1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

How to tie a Hayanawa (Fast Rope)

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by mercop, Dec 29, 2007.

mercop Empty Pockets

Even if you are not into Ju Jitsu or Hojo Jitsu this is a great way to store some parachute cord to keep it handy. Try about 15 feet. If you do it write it will unwravel without binding. The idea is to hold the knot in one hand and wrap the bundle around the attackers neck witht he other hand and continue to bind him as you need to. More information can be found at my home dojo www.reddragonjujitsu.com. Masters who still teach this are far and few between.

First just take the parachute cord and tie two overhand knots in one end as pictured . The "loop" should be about 8-10 inches long.

[IMG]

Next hold the bottom knot in your weak hand as shown.

[IMG]

Wrap the live end around your pinkie and cross back over your pointer finger to begin to do figure 8s.

[IMG]

Continue to do figure 8s until you have about four feet of cord left and finish on top with your knot.

[IMG]

Now slide the bundle off your fingers being sure to keep it all together. Start wrapping the live end around the bundle.

[IMG]

Just finish it up like you would any other bundle of parachute cord.

[IMG]

Now pull the loop and the whole thing unwravels without binding up.

[IMG]

WARNING- Like with anything involving parachute cord this can be addictive to see how neat you can get your Hayanawa. They do make pretty kewl gifts once you show the person how to tie it. Let me know how you like it.

bruner Loaded Pockets

Moved, with a bump.
    :db:
    - bruner
  1. Seems cool, and thank you for going to the trouble to show us.

I'm not sure I can make out exactly how the steps are done, though, from the instructions as they are. More detail would benefit them, including more detailed text and larger pictures. At that point I'll try it and will probably end up liking it.

What's the manner in which it would be used in jiu-jitsu, now?

big payback Empty Pockets

I would like to know how this works... looks like a fistload/garrotte/trapping weapon... love to see it in action!

mercop Empty Pockets

The Hayanawa was used by the Samurai to secure a prisoner for transport. There are different knots to allow him to just use his hands to eat, only to kneel or stand or not move at all, even carried on a pole. Several ropes could be used to attach several prisoners together, in a line, back to back, sitting or standing. Their is usually a wrap around the neck that will stangle as you try to free yourself. Very nasty stuff that very schools teach because few Masters know it. I am lucky in that mine does.

I don't want to sound like a salesman but I do think this stuff is awesome and my Master is one of the very few who teach it. His DVD is very good and is a great resource to study hojo.
  2. I'll have to bust out the book, but I could swear I read something about using rope to secure a prisoner, and it might be in Col. Applegate's "Kill or Be Killed." I'll check it later, have to dig the book out of a trunk.

mercop Empty Pockets

It is in the Police Ju Jitsu book

k13pt0 Empty Pockets

thanx for the tutorial Mercop i was looking for info on doing this tie for a couple of days now .. one question .. what is the purpose of doing the 2 looped over hand knots at one end? .. i can see that you place your thumb through the top loop but what is the second one for?

mercop Empty Pockets

different techniques

HammerHead Loaded Pockets

I've been practicing this for a couple of nights now, though not for the purposes I think Mercop uses. I've been applying it to the lengths of 550 cord I carry on my Wasatch. In those applications I've learned that the two lead knots on the static end aren't necessary. I've started my sections with a single loop and over hand knot to provide a place to clip the wrapped cord to my rigging.

I've discovered that the figure 8 is invariably the most useful component of this lesson, this is what keeps the wrapping from binding up when released. I've noticed, though, wrapping it around my fingertips is impractical for lengthy segments of 550. After trying a few items I have on hand, without building a jig (might do that in a few days), I found that my XBox 360 controller is great for wrapping figure 8s in a length of about 50' of 550. This leaves me with an 8" bound section of cord that can be easily unraveled when I need it.

mercop Empty Pockets

Great tip bro, thanks.

cybe Empty Pockets

Thank you, very very nice.

Now that my paracord is magically neat I got interested in looking into the Hayanawa techniques.

unterhund Empty Pockets

:iagree:

Thank you very much! It's made my paracord bundle much neater and tighter.

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Very interesting and as you said, really addictive.
    One twist I tried adding to this recipe is hiding the loose end; you make a loop on a separate piece of rope or fishing line and place it under the last 2-3 turns you're making around the bundle. Then you thread the loose end through this loop and give it a tug. The loose end is pulled under the wrap, leaving you with an one-ended rope ;)
    This is originally used in archery for bowstring servings (wraps) and binding fletches to traditional arrows, though I think fly fishers know this trick and many many more.

Chapel Empty Pockets

The most amazing thing happened. All my smaller bundles of paracord miraculously got neater this afternoon :evilgrin:

mercop Empty Pockets

If you are in the MD area we are doing a Ho Jojtsu seminar next month.

Johnny_Z Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying some 1/8" cord like this for years. Ya never know when you'll have to tie someone up on short notice. :D

As for the two loops, they can be used to make cuffs and other loops. Each family or school of Hojojitsu had it's own methods of tying.

scanshift Empty Pockets

thanks for a great tutorial.