1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

MateFrio's DIY Wallet Key Holder

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by MateFrio, Sep 29, 2011.

MateFrio Empty Pockets

Two keys kept as spares off the key chain and in a wallet kept floating out of the wallet. Looking for a solution I came across this on amazon:
    [IMG]
    Unfortunately the only review states that the plastic broke after a month of useage.

So, I thought I've got some plastic that's hard to break and I can DIY this.

Attempt #1

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Keys held in well, looks good but I think it could be made better.

Attempt #2

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

These hold much tighter than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised. To test I threw them across the room and didn't loose a key.

Much better as it's more secure.

Some notes. Measure twice, cut once.

Cut from the outside of the cut to the center or you'll go over the lines easy.

Watch out for those fingers. Slippery plastic and razor sharp blades skip over each other.

Score your line first very very lightly and then bend the card. It'll crack down into the card more than cutting it for 15 min with accomplish.

Cut from the back of the card. It's flat.

When you've bent the card look for a line in front. It helps a bunch if you cut the thin film in front.

Don't try cutting the front film from the back as it'll take lots of time.

Practice on a card you don't care about first. I'd have rather had the AMEX teaser card as the one I carry and not the QT gift card.

Post your end results here, pictures or experiences making.

parnass Loaded Pockets

Good job, MateFrio. Welcome to the forum.

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Great stuff. Welcome to the forum ;D
    • +1 Supporter

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

Great job - that's an impressive first post! :thumbsup:

I like your solution, but I remember years ago (at least 20) seeing a plastic card with a fold-out plastic key for emergency use. The card was as thick as the plastic key, so it wouldn't create a lump in the wallet. I wonder if something like that could be done, but using metal keys. Just a thought...

MateFrio Empty Pockets

Toyota cars had backup keys that fit into your wallet:

[IMG]
    • +1 Supporter

Thanks for posting that! That's very similar to the one that I remember seeing.

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Great idea.
    IF you drilled a small hole at the start & finish of the "cuts/slits" they'd be less likely to rip or tear & would look a little neater, too.
    • +1 Supporter

Good idea - it would also make them easier to start. Alternately, they could be melted in if you don't have a drill.

doktorziplok Loaded Pockets

you could glue or tape a key to a card. no cutting required.
    • +1 Supporter

ATF Loaded Pockets

I didn't even know things like this existed. I thought I was so cool when I made this one a few weeks ago. LOL
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Atomic Loaded Pockets

Pretty that up some ATF and you're on to something.

Good job as well Mate.

Reid Loaded Pockets

Awesome! I love these home made ideas.

Do the plastic keys work? I've seen them, but never tried one in use.