1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Making a Paracord belt

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Essexman, Nov 9, 2011.

Essexman Loaded Pockets

I've made a couple of these now and thought I'd share some photos and details.

I used two guides when making them:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-rugged-and-handy-Paracord-Belt/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lZss5Tzp54

You will need ;
    - nice belt buckle
    - paracord
    - something to cut the cord with
    - something to melt/burn the cord with
    - something to measure the cord and your waist
    - lots of time

When you first get your cord you will need to pre shrink it. I put mine in the sink for approx 20 mins with warm to hot water. Then take it out and let it dry.

[IMG]

For this belt I ended up using 40 foot of Orange and 50 foot of Tan for a 52 inch waist belt.

This is how I start the belt.
    [IMG]

The outer orange and tan cords are my working ends, the inside orange pair are the core cords.

For the details of weaving the cobra stitch watch the youtube link above

After a while it become second nature and you just have to keep going, checking that you don't make any mistakes along the way.
    [IMG]

and some more
    [IMG]

When you get near your waist length you need to think about the end. I went approx 5 inches past the waist length and then started the end work.

Now take the two outer working cords and make a a cobra weave
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I have the advantage of having a paracord needle for the next part, but you can do the same with other tools.
    [IMG]

Now feed the cord back under the weave. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE BACK OF THE BELT!
    [IMG]

and after some time you sould have something like this
    [IMG]

Cut the cords and burn/melt flatten the ends. Yes it looks a mess, but no one will see that side (if you did it right!)
    [IMG]

you see..otherside
    [IMG]

This is how to make the loop to keep the tail in place
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

and then weave the cobra stitch again
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

How it should look in the end
    [IMG]

I my have missed some points, feel free to ask questions.

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

Great tutorial!

Falco57 Loaded Pockets

I agree! Compliments

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fgials Loaded Pockets

That turned out awesome

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Superb pictorial - thank you sir O0

I also wanted to ask, are these actually comfortable to wear?
    • +3 Supporter

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Fantastic! Off to look for a buckle and order some paracord. It's always useful to have more belts.

Essexman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Yes very! It's hard to describe, soft but firm, if you know what I mean. I had read that they were nice to wear which was the main reason I made one for myself.

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Do you tie this in hand or do you anchor the buckle and keep the core cords under tension when you tie it? I have found if you have some tension to the core you get more consistancy in the knots.

Essexman Loaded Pockets

I made it in hand. Every few inches I pulled the whole length tight.

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

ATF Loaded Pockets

Good choice of colors, great finished product, excellent job!

How many hours did it take to complete?

Essexman Loaded Pockets

I didn't time myself. The first belt I made was for a 32 inch waist, took me about 2 to 3 hours. The one above was for a 52 inch waist, took anout 3 to 4.5 hours. It sounds like a lot of time, but that's not all in one sitting. I would do 30 to 45 minutes at a time. That way it's broken up into a few blocks, which makes it not so hard.

Tofty Loaded Pockets

Wish i'd had this tutorial the first time round, great job.

I like the paracord needle, where might i get one like it?

Essexman Loaded Pockets

Keep it a secret - You can't buy them. You have to train for years to be allowed to use them, and then you have to find a lathe smith with the skills required to make one for you. There's only a handfull of such men in the world who can turn them.

Oh and the Ti is rare as rocking horse poo. It's cast from the stolen parts of a space shuttle by naked virgins on a remote British Isle once a year. Then sold via a network of criminals.

I managed to buy the Ti of a contact in Bow (East London), I can't say where as I was blidfolded on route. But I could here the sound of water and narrow boats. I'm sure I was near Bow Locks.

So to give it it's full name, it's a Bow Locks Ti ninja paracord tactical needle.

Don't tell anyone I told you, right? ;D

Tofty Loaded Pockets

Drat!

Oh well first things first, i'm off to find this island to do a bit of smelting!

Essexman Loaded Pockets

I'm guessing it was near the East end on London, Canvey Island?

paoylin1 Loaded Pockets

awesome, thanks

crags99 Empty Pockets

That's awesome. Looks like I'm adding that to my list of to-dos! Great job on the tutorial!

jayceblk Empty Pockets

For this belt I ended up using 40 foot of Orange and 50 foot of Tan for a 52 inch waist belt.

I've got a few questions I was wondering if you can help me with. If I'm seeing this right then the middle tan is folded in half making 2 sections at 25ft of cord. I'm confused at the 40' ft of orange. Does that mean that there are 2 sections at 20' each equally hung on the outside at 10' apiece (each strand) or is it 20' ft where you have the core end shorter than the outer end that your weaving with?

c.southers Loaded Pockets

Cool looking belt