1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

How do you use your Maxpedition Grimloc™ Carabiner?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by m29oicw, Jun 23, 2007.

m29oicw BST/Marketplace ban

How do you use your Maxpedition Grimloc™ Carabiner?

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Ive used two to attach a shoulder strap to the top of my Max Proteus by putting them in the webbing near the tp carry handle.
    I dont use my Proteus much, though, it feels abit er...."handbaggy"

BSBG Loaded Pockets

I use it on my pack shoulder strap - hang sunglasses case during the day, flashlight at night.

bruner Loaded Pockets

Don't have any myself, but they look intriguing.

I know fellow member Pyro had added some glow-epoxy to his.

That looked pretty neat.

Dan

luigi Loaded Pockets

I have one in my Fatboy and another one in my Falcon backpack, useful as attachment points for different things.
    I have to confess the most common use-case for the Grimloc is to hang bags from shops if I buy something so I don't have to carry them with me while walking.

Luigi

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

Re: How do you use your Grimloc™ Carabiner?

Here's a pic of my Grimloc setup (1024 * 768)

Geoff

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I've been looking at the Grimlocs and wondering what their advantage is over a plain old carabiner. I can imagine they are lighter, but are they stronger? (I'm talking about the "toy" 'biners, here, not the rated ones.)

What do you Grimloc users find are the advantages?

phatch Loaded Pockets

They're probably weaker than some of the toy utility biner's. They're designed to break away instead of hang you up. Not break away easily as it takes something like 90 pounds of force as i recall. That webbing slot in the body of the Grimlock makes them stay put better and not slide around so freely.

maxpedition Banned

Grimloc D-rings are designed to open or break at 80 lbs when used with opening facing up, to avoid snag hazards posed by comparable products made from metal.
    Grimloc D-rings are also designed to open at 20 lbs when used with the opening facing down. Items attached this way can be released by pulling downwards.
    They can be used through the slot or with the entire plunger behind a PALS channel, the latter allows the D-ring to lay flat rather than perpendicular to the surface.
    Grimloc D-rings are NOT carabiners, are not designed for rappelling.

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the explanation Tim (and thanks, phatch, too).

luigi Loaded Pockets

A couple of advantages are the low IR profile so you will not be seen with night vision equipment using the plastic grimlocs.
    Then the plastic construction is fine to use with gloves and sand or dust won't make the grimloc fail to engage or disengage.
    They are light too.

Luigi

greenLED Empty Pockets

I have one clipped to my pack (on a webbing loop), and I hang all sorts of random stuff from it when I'm outdoors.

Edwood Loaded Pockets

I have two attached to my Maxpedition Neatfreak, usually used to carry grocery bags.

-Ed

Codeman Loaded Pockets

X2
    • +1 Supporter

hcd615 Loaded Pockets

I received my black Griploc D-rings today and I have one question:

How does it "Work as a pump for purging trapped sand or water through integral drain holes."

luigi Loaded Pockets

I think that it means that if water or sand gets trapped in the mechanism the button will work as a pump and purge the sand/water through the holes on the sides of the mechanism.

Luigi

towheadedmule Loaded Pockets

Wonder when Maxpedition is going to make Grimlocs in Foliage green. Just curious

R

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

Re: How do you use your Grimloc™ Carabiner?

ITW Nexus already manufactures Foliage Green, Tan & Black Grimlocs

Geoff

towheadedmule Loaded Pockets

In_Flux Loaded Pockets

I use 4 of them instead of malice clips to hold my new FR-1 Pouch to my Camelbak MaxGear HAWG.

Malice clips may be more secure, and hold the FR-1 a bit closer to the bag, but the Grimloc's are plenty strong (remember there are 4 of them) and it's much quicker to remove the FB-1 or swap out a similar sized pouch.