1. Are you a current member with account or password issues? Email us with username, email & what the issue is.

"One key to rule them all" Squirt PS4 custom Key mod

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by JaredEDC, Jul 14, 2010.

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

[IMG][IMG]
    I've had this idea idea in my head for months. It started when I realized I had too many keys on my key ring. I wanted to only have one key. A universal key that didn't jingle around with other keys in my pocket.

I bought a rekey kit from eBay to consolidate the Schlage SC1 locks and a new cylinder to change my sliding patio door from a Kwikset to a Schlage.

I was inspired by the Leatherman Micra key mod to put the key in a multi-tool, but I wanted something other than the Micra. I had some other multi tools that I considered using, but when I saw the Squirt PS4 announced I knew it would be superior than anything else I had found.

Here is a guide: I captioned the images for people who want to go through it quickly

Please let me know if you want to see the images, but they have expired from tinypic. I will upload them again.

I elected to get rid of the scissors because I felt they would be the least used tool.
    [IMG]

Aligning the scissors up to the key for a pattern was actually the most difficult part. I wanted to make sure the pattern was straight so I had to keep the scissors closed while I was trying to clamp it. An extra spring loaded clamp at the end helped keep it in position.
    [IMG]

I used a fiber reinforced cutting wheel with a Dremel to make all of my cuts. Removing all of the excess by cross cutting before grinding the pattern in to the key was a quick method.
    A FACE MASK AND GOGGLES ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED WHILE CUTTING THE KEY. THE KEY PARTICLES ARE VERY HARMFUL.
    [IMG]

You could probably use a drum sanding bit to get the nice rounded shape around the edge, but make sure to switch from a rough bit to a smooth one before your shaping is all the way finished.
    [IMG]

Once its cut do a test fit to see if you need to grind any more.
    [IMG]

I ran in to some trouble when trying to get the key to close. Some plastic was in the way. I wanted to keep the top and bottom stops on the key so it would fit in to the lock nicely. You could probably cut the stop on the top of the key so it doesn't protrude from the leatherman as much, but I left it for now. [Update 7/16/10 I cut off the stop which was sticking out, see updated pics below] I did loosen up the opposite end to get the black plastic to pivot away from the metal so I could grind it.
    [IMG]

Once the bottom stop fit in there was another point near the end of the key that hit the plastic.
    [IMG]

Put it all back together and you're done!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Why did you bother buying a tool with the scissors in?!

The older P4 would have been cheaper. Nice mod though :)

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

Thank you!

Along with the other updates from the P4 model the PS4 has the torx bolts instead of the rivets which was my main decision to go with it.

jag-engr Liberal Hall Monitor

Thanks for the awesome tutorial, Jared! I wish I could get down to just one key... :sigh:

Personally, I would have replaced the knife blade. The scissors on my Midnite Manager get more use than any other tool. I have yet to use the knife blade, since it is too tiny and wobbly to safely use and I always carry a "real" folder, anyway.

JP Loaded Pockets

Having one key would be great. Is it expensive to buy a rekey kit? I would probably be be better off hiring a professional!

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

Check out the eBay link in my first post. I think I paid about $10 for a basic kit which included some pins and a cylinder tool so the springs don't pop out.

I figured it would be more fun to do it myself.

al66pine Loaded Pockets

JaredEDC
    Great concept.
    Excellent work on the project itself.
    And a terrific tutorial, w. captioning-in-pix and explanations.
    Anybody doing a how-to should aspire to your level of expertise.
    Does all this know-how tie with what you do when you are not edcforum'ing and buying and modding gear?
    Thx.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Nice work!!!

I, too, noticed that the new Squirt uses torx screws, and wondered about the mod possibilities. But after all that thinking, the mod I really want to do is pretty simple: turn around the knife blade, scissors and file so they pivot at the other end, i.e. not the same end as the plier pivots.

Since you've already taken yours apart, maybe you can tell me: are the backsprings for those implements symmetrical? I'm assuming I'll have to turn the scales around, too, but is there anything that could present a problem?

Thanks!

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

Thank you for the compliments! I'm happy if anyone can benefit from the pictures.

My profession is sales, but i've always enjoyed doing projects. I have a small garage packed full of tools and gadgets that I try not to neglect, but its tough for me to finish projects that I have started. This one was nice and quick which is my favorite.

Yes, the springs look like they are symmetrical. It looks to me like you should have no problem switching the blade from one side to the other even without rearranging the scales. Check it out, I took a picture of the inside of the knife. You will probably want to swap the file and the knife so you can still use the thumbnail cutout, but I'm sure you will see that once you turn it around.
    [IMG]

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

I'm sorry for the picture, my phone didn't want to focus on this one very well. It was more interested in the blueprint on my desk.

