1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Non-weapon Weapons

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Simplicity05, May 25, 2013.

1. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

It's sort of an improvised slungshot. The real thing is a sailors weapon. I'ts basically a monkey's fist tied out of cordage, with a wrist loop and a lead or brass weight inside the monkey's fist.

While slungshots are widely illegal, the beauty of the slungshot is that an improvised model can be kept disassembled and then put together as needed. For example, that lock may be carried in one pocket while a rope/length of chain/sock is carried in another. Assemble it when you're expecting trouble, and then take it apart when you're not. As long as the disassembled components are legal by themselves, you're safe from getting hassled by the cops until it's put together.

You might run into trouble if you actually have to use it, but otherwise this minimises the risk of carrying an effective weapon in plain sight.

Inner Prop likes this.
  2. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

3. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

You would have to drink the soda and replace it on a regular basis, otherwise when they find an old can of pop in an old bag they are going to know it was intended as a weapon all along.

I do like the idea of using a grocery bag with a can or two.

4. Inner Prop

I ride a bike to work, so I have a padlock. Not only is is legal to have a padlock in your pocket, I'm actually using it for it's intended purpose. I might keep a length of chain nearby. That too is legal and I'm using it for its intended purpose.

I've read that tatical pens, because they are advertized as weapons are considered weapons and there is intent, even though they are legal and used as pens 99% of the time.

Question is, in order to use my lock and chain effectively I need to train with it and where I train with it will be scarred by my training. If I have a tree or a piece of lumber I use as a target to practice my aim, it will look like it's beat up with a slungshot. Is that enough to say that I had intention?

5. Drewglynn

Drewglynn Loaded Pockets

Road flare..

defuse kit likes this.
  6. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Ah, grasshopper, you put cart before horse. Must build training weapon first!

You'll need a tennis ball, some cordage, and a sharp knife. I used an old tennis ball I found in the street (no need to spend money if you don't have to!). Cut a hole in the tennis ball that's only big enough to pass your cordage through.

The hard part is getting the cord through the ball. For the life of me, I can't remember how I did this, but I do remember it was a pain the butt. Be creative. Remember, it doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to work.

Once it's though, tie a knot in the end to keep the ball from slipping off. You can use excess cord to build up the handle, or tape, or whatever. Traditionally, the slungshot has a wrist-loop to help keep it in the hand, and you may want to add one for your trainer.

I'd say that you want maybe 4-6 inches of cord between your fist and the ball. The further it sticks out of your fist, the harder it will be to control. A thicker, or stiffer cord may also help.

Now it's time to test it out. Give it a few swings and see how it feels. If it works well, that's fine. If it doesn't, you may need to add a little weight. I was considering just making a small incision in the ball, and filling it full of silicone. This will add weight, but still keep the ball squishy.

Your trainer should now be able to hit trees and other hard objects without doing too much damage. Be careful when training with the slungshot. Because the head is going to be quite close to your fist, it is possible that both your head and your fist could hit the target. I would suggest starting out with slow swings to get the idea of how it moves, and then slowly speeding up, to get a feel for how it swings. I'd also suggest padding your tree with an old pillow, some carpeting, or foam or whatever to protect your hand if you screw up.

You shouldn't need too much practice because the slungshot is essentially just an extension of your arm. It's really quite easy to learn.

7. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Does this count?

I carry a CRKT Tao pen as an unbreakable pen, not a kubotan.
    I use it every day at work in a school and no one bats an eyelid.

8. Inner Prop

Good points, Slipjoint, thanks.

9. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

When leaving the gym, I used to have my keychain lanyard looped around my stainless nalgene bottle, making it convenient to carry both bottle and keys to my car. It must have appeared menacing to a fellow walking towards me one night, because he kept a 30 ft gap between us once he saw it; choosing to ask for directions in a louder voice.

keith1234 and Inner Prop like this.
  10. Inner Prop

11. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

That's pretty close to a slungshot. If you wrapped the cord halfway with tape and left a wrist loop at the bottom, it would be just about perfect.

12. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Wow, some bizarre posts that get really off the beam.

The whole purpose of non weapon weapons is that they go un noticed in everyday life by not only the masses, but the authorities as well. Slung shot weapons that need to be 'assembeld' or items not having a real everyday use, will stand out, and if worse comes to worse, make you look like a crack pot in court. I can just see some over eager politicly aspiring assitand DA looking over what looks like a Argentine homemade bolo, or makeshift blackjack, and going for the gold ring.

It's so easy to use everyday objects like pens, canes, flashlights, why put yourself at risk using some wacko homespun item that can't be explained away in a court of law. And you will end up in a court. Even if the low life is convicted of assaulting you, he or his family will get a ambulance chasing lawyer to sue you for taking out his eye, or other grievous injury, and paianting you in court as a internet mall ninja making weird weapons with weights and ropes and such.

Stick to the thing anyone would have on them. A good test mode is; will it go through TSA securty and onto an airline.

KOKUSHI MUSOU and warchild like this.
  13. Inner Prop

My question stemmed from what I do carry with me everyday (at least everyday I ride my bike to work). I do have a lock and chain. Since I have it on hand I could possibly use it as a weapon, but things like that are useless unless you train with them as weapons.

A pen would be too, unless you practice. My question would work both for my lock and chain as well as a pen. Would evidence of your practice be enough evidence to show intent?

I would be more suspect if I carried a cane I didn't need than a lock and chain that I did, wouldn't I?

14. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

You can prove you need a lock and chain and none can prove that you don't need a cane after you walk too much... None can prove that you are not in pain if you don't use a cane when you "need" it...

warchild likes this.
  15. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • The Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

100% Correct, Just don't weight the cane in anticipation of trouble and your gonna be fine.

Aleister likes this.
  16. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I tell people this all the time. Flares are useful in an emergency and scary as a weapon. Signaling and fire starting are super easy. And as an improvised weapon, they're bright, hot, and loud. Very dissuasive.

17. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

You don't have to. Under the Americans With Disability act, they can't inquire as to the nature of your disability, or injury, whether or not it's permanent or temporary. Your medical condition and/or record is none of their business, and if they push the issue, they are open for a legal action that will put money in your retirement account. Try going through security with a padlock and chain without your bicycle and see how far you get.

Aleister likes this.
  18. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't think the ada will protect you from prosecution for using your cane as a weapon. But like most here I'll carry what I can legally carry, use what I feel I must to defend myself, then hire a good lawyer if someone has an issue with it later

Remember, big brother is watching

SAKplumber and Aleister like this.
  19. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

lock in a sock....bop on the head and it's crayons for Christmas.....

or go small....

[​IMG]

You can be dead and out of work....or alive and out of work.....just saying.

SAKplumber and Ross Thompson like this.
  20. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Zippos are cool....:)

mwoj and Aleister like this.