1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Help me find a light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Ippon, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Ippon
    • +1 Supporter

Ippon Loaded Pockets

My Leatherman P3 AFS P has reached the time in it's life where it needs to be replaced. I'm looking for a light that is the same size, or smaller. (AAA battery) I just need some options, because I really dont' know that much about lights. It'll just be an EDC. It doesn't need to have a crazy long runtime as I can recharge it frequently or replace the battery whenever. I'd like it to be at least as bright as my old light. (75 lumens)

Things I prefer/would like, in order of importance
    -Light! as in doesn't weigh very much
    -Durable
    -Cheap (50 dollar range, please)

Hopefully ya'll can help me find something good. Thanks! :D

2. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

Check into Olights, they have some nice AAA lights.

3. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

As surefire mentioned, check out some of the Olight keychain lights. I think the I3e and I3s would be viable options. Another option might be the Fenix E05. Just keep in mind that these are all twisty lights I think and do not have tail clicky switches. Some people don't like twisty lights and some people are ok with them. If you do decide that you want to go slightly bigger, the Fenix E12 uses a single AA light and will give much better runtime and has multiple modes. If not, check out the Olight keychain options. All of these lights are under $30 so it would definitely be within your budget. :) Definitely feel free to let us know what you decide on! Good luck with your search! :)

Water-Rat and dml24 like this.
  4. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Olight I3e was my first choice as well :p. Another suggestion JetBeam SE-AO1. Roughly the same size but 3 lighting modes to choose from to help extend battery life. You can find them under $30 and JetBeam makes a good product too.

Like jcwagers said, many AA lights are slightly bigger then the battery and you will get a lot more choices in a 1xAA flashlight if you don't mind a little bit bigger light and a tad more weight.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is really way too open a request as there are so many aaa lights sold these days that easily fall into your broad needs?

If I had to pick just one though,and I do all the time it would be the Streamlight ProTac 1aaa.
    The Streamlight are one of the very few aaa lights that have a forward clicky switch so that I can have momentary use which is important for me all the time.
    Add to that the good output and build quality and that Streamlight is a pretty big light manufacturer and able to provide better service & Support than most in the USA and it is a winner for me.

Otherwise you will usually see just Twisty lights in aaa and they drive me a little crazy in general.
    The Fenix E05 is the choice for those though for me even with no moonlight mode as it is easily found and rugged in my experience too.
    It also does not try crazy high output at the expense of good runtime which is a priority for me.

But again there are probably 50 decent lights you can choose from with what yo gave us to work with and you would be happy with any of them.

6. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

My humble opinion favors the Fenix E05. I carry the E05 and E12. The single AA E12 has a tail clicky button and the 125 lumen high output is a good flood pattern. Fenix quality is very good along with IPX water resistant rating.

sungame likes this.
  7. Ippon
    • +1 Supporter

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great replies. Looks like the fenix is a popular one. If my "wants" are too broad, I want to keep it to a clicky swich operation. Looking at the Olights, I was initially very turned off by it's shape, but the S1R is really growing on me. Thanks for all the help so far!

8. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

Im very happy with my Fenix hl10
    [​IMG]

If keychain carry is not requered the extra bulk of the headband is wel worth it!

turbo6 and dml24 like this.
  9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Fenix has a 1xAAA with clicky and pocket clip, the LD-02.

Some other 1xAAA lights with clicky switches are:

Lumapower LM21
    Lumintop Tool
    Thrunite Ti5
    Four Sevens Preon P1

Like mentioned above, AA lights are only a little bigger and heavier. Here's a couple:

Thrunite T10
    Fenix E12
    Fenix LD09
    Fenix LD11
    Nitecore MT1A

dml24 likes this.
  10. Ippon
    • +1 Supporter

Ippon Loaded Pockets

wow, I'm starting to realize the massive amounts of options I have.... makes it hard to choose!

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thrunite Ti3 and Lumintop Tool are my favourite AAA flashlights.

12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Fenix E05.

13. PKFan

PKFan Empty Pockets

Thrunite Ti3 and Ti4 (titanium). I also really like the Titanium Innovations Illuminati aluminum version, but is sadly no longer available.

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. REDDEVIL

REDDEVIL EDC Junkie!!!

Lumintop Tool and lumapower LM21/ avenger are my favorite aaa clickies

Water-Rat likes this.
  15. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

PK, the Ti4 is Aluminum, it's the Ti4T that is Titanium. The Ti4 is the 2xAAA version of the 1xAAA Ti5 I mentioned above. The Ti4, Ti4T, Ti5, and Ti5T all look very interesting and the titanium versions are rather cheap for titanium flashlights. There is a titanium version of Thrunite's AA light, too, the T10T. Some day I'll have to try out Thrunite, but I'm pretty set for 1xAAA and other smaller lights at the moment.

And yes, the TI Illuminati is a good light, I don't like it as much as my Olight i3s because I feel the i3s is more versatile, but the Illuminati is my go to baseball cap light. The titanium version, the IlluminaTi, is still available, but that's around $50. And, it is a twisty, so that might scare away the clicky lovers. I find I like twisty and clicky lights equally. Hmm... somebody should make a twisty vs. clicky thread, or did we do that already?

16. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

#1...a Fenix E05 multi mode is my key ring light, but if I need a little more for a pocket I grab my SolarForce Z2... is similar in size to my E12 but first click is brightest setting... the E12 is lowest first

17. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

There are many good choices mentioned here. I'm currently carrying a Thrunite Ti Titanium 1xAAA on my keyring. It works well for me because it has three well-spaced modes, it's made from Titanium, great performance, and inexpensive.

18. NewKidontheGlock

NewKidontheGlock Loaded Pockets

Fenix E05. I have the stainless version. Excellence.

19. CscottsSS

CscottsSS Empty Pockets

Another vote for Thrunite Ti3

20. redvalkyrieone
    • +1 Supporter

redvalkyrieone Loaded Pockets

I'd highly recommend a Lumintop Worm. It can be had in a variety of metals and emitters. It has a simple twisty head with three levels. It starts in medium which is brighter than a E01, then switches to a very low mode, and finally a very high mode that is more than you'd need on a daily basis. It runs on one AAA. The one on my keychain is is the copper variety with a Nichia 219 led. Very pleasing to the eye.

Water-Rat likes this.