychain.

My question is: Will the TSA take it? Anyone had any experience?

(I am travelling out of NYC if that makes any difference)
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure about the Shard. I know that most tactial pens and key chain kabatons are not allowed. May depend
    on the airport and TSA agent. Try checking the TSA web site, they have a list of items you can't carry on the plane. If you are checking a
    bag you can have some items in it that are not allowed as carry on.

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Shard would be fine. I have traveled with Atwoods, no problems. Would take a TSA agent having a really bad day to say something.

Hmmm I think ill chance it. Luckily the shard isn't expensive so worst case scenario I have to buy a new one.

I have bad luck when it comes to TSA agents usually though ;)
    • +1 Supporter

neverused Loaded Pockets

I have flown with a SwissTECH Utili-Key on my keys, I believe your Shard should be safe.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

brix Loaded Pockets

Shard should be no problem. At worst they will confiscate it which is highly unlikely.

Success, i swapped out my usual keychain tool: a SAK Midnight Manager for a Gerber Shard and a Fenix LD15. Had no problems at all - went right through.
    Thanks guys.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON Loaded Pockets

Glad to hear it.

Magnaminous_G Loaded Pockets

"should" be okay is the operative word...

With quality EDC gear being so expensive, after my recent experience with TSA in the U.S. and in China, I will not attempt to take anything that even resembles EDC stuff onto a plane from now on, I think. The rules in almost every country post 9/11 are written so that the TSA Agent can seize basically anything they want for any reason. That's a risk I can't take with my expensive stuff. Once they make their mind up, arguing with them is futile.

I'm checking everything from now on.
    • +1 Supporter

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

If you have a WalMart near you, you can easily pick up a little Swiss+Tech tool. They are even cheaper than the Shard and, in my opinion, more useful. You could always take a pair of those "slip-n-snip" folding scissors - they are only a couple bucks and shouldn't be confiscated.

Note: If you fly out of the country, you may have additional restrictions when flying back in. For instance, I took my slip-n-snip scissors to Mexico without a problem, but they were confiscated in Mexico when I was returning to the US.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

You don't have to worry about it being confiscated. Carry a self addressed stamped envelope and mail it back to yourself if they object to it.
    • +1 Supporter

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

FWIW, that may not be an option in other countries.

BillyC Empty Pockets

I'm a former TSA officer and I can tell you that TSA never 'consficates' prohibited items. Passengers are given the option to check the item, return it to their car or if available to mail it back to themselves. If a passenger 'surrenders' their item, TSA will put it in a locked box and those items are handled according to applicable management disposition schedules. Looking at the Shard, the item doesn't appear to be on the TSA Prohibited Items list however items that appear to be in the grey area is generally reffered to a supervisor for their call. If it is determined that the item could be a threat, a passenger would be given their options. I've been with TSA for several years and TSA simply doesnot consficate items.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

Nice to have you join us BillyC! This may only pertain to TSA in US airports though!

invisiblejules Loaded Pockets

Thanks for chiming in. Can you explain this a bit more? I'm not sure I understand.

ky70 Loaded Pockets

Hopefully Billy can confirm but I believe "surrending" likely happens when a traveler does not have time to do the 3 options Billy lists because they have a plane to catch.

invisiblejules Loaded Pockets

Sorry, I should have been more precise. The part I'm more confused about is the description of what follows after you surrender an item, specifically the words "handled" and "disposition schedules". BillyC, are you saying it's put in a locked box and there is a possibility of it being picked up by its owner at a later time? Or are you basically saying that it's disposed of (ie. thrown out, destroyed, sold, etc) by the TSA management?
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

I imagine if the TSA take something it ends up being sold on some web site somewhere! You aren't ever getting it back!
    • In Omnia Paratus

zebedee Loaded Pockets

Have a look at eBay, there seems to be plenty of auctions of airport confiscated knives
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Some people make a business selling these items and most likely make a bunch of cash too! So people just keep carrying banned things so these sites can stay in business lol!