1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

New ZDP-189 Calypso Jr

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jag-engr, Sep 7, 2007.

• +1 Supporter

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

Announcing the newest addition to my Spyderco Calypso family ... a black FRN PE, ZDP-189 Calypso Jr!

I just got the knife from MSCantrell an hour ago.

The knife is beautiful. I really like the aesthetics of the laminate line on the blade. Some people have complained about the irregular, wavy line, but I think it adds to the knife - like the pattern in a Damascus steel. I was surprised at just how "grippy" the fish-scale pattern on the handle is. The grip it provides is every bit as good as G-10 (though I think I still prefer G-10). I think the slightly wider handle is actually better than that on the Caly3! Unfortunately, like the Caly3, the forward finger choil is shallow, unlike the deep choil on the UKPK. I suspect that this is simply a constraint of the locking mechanism and can't be helped.

My only real gripe with the Caly Jr is the awful clip. Maybe I shouldn't say this, as it is, at least, ambidextrous, but I guess that I've gotten spoiled by the wonderful tip-up wire clip on the Caly3 and UKPK. It's too bad that the knife can't support tip-up carry.

I've yet to use the blade enough to really give an opinion on the ZDP, but I think this knife will secure a spot in my EDC rotation, especially since it is lighter (1.9 oz) than either the UKPK (2.4 oz) or the Caly3 (3.0 oz).
    • Administrator

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Yep, it's a beauty. For a really long time, the old micarta handled AUS-8 Caly Jr was my favorite knife ever. Then I got the FRN ZDP-version and now it is my all time favorite knife. The AUS-8 version is still #2, though. The Dragonfly - or baby-Calypso, as I like to call it - is my #3 favorite. Personally, I don't mind the clips at all.

Btw, the micarta handle is not as grippy as the fish-scale FRN or G-10, but it is smoother and rounder so it's more comfortable. Not that the other Calypsos are uncomfortable in any way either, but that's where the micarta one excels.

TKC Loaded Pockets

Congrats on scoring a a ZDP-189 Caly Jr.

LowTEC Empty Pockets

Calypso Jr. ZDP was my favorite EDC, extremely light and sharp, it only lacks of jimping though. My Caly3 ZDP solved the problem :)