1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for input... P290?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Drew Whitehead, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Drew Whitehead

Drew Whitehead Loaded Pockets

Anone have experience with the Sig p290? Looking to move up in quality and functionality, and a bit of size, from my Diamondback 9, but stay smaller than my XDS. I'm primarily looking at it from a pocket carry aspect. The 938s are nice, but I don't want to get into a new caliber and I'm not a manual safety kind of guy.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really like mine!
    You want to make sure to get the RS version which are more reliable than the original and it took me some experimentation and practice to get it to feed well at first but now that its broken in it is flawless really.

I feel the same as you about the safety and the double action and long pull are easy to get used to and more safe in my mind too.
    I carry in my back pocket sometimes and also have a few decent holsters for belt carry,mine came with a decent holster too.[​IMG]

Drew Whitehead likes this.
  3. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

Had a 290RS, worked flawless and shot well for a small gun even at 10 and 15 yards. The RS version is nice if you want to pocket carry, etc. but that trigger is loooooong because of it. Takes a bit to get used to and I recommend shooting it fairly often if you're used to shooting or carrying other pistols with short/crisp breaking triggers.

4. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I've had a P290rs for almost two years now and I loved it. It ran flawlessly and I didn't have any issues with the trigger pull. It was very accurate and recoil was negligible for its size at least IMO. My daughter loves the P290rs as well and it's actually now her EDC firearm and its been replaced in my rotation by my Walther PPS M2.

The only thing is I believe they may have discontinued the P290rs as I said in a recent post a friend of mine was at the Sig Factory Store in Exeter and he said there's no longer a display location for it on the display wall and another friend who works at my local gun shop tried to order one for s customer and was told they are no longer available. He said he's never been told that before on an in production firearm so while they still show it on the website now down to one model only I'm not sure if it's still in production.

But if you find one on the used gun market I don't think you'll be disappointed at all it's a somewhat overlooked firearm IMO but has proved to be extremely dependable and while I lament it's loss to me I'm comforted in that its protecting my daughter.

5. Sinkhole

Sinkhole Loaded Pockets

I've been waiting on one. I went to buy one the Tuesday after Christmas and the guy in front on me bought the last one. The guy I deal with most at the LGS said they had 6 and they sold in a few days. my LGS is now a Sig Elite dealer and they are expecting more soon, from what I've been told. At this point i might hold out for another 13 days or so and see if they announce something new at SHOT Show 2017. If the rumors are true that they are discontinuing them, maybe a striker version is in the wings. But who knows.

#5 Sinkhole, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. Drew Whitehead

Drew Whitehead Loaded Pockets

I forgot about SHOT coming up. I may hold off a while longer then also. Thanks for the repsonses everybody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I have talked to three people that own the 290 and they all agree the trigger was total crap. The size is nice but there are other pistols similar in size with the same thing to offer. My .02

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

A lot of triggers are crap and I have gotten used to mine just fine,thats what practice is all about.

9. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I love SIG, but I held a 290 and tried the trigger and it felt horrible in my hand. It just didn't work for me. I went with a Kahr PM9 instead.