1. Due to an overwhelming amount of new registrations we have temporarily turned off new sign ups untill we have caught up with the back log. Don't dispair we will be accepting new members again soon.
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Metal Toothpicks

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Codeman, May 11, 2007.

Codeman Loaded Pockets

After I was infected by the need for a Cash Can, I noticed that SunshineProductsUSA also carries metal toothpicks. Although I usually have a wooden one either with me or close by, I've wanted a metal one for a while. They're quite handy for all sorts of tasks, such as removing o-rings from my flashlights and resetting my PDA and wireless mouse, beside the usual tooth duties. I couldn't make up my mind on whether to get one in stainless steel or copper, so I ended up with both. Thanks to SSP-USA for help in adding the SS one to my existing order! O0

[IMG]

Like the Cash Can, the craftsmanship is excellent. Dimensions are approximately the same as a standard round toothpick - 2.5" x 0.09". They are perfectly straight and symmetrical, with no machine marks at all. The copper one has a slightly smaller diameter. Both weigh 1.9 gms.

I really like have only a single tapered end. The 4 notches in the non-tapered end make it quite easy to grip. Plus, in an emergency, they would be perfect for using fishing line or such to lash them to sticks for snares and such. They would also allow turning the toothpick into a make-shift needle, if you have some thread handy.

While these toothpicks aren't sharp like a needle, the point is small enough that I pushed one under my skin acidentally. If you want a sharp point, any fishhook sharpener should get these sharp with very little effort.

I was also tempted to get a holder, but what I really wanted was something with an extremely small footprint. After thinking and tinkering, I grew a bit frustrated. All I wanted was a thin sleeve, like the wrappers that single toothpicks come in. ΒΌ" heat shrink to the rescue!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now, the only question is whether to keep them in my wallet, or the knife-slot of my Victorinox Swisscard.

luigi Loaded Pockets

They are very nice.
    But they are too expensive for me, $19 is a lot for a toothpick.
    Good idea with the shrinking tube!

Luigi

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I wondered if $20 was too much when I ordered. Now that I have them, though, I think it's a fair price.

jymkym1 Loaded Pockets

i just ordered one stainless and one copper, also a brass pick holder.....i carry tea tree chew sticks alot, the holder will make it handy to carry a few at a time.........

tvodrd Empty Pockets

I wonder if using a copper tooth pick could result in the same unpleasant sensation I get biting on a piece of aluminum foil? :green:

Larry

luigi Loaded Pockets

It will probably be painful according to this explanation

Luigi

tvodrd Empty Pockets

I didn't mention the stainless one as corrosion resistance is related to electrochemical potential. I was very surprised to see how low copper's is! The complete reaction would have to include the amalgam used in my fillings and the resulting current generated would also be dependent on the acidity of my mouth. (Or fingers, in the case of this post. :green: ;D )

Larry

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Well, I gave it my best try, but neither al foil nor the copper toothpick caused me to turn into a battery. I've got plenty of crowns and fillings, too. Too bad...I was thinking about installing an LED! :D :lolhammer:
    SThr likes this.

luigi Loaded Pockets

Maybe your fillings are not metal or if you have a root canal the tooth is not sensitive.
    Many composite materials in the modern days :)
    If you chew aluminium foil with a metal crown/filling you really get an unpleasant feeling.

Luigi

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Last time I checked, gold qualifies as a metal. :p

Maybe I'm not acidic enough! :green:

luigi Loaded Pockets

Gold is quite a good conductor :)
    So Codeman, what did they give you for gold? :p

Luigi

parnass Loaded Pockets

I would check with my dentist before using a toothpick made of steel or other material harder than natural tooth enamel.

DefNaru Empty Pockets

James Coogler sometimes make Titanium toothpicks. Picked one up awhile ago for no reason except that it was made of ti lol.