1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Khukuri?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Oaklington, Nov 10, 2012.

• In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

So I've been looking to buy a small/mini khukuri to carry as a fixed blade edc. The only one I've found so far is a smallish one from khukuri house.
    [IMG]
    But it's not exactly small, it's got a 4 inch blade and a 2 inch handle :(

So I was wondering if you guys have any other suggestions of khukuris, fixed/folders dun matter it's the shape that's cool. Or if anyone has any experiance edcing a fixed blade this size or even this knife.

Edit: The handle is 3 inches and not 2 as i had typed before :p
    Last edited by Oaklington, Nov 11, 2012

Ademar Loaded Pockets

Excuse me, would you please explain what is a purpose of using up to 4 inch blade kukri?

byksm Loaded Pockets

• Administrator
    • +4 Supporter

xbanker Ad Hoc Admin

In some parts of the world, particularly Nepal, the khukuri-style knife is the knife of choice. A good, all-around utility knife (and not just a weapon). In the hands of someone skilled with these (that would not be me :) ), incredibly useful. Quote: "Its use has varied from building, clearing, chopping firewood, and digging to cutting meat and vegetables, skinning animals, and opening tins."

And, like Oaklington says, "it's the shape that's cool." Sometimes that's the only justification required ... the cool factor. :)

Not to mention, they've got wolverines and wild boars in Sweden. :D
    mrlysle, Oaklington and Blerv like this.

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Wow that is pretty sweet. I have a Ka-bar Kukri and love it. :censored: now there is another thing on the list!

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

The folding Cold Steel ones that byksm referenced are good. There's also a folder that Boker makes. The best quality 4" fixed blade (the same company makes a folder) I have (and I do have the others including the one the OP has) is by Citadel (owned by a French guy who lives/works in Cambodia). Here's the web link: http://www.depdep.com/Kukri-fixed-blade they are expensive and hard to find, but absolutely top quality. I actually picked one off on eBay for about $100 ... Look for them using "Citadel kukri" as the search term. For some reason the alternative search term using the variant spelling doesn't come up as often.

Just thought of another one: the Ka-Bar Johnson Adventure Potbelly. Not a true kukri, but it has definitely got the derivation. This knife is a beast: http://www.agrussell.com/ka-bar-johnson-adventure-baconmaker-and-potbelly/p/KA5601/ oh, and the Citadel Fox Deimos is an excellent one, too (I think I have a touch of "Kukri Kraziness").
    Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Nov 10, 2012

Blerv Loaded Pockets

A 4" Khuk will chop like a bigger knife due to weight distribution and angle. It will carve easier without extreme wrist contortion. Oh...and amazing looks :).

I have my Spyderco Khukuri clipped now. A cruddy chopper but funky.

nw1911guy Loaded Pockets

With a 2" handle? Who's chopping with it, Rocky the flying squirrel?
    DrChimRichalds and Oaklington like this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

A bit off topic, but: out of all the machetes I own (less than a dozen), the smallest is a Kukri.
    Blade about 12"; handle about 6".

The cuttin'est machete I own, including my previous favorite Martindale.
    nw1911guy likes this.

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I must have glossed over that detail. I think Bladesports has a 2 finger chopstick felling category :).
    nw1911guy likes this.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

2 inches was a wrong, it's really 3 inches my bad. Which means is still on the small side and slightly smaller than my hand but I think I'd be able to hold it, at least with a three finger grip :)

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions so far! This one looks amazing! :eek:
    nw1911guy likes this.

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

That Citadel one IS amazing, Oakington. It's my favorite kukri. In addition to the wooden handled one the company makes one with a horn handle. I don't have the fixed blade version of that but I have the folder ... Also very cool. However, it might be a bit slick for extended cutting sessions.

One of the things I like about the Citadel fixed blade Kukri is the build quality, even the sheath is excellent.

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets