1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ideal keychain light these days

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by speedy, May 12, 2016.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

What is the ideal keychain light these days? I ask for been through about 2 Photon lights (love how small and light they are), and after that been buying cheaper models in Target, Walmart, etc.

I would prefer a light that I can click on and stay on without me squeezing and I used to have that with the Photon light and really not sure why they want bye bye but they are long gone. Granted this isn't mandatory but again a nice feature. Also, must be a non-color light for when I got one I think it was red back in the day, I couldn't tell cable colors when I was underneath someone's desk weeding through all the CAT5 cables.

Advise?

BigJerm likes this.
  2. Cuester

Cuester Loaded Pockets

Not exactly keychain size but I have a buddy that carries a streamlight microstream and it's awesome. He made a holster for his multitool with a little pocket for it.

3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Well, loads of options out there but I keep going back to the Photon light myself. Much better than the cheap clones. In my experience they are pretty robust and I've only needed to replace batteries so far.

MKLight likes this.
  4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I bought a load of AAA lights for keychains etc then nitecore brought the tube out and I wished I'd bought a few of those instead. Lightweight, cheap, bright enough, rechargeable. Mecarmy have brought out some interesting ones recently but cost a lot more than a nitecore tube.

TitanEDC likes this.
  5. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Loaded Pockets

I just recently got a mecarmy illuminex and I really like it. Very small, 2 levels, and it even has micro usb recharging built in.

TitanEDC likes this.
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I'm not as much a light buyer as I used to be but the new Olight copper AAA looks amazing for $19...

7. conscious-coma

conscious-coma Loaded Pockets

To echo what a couple of others have said, the Mecarmy IllumineX and the Nitecore Tube are both excellent choices, depending on your needs. Go for the tube if you want lighter weight, longer run-times or a low 1 lumen mode. Go for the IllumineX if you want a brighter light, a twisty interface or more "exotic" materials.

8. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I looked up your Mecarmy and no offense to me it looks like another Surefire which is not the direction I was thinking. If I do this probably going to be Photon just waiting for my Amazon credits to come in so I can buy it using credits not out-of-pocket-money.

harold parrish likes this.
  9. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

STREAMLIGHT NANO. Incredibly bright for it's size.

Day Tripper likes this.
  10. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Loaded Pockets

The MecArmy light isn't anything like a Surefire to me. It's a little bit bigger than a Photon, but not that much. Here's a terrible picture of mine next to a Photon 2 and a Photon Freedom to give a little perspective on the size.

[​IMG]

totemeca, Ironside and BigJerm like this.
  11. conscious-coma

If you are dead set on a photon style light, definitely consider the Nitecore Tube. It may be a few grams heavier and a few mm longer but the extra features are worth it (USB rechargable, variable brightness). Plus if you get the clear one, you can do this...

[​IMG]

Brainstorm, Gamble, TV09 and 10 others like this.
  12. pantagana23

pantagana23 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Nitecore Tube. I have one on my keychain for a year now, and it gives you more light than the old Maglites with incandecent light. Does however, turn on in pocket every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IHateBottleOpeners and Roger like this.
  13. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

a little bigger, but my 2014 Fenix E05 works well... 3 modes, twist

sungame likes this.
  14. JackedLobster

JackedLobster Empty Pockets

I agree with Rambocat. Check out the Streamlight Nano and see what you think.

15. Blackheart
    • +2 Supporter
    • +1 Supporter

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I'm happy with my Nitecore Tube (compact, light weight, rechargeable), but this looks interesting;

[​IMG]

Factor Equipment Ghost 130, stainless steel, uses a single 10180 Li-ion battery, USB rechargeable, around $30.

Nick4305 and RAMBOCAT like this.
  16. Blackheart
    • +2 Supporter
    • +1 Supporter

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Looks like Fenix just came out with their own version of the Tube.

[​IMG]

17. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

There's an Innova model which is similar to the Photon in form, has several functions (glow, high, flash and always on). I use it as EDC because I like the attachment clip it comes with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c99camper likes this.
  18. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

What size tritium did you get for it? Great idea btw!

Roger likes this.
  19. conscious-coma

I think I actually got the idea from someone else on here. Or maybe /r/edc... In any case it's a 3x23mm tritium vial. It is a very tight fit though. Also, be careful with the tiny screws holding the Tube together; I sheared the head off one of mine putting it back together by over-tightening.

O_G and Roger like this.
  20. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Loaded Pockets

Mecarmy SGN3. It's a direct competitor with the Nitecore Tube only the build quality is absolutely excellent and it puts out 160 lumens on high. Micro USB rechargeable,3 modes. I have the Gray model on my keys right now and it's been a great light.