1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

Mini pry bars

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by 2die4, Jan 18, 2012.

2die4 Loaded Pockets

So as I construct the perfect EDC bag I have been wondering do I need a mini pry bars/key chain pry bars? So I am curious about the other mini pry bar owners out there. Have you used your tool or is it collecting dust in your EDC bag?

ATF Loaded Pockets

I've only used mine like once or twice. Personally, I could go without it.
    low_down likes this.
  1. good thread, im wanting one myself
    They seem handy (and cheap), but at the same time, I rarely think "Man, I wish I had something to pry this up with!"

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine get used as a bottle opener. They are generally too small to pry anything and tips too thick to lift a staple. If I didn't have one, it would be no big deal.

2die4 Loaded Pockets

Exactly!
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

I have rarely used one but I have damaged the tip of a knife many times as I didn't have the right tool at the time. I think of them more as a knife tip saver, in all cases where a mini-prybar would have worked the knife worked fine for the job but unfortunately it sometimes resulted in a damaged blade.
    warchild likes this.

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

I have one but it rarely sees action. I am a white collar guy, so my multitool handles most jobs. I still like it, but I probably would replace it if I lost it.

2die4 Loaded Pockets

John you bring up a good point about it being a tip saver. Never thought of it that way.
    Mammoth likes this.

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a Gerber Artifact on my keyring but took it off due to not using it. I have one of these in my backpack
    [IMG]
    But I haven't needed it for prying yet. Maybe one day...
    ManVsLawn likes this.

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

For carry in a bag, I wouldn't bother with a mini one. A bigger one can come in handy. If you have an old car, and the trunk sticks . . . There you go.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Azwaiian Loaded Pockets

I've looked at pry bars, in various sizes, many times, but I've never purchased one. I keep thinking that I've never needed one before, so why buy one. I'm going to keep coming back to this thread, to see how if those who EDC a pry bar, use them a lot.

thePlumbah Meowderator

I take it you wouldn't plan to carry it in the trunk. :)

thePlumbah Meowderator

I'm a blue collar, tax payin', backbone of the country kinda guy. I use mine often. But then I spend 6-10 hrs a day, 5-6 days a week, running to the truck for a tool.

I carry a 4" County Comm WidgeyBar in my VIC's pouch and use it daily. Well I didn't use it today. I gave 3 estimates and made nice on a couple of guys call backs for them today. Didn't actually use a tool for work today. Did have to get my tweezers out for a guy to get a splinter out, but that's a different thread.

[IMG]
    EDC 023 by SAKplumber, on Flickr
    [IMG]
    VictorinoxSpirit Plu Ratchet w/ a 4" Widgey Bar by SAKplumber, on Flickr
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared

:) I always figured that if you ever damaged a knife tip you just found a use for a mini-pry bar.

thePlumbah Meowderator

Clever! :laugh:

JAfromMn Banned

I use my pocket tool all the time for scraping and prying. I Also got a small pry bar in my bag that hardly ever get's used.

I'm no help;D

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

The ones used to open paint cans can be useful. Cut the curved end off and it fits OK on a keychain.
    [IMG]
    Doraemon likes this.

thePlumbah Meowderator

Don't you have some of these for sale on the Buy-Sell-Trade thread?

thePlumbah Meowderator

JAfromMn Banned

^Good idea Hatchetjack

I should cut the one in my bag down I'd probable use it more.