1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Germany legal knives!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by chrisk91, Dec 10, 2013.

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

Hello all,

I just received exciting news that I'm going to be living in Germany! This does come with a disappointing caveat; German knife laws! They state that folding knives cannot both lock and be one hand opening, but can be one of the two. The only real option I can see for me is the Spyderco UKPK or a Victorinox SAK. A Buck 110 would work because it's not one-hand opening, but I'm not big into traditional knives, and the Buck is waaaay heavy. I'm open to suggestions on some traditional knives if they're simply outstanding.

Please suggest away! What knives should I carry (legally) in Germany?
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Michael Morris friction folders. I don't have one. Have seen many pics on here and they are beautiful.
    kertap75, Nick4305 and TDS like this.

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

Gorgeous knives. Will have to take a closer look. Thanks!
    Nick4305 likes this.
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn EDC Junkie!!!!!

No problem. Just got into friction folders and his are on the top of my list for a post Christmas purchase. And if you stuck abiding by those lakes might as well make it classy.
    Nick4305 likes this.

Phyxiator Loaded Pockets

I carry a Vic Trailmaster (two handed version)and a fixed blade of my choice. Reason being is that fixed blades are legal to carry if they're not designed as weapons (e.g. double edged) and are shorter than 12cm.

Therefore, pretty much any of the usual suspects come into play when talking about EDC fixeds: ESEE Izula, Spyderco Street Beat, neck knives and so on.

Or agree to disagree and carry whatever you want since the chances of being searched are infinitely slim as long as you're not acting suspicious in front of the police or are going to a larger city at night and get yourself wasted.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

I remember buying switchblades in Germany in the early 1970s. Guess it went downhill since.
    warchild likes this.
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Pockets

And yes I've still got one from there too.
    • +1 Supporter

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 ! Still waiting for mine (i'm over 100 days waited, now... )
    Nick

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Böker Cox, Böker Cox Slim, Spyderco Pingo, Spyderco SpyDk (out 2014).. All 3 designed for the danish market which has alot stricter laws than germany
    z0mbiSl4y3r and Nick4305 like this.

Invictus Loaded Pockets

Congratulations! Don't worry, there are lots of good slip joints out there once you start looking! Spyderco's are definitely a must, and as you said buck 110 locking style knives are also not that uncommon. Also remember that most locking blades on older style leatherman and victorinox swisstools are two hand opening, making them legal for carry in Germany. You can check out Stefan Schmalhaus' youtube channel. He's German and regularly posts great carry legal knife vids (mostly gentleman folders), and also explains the German knife laws. There are more options out there than you might think, and remember Germany has one of Europe's most liberal knife laws. Enjoy your stay!
    MikeFromGermany likes this.

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the recommendations! That SpyDk looks tantalizing... didn't know about it!
    • +2 Supporter

sungame Loaded Pockets

This Î.

In addition to the knives already mentioned, just about any Laguiole knife would fit your bill. The Enzo PK70 is another good choice, and the Compact from Le Thiers also looks great.

If you insist on a lock, but don't like traditional knives and find the 110 to heavy, there are other two hand opening lock backs out there. I have not tried it, but Benchmades 15055 Bone Collector Lock-back looks promising.

And, since you're going to Germany after all, Böker offers quite a long list of decent looking two handed locking knives. The Merlin looks nice, for example.
    Invictus likes this.

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

It has been many years on the way, in collaboration with the danish hunters and weapons forum 'nordisk våbenforum'.. Really pleased to see that spyderco take the danes serious, and germany and uk can benefit from this too because when a knife is legal in denmark it is legal in both countries too. :)!

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

Hello,

besides from the aforementioned Spyderco UKPK and the well known slipjoints (SAK, Case) there are a lot of two handed folding knifes with locking blades.

Besides from a Laguiole I like to carry my Müller MSP Backlock for example. Google mueller-messer.de
    Both come in different handle materials, have a decent blade made from S90V steel and look traditional enough to not offend people around here in Germany.

In any way I would recommend to stay with more traditional (= non-threatening, non-tacticool) knifes as these seem to not threaten the people around here. People are not used to see someone carry a knife clipped to his pocket usually. On the other hand a SAK or a traditional looking knife (like those your grandpa used to carry) seem to be tolerated a lot more.

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Brtsmpsn likes this.

DannyX Loaded Pockets

There's a couple things to be said about German knife laws:

- Fixed blades up to 12cm blade length (that's over 4 1/2 inches, so quite a bit) are legal to carry
    - If you carry the one-hander out of reach it is legal ("führen" refers to carrying within reach)
    - If you have legal reason it is legal (legal reasons are: sport, work, traditions but NOT self defense) to carry a one-hand folder
    - There are certain knives that are not considered one-handers by law but definitely are (Pohl Force had one made and acquitted as a "two hander" by German Federal authorities)
    - Violations of the no-carry rule are considered minor misdemeanors (as a first-time offender you can expect a 100 Euro fine (135 dollars) and the loss of your knife) and the risk of getting frisked by cops (they can do this without reason) is generally very low outside of train stations, soccer stadiums and "high risk" occasions (demonstrations, nightlife, crowds of soccer fans, high crime areas, red light districts, etc.).

If you want to be really safe... get a fixed blade.
    FloHimself likes this.

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking hard at an Izula 2. I'm in love with the blade shape and the red and orange ones look sick!

netcat Loaded Pockets

I have to make a few additions here. First, the term is not legal reason, but "eligible interest" ("berechtigtes Interesse"). And this the problem as there is no authorative list. This was done on purpose, in order to give the police and the public prosecution a certain amount of discretion. What happens if a police officer thinks that your reason for carrying the knife is no "eligible interest" is that the knife will be confiscated and the attorney will check whether he thinks that the reasons are eligible, depending on the circumstances. If the police officer is overruled, you'll get your knife back and everything is fine. If the attorney agrees with the police and there will be a legal action filed against you. What usually happens then is that one gets fined up to €10,000 (tenhousand) again depending on the circumstances. You can file a protest, however. This would lead to a court trial in which you might be cleared of the charges on the judges decision.

Carrying the respective knife out of immediate reach is NOT sufficient to prevent a fine, though this is a common (and possibly expensive) misconception. The word "führen" is defined as the actual possession outside your own property (roughly translated). The law however states that carrying the knife within a locked container (with a key, that is) not defined as carrying it.

The agency actually defining which actual knifes are legal to carry in the meaning of the law is the BKA ("Bundeskriminalamt", the German equivalent of the FBI). If somebody is of the opinion that a certain knife should be definitely legal to carry and wants to make sure it is, you can apply for a so called "Feststellungsbescheid" (a legally binding assessment done by the BKA). Problem is - it is expensive. Rescue knifes for example are not considered to be illegal to carry.

Knives are generally and totally illegal to carry on public events such as soccer games and demonstrations. On application, federal and state agencies may issue exceptions, but you better have a very good reason to come up with when you apply for the permit to carry a knife when viewing a soccer game.

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

"Inveniam viam aut faciam!" - I will find a way or make one!
    sungame and kd7dvd like this.
    • +1 Supporter

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Think about a Spyderco Pingo with some custom scales (Cuscadi is over there, after all). You also can't beat a good SAK.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    chrisk91 and livewake like this.

chrisk91 Loaded Pockets

Which SAK is this?