1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Automotive Accessory Opinions

Discussion in 'Travel' started by bmstrong, Jan 8, 2017.

1. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Purchased a clean, used Chevy Spark with 27,000 on it. I like it, it's more car than I'll ever need, and that should give you an idea how little I drive, or know anything about cars. I have identified three accessories that I'm looking for opinions on. (38 City!)

Does anyone make a Cordura 500/1000d pouch for the car manuals, Insurance cards, paperwork?

I'd like a nice set of floor mats since the car didn't come with them. I'm open to spending money but I'm not sure it's worth it? Is there an advantage, besides cost, to not ordering OEM mats?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...ts-and-liners/

The previous model I was leasing had Key-less Entry. This Spark moves back to the traditional old school locks. That's fine, but the vehicle is black. I'm worried that the inevitable scratching will happen around the door handle and keyhole. If I was to go down the after-market key-less entry systems what should I look for? What should I expect to pay?

What I'd really by happy with is a cover(?) or some such for the exterior key area...

Last edited by bmstrong, Saturday at 9:59 AM
    #1 bmstrong, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I like Weather Tech floor mats.

It will cost a fortune to do a keyless entry! Get your self a good remote starter, that they can program to unlock the doors.

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Agree. Lots of alarms with both remote start and a key fab to unlock the doors. My car is 3 years old and I doubt I've ever used the actual key to unlock the doors.

Gary Gross likes this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was a Weather Tech user for years but recently have tried Husky Liners in a few cars and really prefer them in general for a lot less money too.

You need mats of some kind but since we don't know where you live it is hard to give specific advice about how much Mat you might need?
    We get Snow and Ice here and lots of Rain and Mud so I like a pan stile Mat that catches all of the slop so I can pour it out and it can;t ruin my carpet or floor of the vehicle,YMMV though?

Also I had been driving a Fit until recently as one of many cars that I have and I really miss the "Tiny Car" in my life!
    Those Spark certainly qualify as Tiny Too!

Have Fun!

5. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Ah. My Bad! I'm in the Cleveland area, plenty of snow/ice/grime.

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I myself am a big fan of winter mats, the rubber kind with raised edges that mud and water will not go through. From time to time you can just take em out and hose em down and you're all set! If you dont need that kind just buy whatever looks nice, feels sturdy and fits your model (you dont want your mats rolling up under the pedals).

Car/stereo manuals are best kept on your mobile device or just in the glove compartment. I would not spend too much on a bag to fit em all. My car still has its original bag with all paperwork and insurance stuff, one of those cheap plastic ones and it works plenty fine for those 4 times a year i need access of any of it.

Remotes can get as cheap as you like to all manufacturer fancy silly money. If you are able and willing to install a system yourself you can have a remote for abouts 50-100 bucks, thats a separate remote fob and not one of those remote and key in one fobs (those need custom cut keys and transponders that add significantly to the overall cost). Those cheap systems have questionable security tho, but given that the bad guys are only able to access the vehicle once you get the wireless coding right and not drive away with it makes it quite a bit more hassle than just breaking a window to get to your stuff. Proper dealer installations can set you back up to a couple thousand depending on brand and what they actually have to install in your car as some stuff will come pre-wired in modern vehicles.

7. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Last edited by bmstrong, Jan 8, 2017
    #7 bmstrong, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

If you get Weather Tech, laser cut for your vehicle. They ARE worth it.

Gary Gross likes this.
  9. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

If you are parking outside overnight in Cleveland get the remote start/entry system the best money you will ever spend. I see it's 16° now and feels like 3°. About the same as down here in Columbus. Depending you want a pan type mat to hold the slush at least in the winter if you can swing the weather tec they will fit... most generic's will be too large.

Gary Gross likes this.
  10. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

That said: WeatherTech ever go on sale? Or do they sell through a third party vendor that offers free ship?

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

As @Westerdutch points out, best thing is to keep the manuals in the 'glove compartment'. If you feel you need a pouch for some reason, see if they'll fit into something like a zip lock type freezer bag. Not worth spending extra money on this sort of thing!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

If you aren't in a hurry put them in your Amazon wish list. I've bought a couple sets when the price drops.

WillAdams likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Give Husky a look too like I already suggested.
    Autoanything has coupons all the time and for first purchase too and were fast for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Husky's out. Already contacted them after your post. Unfortunately they don't offer anything for the Spark.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well thats too bad,but look around the Web for car accessory dealers many offer decent discounts for the first purchase from them.
    There are also a lot more options than I ever knew about for nice mats.

16. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Why do you need a 1000d pouch for your car info?
    Seems overkill.
    Just put your stuff in a bag or source an OEM pouch that came with the car

kikaida and bmstrong like this.
  17. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

One solution on the scratching is to get a plastic key made, and carry that separately from your other keys. Just be prepared to replace the plastic key periodically.

18. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Surprisingly hard to find the OEM pouch, I've tried all morning. This is the EDC forums, right? The pouch has to be 1000d! :) (Alright, maybe 500d!)

Now that I've measured the things I can get away with 7.5" X 5" X 1.5". A nice zip pouch should work...

19. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Yeah, its EDCf but not all of us are silly and think everything needs to be 1000d or something.

kikaida likes this.
  20. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I would spend some time on a forum for Chevy.
    I recently got a wrangler and in the same boat and joined a wrangler forum, and found more than enough items that have been member tested and reviewed.