One thing I wanted to mention about this mod is the extra room available on the side where I put the key. The scale is thinner which allows for the extra width of the scissors. If you wanted to replace a different tool with a key you would probably need to do some modifications to the scales . Sand it down and maybe use a super thin washer between the key and the modified scale.
    [IMG]

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

After using this mod for a couple days I realized it isn't necessary to keep the part sticking out of the key. It doesn't seem to come in contact with any of the key cylinders. I used a fiber cutting wheel to get rid of the excess material and a 932 stone grinding bit to even out the texture.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

kaotick BST/Marketplace ban

I think that key is photoshopped, but if it isn't. It looks like a Bump key. Which is illegal.
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Of course it's 'shopped. He rekeyed his entire life to that particular key, do you think he wants the whole world to be able to duplicate it?

Cdub Empty Pockets

Jared,

I love the key mod to the PS4. I am planning to do a variation on your idea.

I am going to attach keys to the outside of the casing. this way I will be able to get 4 keys added onto the PS4. I have already sourced longer screws to accommodate this.

My question is this. How do you reassemble the "springs" for the locking plier PS4 after pulling all the tools of the pin. The end of the springs seem to barely cover the pin hole (probably what gives it tension) and I cant figure out how to push it out of the way enough to get the pin though the hole in the silver housing(that says Leatherman) of the plier "springs".

Any info on reassembly would be great!

Thanks,
    Chris

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

It was tough to get the pliers back on the bolt because the tension, but all you can really do is just keep working at it. I didn't have any specific method other than just keep pushing.

I like your idea of more keys on the outside. Getting a bolt that fits perfectly sounds tough. Are you going to put spacers between the key and the scales? What are you going to use as the spacer?

Cdub Empty Pockets

"I didn't have any specific method other than just keep pushing."

HAHAHA...thats what I was afraid of...I guess I need to push harder...LOL

I figure I will be able to put one key on each side for a total of 4 keys.

I was able to source a bolt that is longer and fits the pin. It took a while to track down, but I found a source on line.

I know I should put spacers between the keys. I'm thinking of just making some.

Do you think the spacers should be on either side of the key?

what would happen if I didn't place spacers? would the screw eventually come loose?

You bring up a lot good questions. thanks for your input.

EvilOlivE Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone! This is my first post on these forums but I wanted to contribute to this thread since it's given me some inspiration to try this myself.

I saw the micra key mod a while back and decided to try it with a Gerber shortcut. I chose the shortcut because I feel like I use scissors way more than pliers. I put two keys on the Gerber and it worked really well for a few weeks until one day it just fell apart when I was opening my front door. The keys are wider than the tools so the torx bolts were only hanging on by 2-3 threads so when I turned the key with a little more pressure than normal it just exploded in my hand. POS Gerber.

Then I found this thread about a week ago and thought the squirt would be a better tool to try this again with. But I wanted to put three keys on this time and I wanted to have main scissors instead of pliers. So I bought a PS4 and a S4, sacrificed the S4 to swap out the pliers for the scissors, fit three keys in, and kept the blade to make the perfect key tool for myself.

I feel like I did a lot better job this time. The spacing worked out better than I thought it would and the bolts feel like they’re threaded in just as far as stock so it shouldn’t fall apart like the Gerber. I also made sure all the keys pivot on the end that the scissors attach to so it would take the toque better. When I would torque the Gerber the handles would skew apart which probably helped lead to its demise. Only thing is that I wish I could have got the car keys to sit a little more flush but the tool is so small and I if I moved the pivot hole in any further the key would be too short to work.

I really like these mods because I hate having sharp keys in my pockets. I ride BMX a lot and most of the time I need to have my keys with me but falling 10 feet to flat on concrete hurts enough without falling on some sharp keys ready to stab you in your leg. I just got one of those mykeyport.com key holders too. It’s cool because I can fit all 5 keys that I need and still have a slot left over for a bottle opener, but I like this squirt mod better because its even smaller and fits in my jeans change pocket, has the three keys that I need 90% of the time, and has scissors and a blade. Last thing I want to do is cross out where it says PS4 and etch in SK4 just to finish it off haha.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

Awesome job EvilOlivE! I like the scissor mod. I'm really pleased to see more tailoring the new squirt to their needs. Its such a versatile little tool!

JaredEDC Empty Pockets

I think you should have a spacer at least between the key and the scales. You wouldn't want to scratch up the scales every time you open the key. The trick is going to be getting the bolt the perfect size so it isn't so tight it will come loose when you operate the tools and so it isn't so loose the keys open on their own.

EvilOlivE Loaded Pockets

Thanks Jared! Your pictures definitely helped me, so thanks for that too. The addition of the torx bolts on these PS4’s really open the door to try all kinds of stuff. Everything came apart and went back together very easily, very mod friendly. The Gerber had one bolt that would not budge from the beginning making the moding very difficult. And it just felt cheap and flexy. This leatherman feels very solid so I think it should last a lot longer.

I’m pretty happy with the way it came out considering the only tools I used was a Dremel tool, vice grips, two torx wrenches, sand paper, and a Juice S2!