1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ideal keychain light these days

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by speedy, May 12, 2016.

1. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

My concern with the Nitecore TIP is the raised buttons. Lockout is a pain and I wish they made them recessed.

I have the Nitecore EC11 with similar buttons and it has turned on while just sitting in a bag. Obviously it got pressed somehow but an empty battery is no fun. Now I unscrew it every time I take it anywhere.

david57strat likes this.
  2. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I haven't seen this light for less than $30.00. Looks intriguing. I have the Tube, but the TIP is much more appealing to me, in terms of output, and beam pattern (The Tube has no reflector), and isn't much bigger than the Tube.

Truth be told, I don't really carry a key chain light traditionally (on an actual key chain. I have way too many keys to make key chain carry practical, this way). When I can only carry one light, on -person (at work, for instance), it's this Zebralight SC600w Mk III), and its' always front-pocket-carried, regardless of what I'm wearing, or where I am.

[​IMG]
    The Mk III is the one in the middle (next to the battery case).

It seems, now Nitecore have a Tip CRI model, with the beloved Nichia 219 emitter. I may have to pick one of those up, soon; but I'd kind of like to see some reviews and beam shots on that one, first. The CRI model has an ANSI-rated high output of 220 lumens (as opposed to the 350 of the original Tip model), which is a small compromise to make, for the added color rendition.

My only complaint about the Tip is that it doesn't appear to have a cover for the Micro USB charging port. How can it be water proof (or at least, water resistant), without one?

Last edited by david57strat, Sep 5, 2016
  3. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

This has become the only light I keep on my person these days. I have it in brass on my keychain.
    The quick disconnect really sets it apart from the herd. Being hi-CRI is the icing on the cake. Tailstands when I need it to. I even went back after a couple of months and got the clip for it.

Definitely worth the money.

TV09 and azpops like this.
  4. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I have to do the same with my EA11, which uses an 14500 IMR battery. I don't really trust electronic lock-out.

steeps likes this.
  5. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

Surefire Sidekick. Disappears in the pocket

6. ScoutMedic
    • +1 Supporter

ScoutMedic Loaded Pockets

I purchased a Ti Mini JetBeam Mini Ti XP-G2 130 lm... it is rechargeable via a USB port that is in the main body it holds a charge very well and it has a low/high function with the just a turn of the bezel.
    [​IMG]

jag-engr likes this.
  7. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

Replying to the post by steeps... (I don't see the quote from his post):

A few TIP users posting on another forum today are reporting accidental draining of the TIP after locking it out. The cause of this problem isn't clear in all of the reported cases, but is probably accidental activation while locked out.

That's one reason why I'm not keeping my new TIP on a key chain or in a pocket with other items- I'm keeping it separate to avoid accidental activation, but also to avoid the finish being quickly scratched-up.

steeps likes this.
  8. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, there's been some pretty harsh reviews by some disappointed people. To have a light with a lock out mode, which in turn kills the battery despite no use is pretty bad.

I'm sure Nitecore will revamp or fix this eventually but still a major letdown to all of those who pre-ordered.

Innovation is awesome, but if you can't back it up with reliability then what's the point?

9. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

Yes, it looks like the power draining problem when the light is locked off is a result of the design of the light and its components. Some people are quite disappointed by this flaw, but it won't detract from my use and enjoyment of my new TIP - I was not planning to use the lockout feature very often.

I don't plan on carrying my TIP on my key chain, as I am compulsive about avoiding scratches in the finish and other damage to even my small flashlights through contact with metallic objects. I put little button-cell lights on my key chains, but nothing made of metals.

10. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

The TIP has worked out well for me so far, as have the many Tubes I've given away and stashed in places for my own use. I carry a Thrunite Ti on my keyring but have been toying with changing it out for a TIP.

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am done with the Tube myself.
    Every single time I charge one and carry it I find it on in my pocket or dead from that,never ready when I need it.
    The switch is just too easy to hit in the pocket with anything else.

Back on the hunt but I doubt it will be Nitecore!

12. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

I forgot to update what I did; at Target I saw this really nice looking chrome Energizer light keychain. In complete darkness it works great and very affordable.

Found this on the web:

[​IMG]

13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

-3 on the Nitecore Tube because that's how many I purchased and that's how many died back-to-back-to back within two days of one another. Never again. Never carried them on a "keychain;" however, I have heard that they do turn on while in a pocket.

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I attended a seminar late last year and the host provided this product as a giveaway. I chose a red-colored version. My daughter will not part with this light. She states that it has been very handy.

It's not bad; massive improvement over the incandescent version. It's a little long, 'tho.

Water-Rat likes this.
  15. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Not only that, but since their brightness isn't really there in comparison to something like what I bought, and what I bought is much smaller, brighter and lighter why would you go Solitaire?

0dBm likes this.
  16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't; being fairly knowledgeable about flashlights. It's just another option if others are not available.

17. totemeca

totemeca Loaded Pockets

try the dqg fairy (brass) or dqg spy (Ti)

[​IMG]

TV09 and Water-Rat like this.
  18. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

My Thrunite Ti3 rides on my keychain very nicely. I have a second clipped to my pocket which goes unnoticed. 0.04 moonlight mode which lasts 115hrs, 12lumen medium for 6.3hrs, and 120lumen high for 30min. 1AAA battery.
    [​IMG]

19. Millertime1974
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

Millertime1974 Loaded Pockets

I have carried the TUBE now for several months. I won't say that I use it everyday, but I have used it quite often. I do find that it turns itself on occasionally in pocket. However, I have only had it be "dead" on me one time when I pulled it out to use it. All in all, however, I am happy with it as a lightweight yet durable and mostly dependable source for quick light. My wife also carries one and loves it as well.

I do agree that no reflector on it does cause some light "spill" and that would be my major complaint about it . . . I have to put my fingers over the end to direct/block the light. That or I could try some tape.

20. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I don't use the lockout feature, I put adhesive velco arround the switch. Have not had an accidental activation since.

steeps likes this.