1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

IMCO TRIPLEX Super 6700

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by gstojinovic, Dec 12, 2010.

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

IMCO is second oldest lighter manufacturer in the world, right after Ronson. Company Julius Meister & Co. has been established in 1907, and it manufactured buttons durin WWI. After WWI ended there were no need for uniform buttons, and since 1918 IMCO started lighter manufacturing. First lighters were made of empty ammo shells, and first models were created between 1918 and 1919. Since then IMCO have made arround 70 different models. In XX century IMCO entered as a market leader, but today with hughe number of manufacturers, unfortunately there is only two who offers genuine Austrian quality.

[IMG]

Their most famest model is IMCO TRIPLEX Super 6700, which was developed in early 1936, and technically improved during 1950. This model is manufactured in original form even today.

[IMG]

IMCO TRIPLEX Super 6700 uses petrol fuel, and even can use kerosene. It is made of quality stainless steel, and even today most parts of lighter are hand made and assembled. Finaly every lighter goes trough rigorous tests, and all of above together with well known Austrian precision, engineering, and dedication to quality provides ten years of warranty period on every product from IMCO.

[IMG]

TRIPLEX Super is complex engineered and excellently designed. It consist of few parts in such way that there is no tools needed to disassemble and reassemble this lighter. Reservoir insert goes from bottom side in housing, and it has its own cap. By form it reminds on ammo shell and it holds cotton filling and wick. Other part of lighter houses flint mechanism and spare flints. It disassembles by pressing the button at the bottom and opens around shaft at the top. Last part is unique cover system constructed so that by one press lighter opens and throw sparks. Integral part of cover is cap which fits firmly on top of tapered upper part of tank and covers wick in such way that evaporation of fluid is highly reduced. This model is specific by its sliding part which controls air flow trough side slots on body. By sliding air flow is regulated and flame is lower or higher, also main function of this slider is to provide wind shield so that the lighter can operate in extreme weather conditions.

[IMG]

By its construction and technical details IMCO TRIPLEX Super self defines its purpose. This lighter is excellent for every type of use, even extreme one. Besides sliding windproof cover, the fuel tank can be fastly and easy removed when lit and be used as a candle (it has a flat end and can tailstand), it can be putted in hard reachable areas, under tinder, it can even be used as hand warmer, etc. One of IMCO TRIPLEX Super specificity is that it wont miss a strike, it will lit every time, and this is not just mine observation, but experience of many users. By all stated TRIPLEX Super qualifies as very usefull part of every EDC, ither for smokers or non smokers, especially as inevitable part of hunting, fishing, outdoors and camping gear, together with everyone who wants to be prepared. It is also valuable notice that IMCO lighters are beautifully designed, and on the vintage side, and they will cach an eye of everyone around.

[IMG]

Some of the downsides of this lighter could be its complex construction, and higher potential for malfunction, but with 10 year warranty, it’s not a problem. Also this lighter although wind and weather proof, isn’t entirely waterproof, so you need to take care outdoors not to wet it entirely, but then again competition isn’t any better.

[IMG]

By it’s functionality IMCO TRIPLEX Super 6700 leaves competitors behind by far, even the famous ZIPPO. It is desirable part of every EDC gear and seriously advisable for everyone who spend a lot of time outdoors, and everyone who needs dependable and usable fire source.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Rusty412 and Nick4305 like this.

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Great review thanks.

I own a few IMCO lighters and I think they are excellent. The oldest one I have is a Junior which I bought in the 80's. It still works 100% and is in great shape too. They really are a bargain for what you pay, and a classic too IMO :)

P35 Loaded Pockets

:ty: for the excellent review, and fine pictures. Looks like a fine EDC item.

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

gstojinovic thats was a wonderful review and amazing pictures too. you ruined my sunday morning haha,, i searched the web for these lighters and went to the company site too...then to Youtube..then ebay ...finally bought myself one...

another lighter i surely dont need..im sure i will use it anyway..cant wait to get it...

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'm trying like heck to find one of these that I don't have to trust being shipped from Bulgaria or Hong Kong. Can anyone help? I'm looking for the exact same model in these pics.
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of them, and they are pretty nice, but I still prefer my zippo. I had heard before I got one that if you don't open them the fuel doesn't evaporate out, or at least MUCH slower than it does in a zippo, but I did not notice any difference in how long before it dried up, about a week and it dried up. If it did stay filled longer, I'd probably switch over to it, but since it doesn't, I like playing with my zippo more.
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I thought they went out of business in the last couple months.

edit. Looks like it was last summer. http://www.imcolighter.com/
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Evil D Loaded Pockets

• In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Well, there aren't a lot of choices for a lighter that's no longer made, and if you look you can actually get 1 for 1/2 that, and the 1 $100 is actually for 3 lighters, so that's $33 dollars a lighter. You asked for a lighter like that not being shipped from overseas, so I gave you some links. If you wanted them for cheap, you should have said that. I guess the old saying that helping never helps still holds true.
    • +4 Supporter
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy Loaded Pockets

I love the streamline

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well, I just didn't expect them to be so highly priced. I had already found a bunch of sites like that, I was just curious if anyone knew of any that weren't so high. I remember them being on Amazon for $10.
    • +1 Supporter

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

There are lot used on Ebay, starting price 10 bucks. "Imco lighter".
    gstojinovic likes this.

Rogue9 Loaded Pockets

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Can anyone verify the authenticity of this?
    I lost my original and went to amazon to find a new one.
    The ad pics never showed the stars. I know the triplex's had a few variations.
    Just looking at the internal pics there seem to be a few variations from pics I find online.
    I didn't know it at the time either but this came from china.
    Not in original packaging, but repackaged nicely in mylar bag with extra flints and wick.

batteur Loaded Pockets

I’m not an expert, but bought a two when they were still available last year. Does yours have the “IMCO PAT.” on the inside like you can see in the images in the starting post? Can’t see it on yours, but probably due to glare. Mine have it.
    If not that’s by no mean a sign yours is definitely fake, but only an indication it could be one.

Rogue9 Loaded Pockets

No it doesn't I noticed that too reading around.
    If they are fake they're actually a good set of fakes... quite sturdy and if It didn't have the stars down the spine I honestly wouldn't even have checked and asked here.
    • +4 Supporter
    • +3 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy Loaded Pockets

All of my 6700's have it but only one of my streamlines have the "imco pat" I can't imagine it's a fake. It was reasonably priced.

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of these as well.. must be 'fakes' as i only paid like 8 buck for each including shipping a couple years ago but they all still work perfectly, not a single spot of rust to be found on any of em!

They are very nice lighters indeed but i would not spend any 'real' money on one. Yes they are sturdy but unlike my armor zippo for example i would not put one of these in my back pocket and not worry about sitting on the thing with my full weight. The imco has sharp corners as well, dunno what would give out first; the lighter or my butt.... but im not gonna try and find out ;)

Nice lighters if you want a lightweight oil lighter, but if you are gonna spend real money might as well get a zippo but in all honesty you need both a zippo and one of these as they are quite different beasts :D

Please dont silly out and spend 100 bucks on one of these.
    mole likes this.

batteur Loaded Pockets

They were quite cheap a few years ago but due to collector prices they went expensive when the company closed down.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

They are a great looking lighter and I will look out for one as a collectors piece, but you still have the fuel carry and drying out problem to live with. still the good old bic and wax covered matches for EDC. thanks for sharing it reminds me to look through some old stuff at my uncles i seem to remember something similar.
    Xiii