1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How to and Where to host pictures.

Discussion in 'FAQs + How To' started by Lunal_Tic, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

In this thread I will list some places to host pictures off-site. Hopefully I'll also have a chance to put in some basic "How-to" instructions as well. Right now, however, my familiarity is mainly with ImageShack, so I will stick to this for the time being.

Currently EDCF allows uploading of your pictures. As we grow, it is quite likely we will have to suspend this feature. We have already had to enlarge the upload capacity used by the forum software, and EDCF has only been active for a short time. In anticipation of this event, I would recommend getting used to hosting your pictures with a hosting service like those listed below. Using these services will also allow you to link to the same picture on several forums or even send links to friends rather than having to upload or email the same picture over and over again.

Photobucket
    photobucket FAQs
    photobucket Tutorials

dotphoto
    dotphoto's Terms of service

Flickr
    Flickr product tour

Picasa
    Picasa product tour

ImageShack
    The ImageShack site offers the ability to post thumbnails of your photos that link back to the larger-size original. This feature decreases the bandwidth use for sites and allows pages to load faster. It also has the added benefit of always being smaller than the recommended picture size for this forum, 640x480pxl, even though you might have uploaded a larger picture to Image Shack. This option is very helpful with photo-heavy posts and detail photos for which 640x480 just isn't big enough.

One thing about ImageShack, once you sign up they send a confirmation email with a link that you must use to to get to your pictures. If you use multiple computers then I would strongly recommend forwarding it to yourself and archiving it in case you get locked out later. Once you have logged on the first time using this link you can put that address in your favorites. Mind you this was how it worked as of my sign up a few years ago. Perhaps a more recent applicant could post an update.

Please understand that no service is perfect. There will always be a bug or two or features/add-ins that are annoying. Many sites have pop-up, which is how they receive their funding; remember most of these sites are free. Find the service that works for you, and try several.

This will be another work-in-progress thread. Please post any ideas or tips that you might have found, and we'll try to incorporate them, as applicable, into this first post.

Thanks for your help with this.

EDCF Staff

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

I use imageshack and it has been working rather well for me.

I especially like the fact that I can post thumbnail images (which load faster than full size images).  The thumbnail image can be clicked on to view the full size picture.

I've had a few evenings when imageshack was down or not working properly, but overall I am happy with them.

Here's an example of a thumbnai (click to view full size image)l...
    [​IMG]

Uploading pictures is fairly easy and adding a thumbnail, or link, or the actual full size image in a post is just a matter of cutting and pasting some code. They make it relatively simple, just give it a try, and if you need help, I would be happy to help.

Dan

3. erckgillis

erckgillis Empty Pockets

Re: How to and Where to host pictures. (updated 7/31/06)

I like the dotphoto.com

The albulms, web links and the built-in tools for slides, videos and editing etc.

Free accounts with no limits, Video for a small fee (but I use Youtube).

Excellent quality without resizing, free slides shows and public/private viewing by members/guest.

includes tags, captions and bulk uploads.

check it out

http://erckgillis.dotphoto.com

4. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Thank you for adding that link erckgillis.

Two other that haven't been mentioned in the OP are flickr and Picasa's online service (neither of which I've used), so can't give details

5. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Picasa is very nice I use it to share some albums and works very nicely.
    But I don't know if you can create a thumbnail to a picasa hosted image to post here.

Luigi

6. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

OP updated with new links and minor edits.

I'll have to try it sometime. I really like the thumbnails because it speeds up loading times when I'm on dial-up.

:thinking: It'd be great if people who use these other services could chime in with a short tutorial, pro's, con's, etc.

7. normshapiro

normshapiro Loaded Pockets

I've just posted a couple of photos using the sizes called for. They show up very small. How do I post larger images (like those by Esthan just before my post on Bags) and still meet forum guidelines? I'm using Photoshop for my photos.

8. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Did you upload them or link to a hosting site? If the former then the forum software resizes them to thumbnails that expand when you click on them. If the latter then you just need to use 640x480 sized pix and post a link to them. Don't use the thumbnail link if you what them to show in your post at full size. Be aware that posting a lot of full sized pix will slow loading speeds for people so for those posts use thumbnails.

-LT

9. gadgetjunky
    • +2 Supporter

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

I use Imagevenue and fototime. Imagevenue is free, but no easy way to manage pictures once they are uploaded. Fototime is like $30 a year and allows online albums and hot linking.

10. normshapiro

Thanks for giving me the maximum size. There is no Photo size only file size (128KB) given when you hit the attachment button. Maybe you can add the photo size and resolution setting.

11. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

The photo size limit is posted in the FAQ section (also listed above in the first post) and the 128KB attachment limit per post is shown when you try to make an attachment.

-LT

12. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

I like picoodle.com

Also, for the Mac users. I use a free program called imagewell to resize photos.

13. normshapiro

I'm trying make a post where my image residing in flickr shows up on the post-not the link. Can't remember how to do this. Thanks.

14. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Re: How to and Where to host pictures.

I was working this morning and wanted to learn how to post a picture that is hosted in a Picasa Web Album .

Here is the base HTML Code (shown as a picture so you can actually see it)

[img width=640 height=108]http://lh4.ggpht.com/kblumenshine/SEGPRCg6r4I/AAAAAAAAABs/4ubt43lFyK0/html%20code.jpg[/img]

It is pretty easy to decode this.

Just type the text in black and then include the two picture addresses that are shown in hilighted yellow from Picasa.

The first hilighted address is the address in your browser - just select it and copy it in your code.

Some more text in black.

The second hilighted address is the address of the picture.

Right click on the photo in Picasa, select Properties, and you get this infomation box.

[​IMG]

Select the URL (hilighted) of the photo and paste it into your code

Type the rest of the black text.

Have Fun ...

Kent

I have corrected the subject of this post. Please do not change subjects in the FAQ area.

Thanks,
    Ray

:dabird:

15. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

Ironic: a post about posting pictures, and I can't see the pictures. :doh:

16. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Absoluetely wild ...

Pic shows in the post normally on my Vista system ....

Does not show on my XP system.

If you click on the box with the X - it takes you to the picture.

Still more work to do.

KM

17. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Ok ... here is the drill - thanks for the help Easy 76

With the picture selected on your screen, There is a button on the right side of the screen in your Picasa Web Album that says

Link to this Photo

Expand it and select the text in the box

HTML to embed in website

just paste that code in your message body and all should be well.

KM :-X

18. corndog815

corndog815 Empty Pockets

On mine it says that u can have the link to an album but not a picture?

19. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

This thread is intended to be instructional. If you wish to practice posting a picture, please do so here.

I have removed several such practice posts.

Thanks!

:dabird:

20. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I have been using ImageShack thumbnails to post pictures in my posts and it has worked great. I have noticed some people have thumbnails posted but when you click on the thumbnail it doesn't take you to the host's web site but enlarges the picture right then and there. Does anyone know what host does that? Does it take up more space doing that and ImageShack thumbnails still preferred? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Parawolfe