1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Homemade trigger pull gauge

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Dirty Bob, Sep 24, 2009.

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

NOTE: This gauge is to be used with UNLOADED firearms only! Be safe!

Last night I made a trigger pull gauge to test the trigger pull of a handgun. It's nothing more than a piece of coat hanger wire bent into a double-ended hook and covered with duct tape to protect gun finishes.

The finished hook is about 5.5 inches (about 14cm) in length. Its weight is minimal.

I put the large hook through the trigger guard of the UNLOADED! handgun and used the small hook to slowly, and gently lift a plastic grocery bag with food items of known weight.

The handgun tested last night did not click with 5 400-gram bags of hot chocolate mix in the grocery bag. This equates to 2000 grams -- or 2 kg., or about 4.4 lbs. -- of weight. Adding another 100 grams made the difference and caused the trigger to click. I can therefore estimate a trigger pull of between 4 and 5 pounds.

This is not an absolutely precise measuring device, but it allows for a pretty good estimate of trigger pull weight with no cost. For rifles, a longer "gauge" would have to be made.

REMEMBER: This gauge is to be used with UNLOADED firearms only! Be safe!

[IMG]

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Actually, what you have there is basically the same thing that is used to check triggers in national and international competition. Spring and electronic gauges are not used at that level. You just need to get some accurate numbers for the weight of the hook and of the weights you use with it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9710/Product/NRA_OFFICIAL_UNIVERSAL_TRIGGER_WEIGHT_SYSTEM
    http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/gehmann-trigger-weight-p-655.html?cPath=54