1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

It's Time: The Wristwatch Makes A Comeback

Discussion in 'Watches' started by jehan60188, Nov 8, 2010.

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131163403

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I have several nice and expensive watches that are all metal, I only wear them when I get dressed up for an outing.....but a few years ago my father passed and I have EDC'ed his favorite watch on my wrist ever since. I go to it all the time anymore, occasionally to my phone.

Great read....thanks for posting it.

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I'll admit to being a bit old-fashioned. I've carried everything from Top-of-the-line phones to basic models. I'm back to using a basic model. And it normally stays switched off in my car. I'm not a businessman or a 14 year-old girl. I don't need a cell.

It's difficult to find truly great watches that are a perfect fit for me in every way, shape, and form. My Timex Expedition was only $55, and is a great beater. My Pulsar PHX227 is a fantastic casual sports watch. After Christmas, it'll be my new Citizen Eco-Drive. Got it for a good price.

Every cell I've owned has crapped out on me. I trust my wrist watches far more. I have washed my watches under running water with no problems. Try that with a cell.

There are some very stylish watches out there. No reason for a young man not to wear one.

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Agreed

That line tickled me :-D
    Unfortunately I have to carry two, it can be a pain at times - but it's also my timepiece, calculator, converter and more

I'd love to, but too many harsh environments, snag hazards and other complications for me. It would either get wrecked very quickly, or I'd end up getting degloved. The only time I tend to have a watch is at weddings etc, and it's a gold plated pocket watch I picked up cheap a few years ago.

I did try wearing a watch at other "clean" occasions a few times, but found myself just looking at my phone out of habit as I'd forgot about the watch.

RGNY Empty Pockets

given that i have an unreasonable and burning hatred of cellphones, i prefer a watch.

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

For some of us, they never left.

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Good point.

I fall into that category.

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

There has been a watch strapped to my wrist since I was seven, and it ain't getting taken off anytime soon...

Sure I do have a phone, but it just isn't the same - phones have batteries to worry about, are hidden in pockets and need woken up to see the clock, and I don't even carry one all the time though either exercising the choice not to be eternally in contact, or just not being allowed while working.
    On my wrist right now I have a watch that is always there to hand, never runs out of power (solar powered in my case, though a nice auto wins here too), is infinitely tougher than any phone I have carried (yes, even the indestructible Nokias...) and is easily readable at a glance wherever I am.

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Yeah, I never stopped wearing a watch and I've worked for a watch/accessory manufacturer for several years so, while it's not required it's kind of expected that you're gonna wear a watch. Fortunately, they don't make us wear our own brand all the time (as we make several and sell even more). So wear those watches!

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yep, I had my first watch in junior high, and never stopped wearing one since, even thou I have time on my phone, my computer, my car etc.

Black Rose Loaded Pockets

Very true. I've worn a watch as long as I can remember.

I am still wearing the Timex Ironman watch I bought myself back in 1991.

I recently was able to repair a wind-up watch that my grandmother gave me when I entered junior high school back in 1979 and now wear that as well.

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

The decline of wearing a watch for me was the when the computer mouse became prominent. You see I write left handed, so I would wear a watch on the right arm. The issue is that I use my right hand for the mouse. Which often works wonderfully as I can use the mouse and take notes all with separate hands.

I never found a watch that could fit in my specific world.

Senni Empty Pockets

I do too. All the same, I'm pretty sure the future is handheld computers instead of many single-purpose devices like we have now.

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I'm waiting for a watch sized computer that can project holographic display user interface.